VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Retroactive pay

Rate this question

Turks

Question

Hello, I have a claim that was closed last week and i got back pay before i actually recieve my rating but then my rating got updated and it matched the back pay. My issue that i have now is that my claim was closed and i have back pay pending again but this time is seems that that pending back pay and the pay i have already recieved is more than what my closed rating is. So will my closed claim update to a higher rating or is it possible that the va had messed up and is giving me to much?

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Turks . Welcome to Hadit. Don't know. You asked "is it possible that the VA has messed up?" Yup; we're talking about the VA here. I would just call Peggy, 800-827-100, and tell the rep what's going on. You can ask for an audit, but really, you need to get your decision letter to understand what their position is currently.  But you are on the right path though. If they overpay, they will eventually come after you. If you're pretty certain, set aside the extra so it doesn't hurt so bad when they come after you.

You wont know for sure until you get the envelope.  What do "letters" in ebenefits say?  That, also, may help.  

Also likely:  

You figured your back pay based on the effective date on ebenefits.  Ebenefits effective date is almost always wrong.  They put the date of "the last Cola" which would be Dec. 1, 2020.  And. that is rarely correct.  You wont know the effective date until you get the envelope.  

I agree with Bronco, wait for your decision letter and it will explain what the VA did. I recently won an EED (Earlier Effective Date) several years ago and the VA paid me two separate retro payments. One for my initial payment and one for the fact that my rating had went above 30% for my dependents. So, try to take a deep breath and wait for your decision letter.

On 2/14/2021 at 5:26 PM, broncovet said:

You wont know for sure until you get the envelope.  What do "letters" in ebenefits say?  That, also, may help.  

Also likely:  

You figured your back pay based on the effective date on ebenefits.  Ebenefits effective date is almost always wrong.  They put the date of "the last Cola" which would be Dec. 1, 2020.  And. that is rarely correct.  You wont know the effective date until you get the envelope.  

The letters say 30% and the back pay for that is correct its just weird how the claim closed but i still have another retroactive pay pending but illl do what pacman and bronco says and just wait for the envelope. Thank you for the help.

Edited by Turks

On 2/15/2021 at 1:37 AM, pacmanx1 said:

I agree with Bronco, wait for your decision letter and it will explain what the VA did. I recently won an EED (Earlier Effective Date) several years ago and the VA paid me two separate retro payments. One for my initial payment and one for the fact that my rating had went above 30% for my dependents. So, try to take a deep breath and wait for your decision letter.

Thank you I appreciate the advice ill wait for the letter.

3 hours ago, Turks said:

Thank you I appreciate the advice ill wait for the letter.

I may be totally wrong, but it looks like this may be the case. I am really not sure why the VA can't do a rating and pay for the dependents at the same time but only time will tell.

Congratulations on your win!