VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filed for Hearing loss

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

Tinnitus they said 10% due to my TBI. But I wore these bad boys in Afghanistan and in the states upon my return in 2009/2010 and we know by the 3M lawsuit it could have definitely been the cause. But I didnt think hearing loss was something they rate just tinnitus, just want to know if there’s something else that they will rate and not attribute it to my TBI but possibly anything else other then my TBI? The two at the bottom are what there rated under 

C863CD8D-09B6-488A-AB80-A78FA213059D.jpeg

F5F545DD-61EA-4CD8-A32F-5580158E6045.jpeg

Edited by jfrei

They rate hearing loss separate from tinnitus.  But, it is hard to get compensated for it.  You just about have to be deaf, or have a speech problem related to your hearing loss, i.e., comprehension.  The examiner says "bat" and you respond "cat".  My hearing tones are in the 50's and 60's, but my comprehension is 100%.  So, as my signature line, you'll get nothing and like it, says. 0%.

I am service connected for tinnitus for 10% for left ear, and service connected for bilateral hearing loss at 0%.

Gook luck,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

As we say often, each claim is different. But I have seen almost every time is if the veteran is service connected and rated for hearing, even if it is at 0% , he or she will most likely receive a separate rating (10%) for tinnitus. They are two separate disabilities, and are therefore rated separately. If you submit a statement in support of the claim in support of the disability, you should be good to go IMHO.

0% percent is still service connected that is all I want Im already 10% for tinnitus but Ive never filed for hearing loss until now years after the spouse and kids telling me my hearing sucks 

Edited by jfrei

• HadIt.com Elder

Jfrei You're spot on. 0% means you are service connected for hearing. If or when you need hearing aides, you are covered. I understand if the tinnitus is really bad, you can get some ha that will "cancel" out some of the background noise. I never checked it out. Give it 2-3 years and if your hearing is worse, file for an increase. They aren't going to take away s-c for a disability rated at 0%. Not much to lose. If your hearing is bad enough, you may get the bump to 10% on the rebound.

• HadIt.com Elder
55 minutes ago, jfrei said:

0% percent is still service connected that is all I want Im already 10% for tinnitus but Ive never filed for hearing loss until now years after the spouse and kids telling me my hearing sucks 

Your service connected for hearing loss now  that's the big part.

However it should be fairly easy to prove your hearing loss  when it gets worse and the test indicate a sensorial bilaterally noise induced hearing loss

you have a TBI  and that can contribute to your hearing loss...

if you have a ringing/buzzing noise in your head  you will need to tell the audiologist this. .its called tinnitus.  and it has a 10% rating for both ears   .I think they have a 5% for each ear but they can't differentiate the difference so they rate both ears at 10%

TBI Vets get run through the mill on health check ups  because the TBI can be related or caused by most any health conditions later on in life.

So I’m rated 30% for dizziness and lightheaded ness and 10% for tinnitus. Being that the doctor said I have a mild hearing loss and spoke with me about hearing aids and that the VA would cover them I’m assuming SC especially when he pulled out his hearing aids and said you can’t even tell but you gotta ask your va hospital if your rates high enough they’ll cover the costs and then he saw 100% tbi residuals and was I’m writing up the report, and then logged into today and can’t see if claims closed or my disability list. Never a bad sign had claim closed and no changes usually not good but my list is super long all like to my service this would make 11..,