VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Hill worth climbing?

Rate this question

staticline

Question

Hello and thanks for reading. I have tried to research the FAQ but keep getting the error message " We could not locate the item you are trying to view. Error code: 2F176/1", so hopefully this is not to repetitive. First a little bit of a back story- I have 44 years combined service for pay (Both active duty (combat) Active Reserve, NG and returns to Active duty for deployments. I used a state VA representative to help file my claim and during the process (the VSO) filed all my claims at one time. These included PTSD, Type  II diabetes (presumptive), Tinnitus, Bilateral hearing loss, and sleep apnea, neuropathy in my left foot, right foot etc.  

After an C&P I was given a 100% P&T for PTSD (service connected - Combat). My other issues were initially deferred. After looking at my information on eBenefits (still waiting of subsequent decision letters, I found the following  (note I have completed all the C&P examinations as requested)

10% For tinnitus (service connected) 20% for Type II diabetes, (service connected) 10% for myopathy in my left foot,  10% for my right foot (service connected) 0% for bilateral hearing loss (service connected) and 0% for sleep apnea (NOT service connected)

So while I was surprised at the sleep apnea rating, I think that perhaps this was a result of the the way the claim was filed, in that it was not filed as a secondary to the PTSD. 

So the questions then becomes, since I am not seeking SMC, as I do not presently see a real path to it in my present state, is pursuing the Sleep Apnea really a hill worth climbing, since as I understand it because I am already 100% service connected then the VA will provide my CPAP needs. So anyone out there see something I am missing, AND if I do seek to address the Apnea do I simply file an appeal to the decision letter or do I submit a new claim for the Sleep Apnea, as secondary.

Welcome to hadit.

Short version: Yes, I think it is likely a "hill worth climbing" because of DIC for your spouse.  

Here is the deal.  If you die of a Service connected condition, you spouse should get DIC.  Or, if you die of ANY condition AFTER you have been 100 percent P and T 10 full years, then your spouse should get DIC.  

Its all about taking care of your spouse and family after your gone.  To ME that is important.  I dont know if you have family members who are important to you.  

Sleep apnea can cause death.  (ESPECIALLY untreated). 

More detailed explanation:  

About 10 years ago, I had chest pain and my wife decided I needed to get treatment for a possible heart attack. She called VA, and they said, "Dont bring (me) here (VA), as we are full and no room for new paitients.  Take him to a private care facility and VA will pay the bill".  

My wife responed, Well where do I take him".

They responded the private care facility of your choice.  So, she was a retired cardiac nurse and took me to Dayton Heart Hospital, and got me with docs she knew were the best.  

The doc came in, after tests, and told me "I didnt have a heart attack", but I do have sleep apnea.

He explained that the right side of my heart is enlarged because I dont get enough oxygen at night.  So, I asked him what happens if I dont get treatment for sleep apnea?

He said the right side of my heart will continue to enlarge and become unbalanced, causing more heart problems which will end with death.  

So, I got a sleep test, and sure enough, I have sleep apnea, and wear a machince (CPAP).  My wife literally saved my life.  

Sleep apnea killed, Reggie White, an amazing NFL player:  https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apnea/sleep-blog/reggie-whites-legacy/#:~:text=Reggie White died on December,manage their own sleep apnea.

So, if your family is important to you, get SC for sleep apnea, and, more importantly treat it if you have it.  

Your VA compensation ends at your death.  However, your widow can get DIC of about 1500 or so per month if she meets the criteria above, and applies.  Your family can also get other benefits if you die of a SC condition. 

Edited by broncovet

OSA can kill you, even with CPAP therapy. If it is Sc it makes it easier for your dependents to file a DIC claim. You can appeal the current decision and keep the effective date vs. filing a new claim, though you didnt claim it initially, correct? It might have been inferred. Does it say 0% or does it just say not SVC connected? They are different things. 0% is a service connected rating, so if you have it 0% SC I would appeal because if you are under CPAP thats a 50% rating on its own. 

Thanks brokensoldier24 and broncovet for you input and thoughts. Of course my family is important so this does help answer part of the question. With regard to the question of "Does it say 0% or does it just say not SVC connected? " While I have not received my actual decision letter and the information was taken from "my disabilities" on eBenefits, the information after "sleep apnea" just says NOT SERVICE CONNECTED. And I did initially claim sleep apnea at the same time I claimed PTSD and my Type II diabetes.   

I am still waiting on my letter and perhaps that will provide some explanations. For example In addition to the 100% PTSD, as I said above I received a 20% for Type II Diabetes and a 10% for myopathy in my left foot,  10% for my right foot (service connected) 10% Tinnitus (service connected)  HOWEVER the myopathy for my left and right UPPER extremity  was listed as NOT SERVICE connected which is odd, since Diabetes causes the  myopathy. 

Since I am rated at 100% for PTSD anyway, doesn't the VA cover CPAP equipment and treatment?  

I guess the whole damn process seems a bit disjointed from the outside, so just trying to chart a reasonable COA without being unduly onerous to the folks who have to work the issues at VA

• HadIt.com Elder

You can and should file a secondary claim for your Sleep Apnea   to your PTSD/,Meds, if you have a diagnosis for Sleep Apnea  by the VA  it should fly depending on the severity of the S.A.?

mild sleep apnea can get you the 50% brokensolider was referring to,  if you have severe S.A.  THEN THAT WOULD BE 100%   and this would open the doors for SMC's

You show to have a 100% S.C. rating for PTSD And with the sleep apnea claim  depending on what they rate the S.A. ..

**Note ** A Veteran  Service Connected @100%  P&T Original rating  and this veteran files for a separate claim from his original disability (secondary)  and if this new separate claim grants you a 60% or higher rating   then this opens up the Door for SMC S Housebound.

it can be a new claim  or a secondary claim to your existing Original claim.  as long as you get a 60%rating OR Higher.

Edited by Buck52