• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Proposed Disabiltiy Rating

Question

I am new here - excuse me - I am asking about if this it the wayVA does this - since I never have seen tbis before on this site - I have larnxy cancer AO presumed and 100% granted - now I will be reduced to 20% - dysphagia secondary 10% - and hoaseness 10% - primary, I suppose - I have the time still to NOD this - but do not know if I should - I feel I have xerostomia -severe dry mouth - but dont find that condition listed - should I challenge this or accept the C&P exam for now ? Later to have examination? Thanks

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you mean 30% SC for Pell Grants?

I think they have that criteria-not sure-

Chap 35 for her would depend on 100% P & T SC-

Does your state have any special educational benefits for children of Vietnam Vets or anything for children of all disabled vets regardless of where they served?

It certainly can pay off to check into any potential form of financial aid possible for the child of a veteran-I say child but I believe these types of aid go over age 18-otherwise they wouldnt make sense.

I am now wondering what form you mean that VA lost-

I guess I thought you meant a Pell Grant form.

Berta - I guess I have to back up to beginning - I filed claim VONAPP Jan 06 -recieved 100% grant sc Aug 06 - retro to Jan06 -the letter of Aug06 stated " We couldn't pay for {daugter's name} because she is over 18. We are enclosing a VA FORM 21-674 - Request for Approval of School Attendance, for you to complete if {daughter's name} is in school. We can only pay dependents between ages of 18 and 23 if they are attending an approved school."

This is the form I sent in although they did not sent me the21-674 - I downloaded it from VA website - they sent 21-674b School Attendance Report - which was also completed and sent too. In addition sent in VA Form 21-686c Declaration Of Status Of Dependents, which they had attached.

I assume my daugher's attendance at Univ of Miami is an approved school - I would think so! It cost a mint - she has scholarship but not full - but still its very costly to attend - she is doing well there. That ed benefit would really help out though. That's about all I can tell you - I do appreciate ur advise also.

Frank

I think I know whats up now! I went to VAMC for checkup on Monday - I then saw DAV at VAMC - they called the RO number and I turned it over to DAV - I wanted to know when my daughter would get ed benefits - after all was said and done I found out that they were behind by a year, but the news was they sent me the money. I didnt know this and I thought the money went to dependent - I guess they think I will use it myself - I assure u - truthfully, any money received for my daughter will go directly to her bank account - I see now how the VA thinks about this - wish the money would go directly to dependent - I never knew it wouldnt till I was told this - even when I had called VA previously - didnt know from websites either - I understand that they suspect intentions - but I wish they would change their laws so it didnt look like a scam - I guess this is the way things go but dont like it - I just want my child to have a good education - we have kept up so far with expenses but its hard to do - I swear anything for her education goes to her education. Hope this info helps somebody.

I think I know whats up now! I went to VAMC for checkup on Monday - I then saw DAV at VAMC - they called the RO number and I turned it over to DAV - I wanted to know when my daughter would get ed benefits - after all was said and done I found out that they were behind by a year, but the news was they sent me the money. I didnt know this and I thought the money went to dependent - I guess they think I will use it myself - I assure u - truthfully, any money received for my daughter will go directly to her bank account - I see now how the VA thinks about this - wish the money would go directly to dependent - I never knew it wouldnt till I was told this - even when I had called VA previously - didnt know from websites either - I understand that they suspect intentions - but I wish they would change their laws so it didnt look like a scam - I guess this is the way things go but dont like it - I just want my child to have a good education - we have kept up so far with expenses but its hard to do - I swear anything for her education goes to her education. Hope this info helps somebody.

Sorry: I meant the VA will send me the money - since I have nothing yet.

• HadIt.com Elder

Frank- did you see real cash money from the VA in your checking acct or mail box or is this what they said-that you Would 'get' the money-

and did they specifically mean Chap 35 refund of tuition?

This seems bizarre to me because the VA reminded me that my baby was an adult US veteran and they would not deal with my questions about her Chap 35 at all- so I would assume that when she begins her Masters she pays the tuition so she sure gets the VA check- not me-

then again-was your daughter in college prior to turning 18?

I guess in that case they would send you the money-up to her 18th birthday ???

weird-