VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Proposed Disabiltiy Rating

Rate this question

Viet Vet

Question

I am new here - excuse me - I am asking about if this it the wayVA does this - since I never have seen tbis before on this site - I have larnxy cancer AO presumed and 100% granted - now I will be reduced to 20% - dysphagia secondary 10% - and hoaseness 10% - primary, I suppose - I have the time still to NOD this - but do not know if I should - I feel I have xerostomia -severe dry mouth - but dont find that condition listed - should I challenge this or accept the C&P exam for now ? Later to have examination? Thanks

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am confused too as to what you were told and am having considerable problems with my own vet rep too-

often they dont have a clue- especially on Chap 35 -

I hope the DAV didnt just make this up-

As long as you are 100% P & T- she should be fully eligible for Chap 35 benefits until age 26 at an approved VA school-but -in my case (I am Chap 35 ) they only paid me after they had the tuition payment that I made confirmed via my VA counselor at the school-and that I was in classes for about 2 weeks or more-without a drop-

Can anyone else help here with their Chap 35 experience with their kids?

Berta sorry - my comp is old and a mess - but I want to thank u - I am gonna let u know what happens later - it may help somebody - I dont know what is up with any of these people at this time but I will later - so please jiust know I want to help with some knowledge of Chap 35 if I can . I put it to rest for now.

please let us all know =I sure understand how you feel-

sometimes the logic of VA is so baffling we just have to put it down for a while- if they do owe Chap 35 money they certainly will pay it-

VA Educational Department can be an oxymoron.

But once they square your daugher away- they will be pretty consistent and very helpful when you tie up with the right person-

are you dealing yet with someone directly at VA like Robert Quall at VA Edu?

Berta:

I was under the impression that with Chapter 35 your child got up to a certain amount of tuition paid and it could be any accredited university. Do they have an approved list?

Cavman

Cavman -I think the VA would have a list of approved VA schools-the only way to check this is either allow VA to do it when they get the Chap 35 formal application or-much better yet -so you know in advance-

see if the school has a web site and a VA counselor or just call them and find out.

When I sent in my Chap 35 app -to VA -for American Military University-

although I already knew they obviously accepted the GI Bill and have mostly active military students-in many ranks-still

I had already emailed their VA counselor just in case- to make absolutely sure they would accept Chap 35.

The MOS for Chap 35 is this:

Student pays their tuition for the semester-

they advise VA of their Student ID Number,the amount of tuition they paid, the professors name and the course ID name, and also- the beginning and ending date of the courses.

I did all that by email to the VA Education Dept in Buffalo and CC to the VA counselor at AMU for every course.

The VA counselor at AMU confirmed all this quickly for the VA in Buffalo.

They took the length of my courses and somehow divided it up-

and sent the amount either in 2 or 3 checks.

It is difficult to determine when they will reimburse.

On one of my older statements from VA- I had paid 750 for the course to AMU-

the statement says I was awarded educational allowance as followed-

$347.00 month 2-28-2004 ending date 4-23-04

I believe it was for a Leadership course from USMC prof.

The VA sends an award each time you enroll and pay tuition and have been in classes for about 2 weeks with no drop or withdrawal.

I think I posted all this before here maybe not-but it might help someone.

The school via their web site or a phone call to the Registrar's office can answer whether they are VA approved or not.

Maybe the VA could tell you by phone too-you would need to take to their Education Dept-it depends too on what area you live in- this is all separate from the VARO areas-

the 800# might have access to them.

Edited by Berta

Thanks so much for your reply Berta and as usual you are appreciated.

I understand what you are saying, but my problem is, what about the people that don`t have the upfront money, but do have Chapter 35 benefits for their child?

Cavman