VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Proposed Disabiltiy Rating

Rate this question

Viet Vet

Question

I am new here - excuse me - I am asking about if this it the wayVA does this - since I never have seen tbis before on this site - I have larnxy cancer AO presumed and 100% granted - now I will be reduced to 20% - dysphagia secondary 10% - and hoaseness 10% - primary, I suppose - I have the time still to NOD this - but do not know if I should - I feel I have xerostomia -severe dry mouth - but dont find that condition listed - should I challenge this or accept the C&P exam for now ? Later to have examination? Thanks

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Cavman- there are plenty of financial aid programs available for children of veterans- Pell Grants, scholarships, and even some state finanicial benefits for education-

I dont know how these programs work but there is info on the web and I would sure think that your daughter's school definitely has a financial aid officer who could direct her in the best way.

As I understand it anyone receiving Chap 35 can also receive a Pell Grant too-I think someone stated that here-

but I am not sure- and every situation is unique.

I received what I think was a partial Pell Grant many years ago as widow of a veteran towards my schooling.Or maybe it was a state program for survivors of war time vets-this was not a 100% SC P & T vet-

Also I think college kids often get credit cards as soon as they start college-

dont know how that works either-but this is one way she could pay the expenses ahead of time-

then again- I have no credit -I dont know how that works --- it sounds expensive-I dont know if that would be worth it- to pay by credit card-

Your daughter's school could be very helpful here-I have friend of vet who died NSC.

She is head nursing supervisor at major hosp in another state.Her income is pretty good- nevertheless she told me her daughter applied for Financial Aid and all that her daughter needed to pay was less than 50 bucks each semester.

It could have been a state program too she used for dependents of veterans.

It is well worth contacting her school now to see what they offer or what regs they come under for Financial Aid and also to see what help might possibly be available through your state.

They can assure you too whether or not they are VA approved.

Something you mentioned- in my past college -it was VA approved-and accredited- however they are affiliated with a Flight School and flight school generates credits just like any other courses-

but the VA did not consider this as approved schooling for me-meaning I could not finish my pilot's license in flight school here in NY under Chap 35-

maybe because my Chap 35 -as a widow-is different than what your daughter's will be-

The school she wants to attend will have your answers-

and I heard that Financial Aid packet takes some time to prepare-so best to square that away now too-

I wish I could help you more-

VA's Chapter 35 program is just wonderful but I just laid out 1,000 bucks for more tuition and my Chap 35 is over unless I get better entitlement date due to one of my claims.I have not had time to see if NYS offers financial aid or even if I could get a Pell Grant.