VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Petro-Chemicals and cancer.

Rate this question

AJAXB37

Question

I'm assisting my Vietnam-era uncle with his VA Disability claim for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and small cell carcinoma of the lung related to working with petro-chemicals and asbestos while serving in the US Navy aboard the USS Pawcatuck. The claim was filed in August 2020 and was denied 12/9/2020. My uncle was diagnosed with bone and brain cancer in August 2020.

They denied his claim for asbestos due to them not finding any scarring on his lungs. The problem I have is that they made no mention of the chemicals he used to work with aboard the ship and claimed his job (Boatswains mate) would not come in contact with any kind of these chemicals.

We will file a NOD but I'm looking for any assistance with veterans that have successfully won their disability claims due to working with petro chemicals.

Thanks in advance. 

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

AJAXB37 To win a disability claim you need 1)a current diagnosis, 2) an event or illness in the service and 3)a connection, or nexus linking the two. You didn't post the denial decision, but I assume that the VA denied as not being service-connected. In other words, his evidence did not show that he was exposed to the chemicals and that they caused the disability. You need to establish that he was exposed. You also need to have a medical opinion, or nexus, connected that exposure to his current condition. Assuming you can prove by a buddy statement that he was exposed way back when, you still need to get a doc's opinion that it could cause his disabilities now. Start researching a doctor that can give you what you need.

This vet who served on the USS Pawcatuck, was awarded , due to petro exposure:

"ORDER Service connection for neuroendocrine carcinoid tumor that has metastasized to the bowel mesentery is granted."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp15/files3/1520824.txt

Also there is plenty on the internet if you google the ship:

http://www.hullnumber.com/crew1.php?cm=AO-108

https://www.navysite.de/crewlist/commandlist.php?commandid=1225

These sites or others might help him if he needs a buddy statement.

WOuld he give you permission to can and attach his  denial here ( to include the evidence list)?

If so, cover the C file # and his name, address.

I bet he bunked under asbestos covered pipes.