• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

168%
    $2,528.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Seeking Doctor to write nexus tieing service conected PTSD to my sleep apnea diagnosed in VA sleep study

Question

I was denied the original filing about 3 months ago.  The C&P examiner said 'less likely than not' related.  Do I need a IMO from a psychologist, therapist, or sleep doctor.  Does anybody know of any in the Baltimore Md area?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

MOST  VA  Dr's won't help us Veterans => VA is their Employer.

I agree with the above.  I see it that you have some choices: 1.  Do nothing.  You will likely get denied, unless you already have a doc opinion your OSA is related to your PTSD.   2.  Seek

• Admin

Contact Valor4Vet. They may be able to assist. 

I am sure what jbasser  recommends to Contact  Valor 4Vet. This is  is a Well Respected Dr for Veterans   but they also maybe a charge ?, not sure what that charge is ?

you just have to ask this Dr?   but Valor 4 Vet Helps a lot of Veterans.

Also You may want to check with your VA MH Dr.s.

Ask them their medical opinion   if your PTSD And the Medications you take for  PTSD can cause or be related to OSA?

...Do not mention anything about a claim to these Dr's

or you can ask you VA PCP  for his medical opinion  about this.

They are suppose to write it down  in their medical notes anything they tell you,

wait about 3 days  & go back to Myhealthvet NOTES and look to see what They mention about your question.

sometimes they will put what they mention in the notes and some times they won't.

if they tell you yes certain medications can cause sleep apnea    and name those medications     if the Dr never mention this in your Myhealthvet,*Notes* and he did when you seen this Dr...but the notes about this is not in  your Myhealthyvet notes

simply make a copy of that session with you to  this Dr on the date you visiting this Dr  take a copy of this to your next appointment  with you and confront this Dr...

just say Dr you remember I ask your opinion about my PTSD CAN IT CAUSE ME TO HAVE SLEEP APNEA/ (I would just use OSA) not sleep apnea ,  and  if he says yes I remember   then show him these notes where he never mention it in his medical report with you on that date...why are these Notes not in my records?

these medical records notes can sure help  especially when the Dr writes out what you ask for his/her medical opinion and mention the word yes it an cause OSA...Due to the medications you take for your PTSD ect,,,,ect,,,

The Thing here is never mention anything about you filing a claim  just simply ask them there medical opinion as to rather or not your PTSD & Medications you take (name them) will cause OSA.???

You can attach a copy of this  and hi-lite the parts where the Dr says yes it can   ect,,,ect,,, submit that with your claim  as evidence.

File a Secondary claim for Sleep Apnea due the PTSD &Medication you take for your PTSD  Or Mental Health Problems.

you must have a Sleep Apnea Diagnose  from  either the VA or Private qualified sleep  Dr and prescribe a C-PAP or Bi-Pap machine medically to use...this is usually a 50%rating   depends on how severe your Sleep Apnea is.? for higher rating.

if they service connect your Sleep Apnea Due to your PTSD/Medications    once its service connected  it becomes part of your PTSD Claim.

On 3/2/2021 at 5:44 AM, timbalto said:

I was denied the original filing about 3 months ago.  The C&P examiner said 'less likely than not' related.  Do I need a IMO from a psychologist, therapist, or sleep doctor.  Does anybody know of any in the Baltimore Md area?

Do you have a diagnosis of ptsd from the VA or outside the VA?  If not, that's where I would start.  And you need ongoing treatment.  Preferably from the VA.  If not, you might be flushing money down the drain.  I truly believe a diagnosis from a VA psychologist is the best path to approval.  And ongoing treatment.  You should be getting that anyhow if you have ptsd.  Can't just throw claims up and hope they stick.  I've learned the hard way.

I have diagnosis of PTSD at 30%.  I filed for sleep apnea as a secondary .  I also have a Sleep Apnea diagnosis from the VA.  the VA Psych told I would have to get a dr. outside the VA to write a letter stating they are related, she could not state that they are 'likely' related as that is a C&P statement.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By SKScott
      Hello!
      I filed for an increase, with a fully-developed claim, on an issue that I'm currently rated at service-connected 0%. I established my "Intent to File" on the 24th of September. The file was submitted/received on the 30th of December 2020 and moved to "Evidence gathering, review, and decision" on the 4th of January 2021. This morning (6th of January), a call came in and I was told that I would be scheduled for a C&P Exam. They needed to know if I was available due to Covid, to which I told them that I was. The woman informed me that within 2-3 weeks I would be notified of the date/time of my appointment.
      I thought I would be able to avoid a C&P Exam, because since October 2020, I've had 20+ VA appointments, 1 VA hospitalization, 1 VA MRI, 2 VA ultrasounds, 2 VA blood transfusions, and numerous VA blood draws, in regards to the issue that I'm asking an increase for. I'm even tentatively scheduled for surgery on the 26th of January (depending on how Covid issues play out here in California). I purposely waited, until I had gone through all those appointments/procedures/tests, so that I could include them in my fully-developed claim.
      I've had my fair share of C&P Exams, which have always been brief and perfunctory. I'm concerned about how much that exam will play into the rater's decision, when they already have a wealth of information from doctors/surgeons at the VA, all of which has been recently documented over the last 3 months. Has anyone experienced a situation similar to this? Did they end up changing their mind about making you submit to a C&P Exam? If not, did the C&P Exam weigh heavily on the type of decision the rater made?
      Thanks.
    • By creek chub
      Good evening 
      I was diagnosed with sleep apnea by my neurologist. I looked at the rating criteria but am not clear. Do I have to have a sleep study done as well in case I wanted to file a potential claim? Or is the neurologist diagnosis good enough? 
      thanks
    • By J A
      I recently received a re-exam for my anxiety disorder that I have a 70% rating for. They sent me a packet explaining they want to lower the rating to 30% because of "improvements made". When i told my treating physician about this, he disagreed that any improvements have been made and agrees to write a statement for me to send in as evidence. I'm just curious how much ground his statement can hold against their examiners and if it is likely that they will reduce my rating or leave it as is. Has anyone else submitted doctors statements and had the VA rule in their favor? Is it common?
    • By Michvetinfla
      My situation is different in the sense that I am and have been homeless many years and do not have almost any medical documents or evidence as I have not had insurance. So I have no idea how to find a doctor who will work with me, on my claim and establishing all the connections Etc. I live Central Florida
      Or should I just go to the VA in file for an appointment to be used on my claim?
       ty
    • By Deerhunter495
      Just got rated at 80% but 70% is for depression and they say it's temporary. The money every month has allowed me to breathe and is making things a lot better for my family but now I'm worried about the temporary part. Guess my question is what do I do now should I make appointments at the va or not? I use to go quite often but not anymore. Figure what is the point all those doctors do is stair at a computer and pump me full of drugs that I honestly I don't want and can't have due to my job. What should I do, do I have to make appointments to see a doctor? Thank you for any help.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 53 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines