VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Seeking Doctor to write nexus tieing service conected PTSD to my sleep apnea diagnosed in VA sleep study

Rate this question

timbalto

Question

I was denied the original filing about 3 months ago.  The C&P examiner said 'less likely than not' related.  Do I need a IMO from a psychologist, therapist, or sleep doctor.  Does anybody know of any in the Baltimore Md area?

• HadIt.com Elder

I am sure what jbasser  recommends to Contact  Valor 4Vet. This is  is a Well Respected Dr for Veterans   but they also maybe a charge ?, not sure what that charge is ?

you just have to ask this Dr?   but Valor 4 Vet Helps a lot of Veterans.

Also You may want to check with your VA MH Dr.s.

Ask them their medical opinion   if your PTSD And the Medications you take for  PTSD can cause or be related to OSA?

...Do not mention anything about a claim to these Dr's

or you can ask you VA PCP  for his medical opinion  about this.

They are suppose to write it down  in their medical notes anything they tell you,

wait about 3 days  & go back to Myhealthvet NOTES and look to see what They mention about your question.

sometimes they will put what they mention in the notes and some times they won't.

if they tell you yes certain medications can cause sleep apnea    and name those medications     if the Dr never mention this in your Myhealthvet,*Notes* and he did when you seen this Dr...but the notes about this is not in  your Myhealthyvet notes

simply make a copy of that session with you to  this Dr on the date you visiting this Dr  take a copy of this to your next appointment  with you and confront this Dr...

just say Dr you remember I ask your opinion about my PTSD CAN IT CAUSE ME TO HAVE SLEEP APNEA/ (I would just use OSA) not sleep apnea ,  and  if he says yes I remember   then show him these notes where he never mention it in his medical report with you on that date...why are these Notes not in my records?

these medical records notes can sure help  especially when the Dr writes out what you ask for his/her medical opinion and mention the word yes it an cause OSA...Due to the medications you take for your PTSD ect,,,,ect,,,

The Thing here is never mention anything about you filing a claim  just simply ask them there medical opinion as to rather or not your PTSD & Medications you take (name them) will cause OSA.???

You can attach a copy of this  and hi-lite the parts where the Dr says yes it can   ect,,,ect,,, submit that with your claim  as evidence.

File a Secondary claim for Sleep Apnea due the PTSD &Medication you take for your PTSD  Or Mental Health Problems.

you must have a Sleep Apnea Diagnose  from  either the VA or Private qualified sleep  Dr and prescribe a C-PAP or Bi-Pap machine medically to use...this is usually a 50%rating   depends on how severe your Sleep Apnea is.? for higher rating.

if they service connect your Sleep Apnea Due to your PTSD/Medications    once its service connected  it becomes part of your PTSD Claim.

On 3/2/2021 at 5:44 AM, timbalto said:

I was denied the original filing about 3 months ago.  The C&P examiner said 'less likely than not' related.  Do I need a IMO from a psychologist, therapist, or sleep doctor.  Does anybody know of any in the Baltimore Md area?

Do you have a diagnosis of ptsd from the VA or outside the VA?  If not, that's where I would start.  And you need ongoing treatment.  Preferably from the VA.  If not, you might be flushing money down the drain.  I truly believe a diagnosis from a VA psychologist is the best path to approval.  And ongoing treatment.  You should be getting that anyhow if you have ptsd.  Can't just throw claims up and hope they stick.  I've learned the hard way.

I have diagnosis of PTSD at 30%.  I filed for sleep apnea as a secondary .  I also have a Sleep Apnea diagnosis from the VA.  the VA Psych told I would have to get a dr. outside the VA to write a letter stating they are related, she could not state that they are 'likely' related as that is a C&P statement.

• HadIt.com Elder

MOST  VA  Dr's won't help us Veterans => VA is their Employer.

I agree with the above.  I see it that you have some choices:

1.  Do nothing.  You will likely get denied, unless you already have a doc opinion your OSA is related to your PTSD.  

2.  Seek out other VA docs.  I happen to have a Veteran friendly VA doc, but those are hard to come by.  You can sometimes go to different docs to try to find a VA friendly doc who will supply a nexus.  

3.  Get an IMO/IME from a private doc. 

There are "at least" 2 ways to pay for this.  

A.  Give the doc your check or credit card, or talk him into taking it out of retro..  

B.  Hire an attorney who knows docs, and can refer you to one and, sometimes the attorney will upfront the IMO fee for you.  Source:  ONE attorney did that for me.  

Its not fair, but the reality is Vets who can figure out, the above, have an advantage over those who just say, "well I dont have the money for an IMO".