VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Seeking Doctor to write nexus tieing service conected PTSD to my sleep apnea diagnosed in VA sleep study

Rate this question

timbalto

Question

I was denied the original filing about 3 months ago.  The C&P examiner said 'less likely than not' related.  Do I need a IMO from a psychologist, therapist, or sleep doctor.  Does anybody know of any in the Baltimore Md area?

22 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

MOST  VA  Dr's won't help us Veterans => VA is their Employer.

This has been true in my experience. Asking a VA doc to write a nexus letter is like pulling teeth. I had several VA docs agree that I should be service-connected for my conditions due to my SMRs and current VA records, but they won’t write a nexus statement stating the VA doesn’t allow that. 

Edited by Hucast21

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with broncovet

But sometime we can look on Myhealthvet notes  and see what all they are saying about our condition.

if you been service connected  for something but no rating given..you might try a secondary condition that your original condition caused or related to, you can  get  secondary service connected  to your PTSD or whatever your original condition is even if its just 0%

EXAMPLE   PTSD  Can cause or be related to Sleep Apnea.

you can ask your VA MH Dr's if your  PTSD & The medications you take for it  would be related to or cause your Sleep Apnea.

Also you can ask your  VA Sleep Dr....and wait 3 days and go look at your records  and see what they said?

if they said yes it can cause  or can be related to ...then there's your nexus   make sure the Dr you  ask is qualified  like  VA MH Staff Physician  (physiatrist )

just don't mention a claim  just let him known your concern and want to know..

Then check your medical records off myhealthvet.  or go to the release of records at your VAMC Ask for your medical records from a certain date  or after you ask the Dr this question  it takes 3 days to be copied  in to your file.

In my experience some VAMC doctors may not be willing to write a letter of disability but they may be more willing to note it in your treatment records to win your service connection and or increase in a current rating. 

Edited by pacmanx1

I'll add to this conversation.  My stepdad is currently SC for  PTSD @ 70%  Filed for sleep apnea and did get a IMO from Valor4Vet...of course denied!  Now, the rater made some incredible leaps in judgment which I'll argue later but one thing the rater noted was the IMO was "unbelievable".  Now I did reread the IMO from Valor4Vet and it was kind of weak.  So I decided to get a second letter from a different doctor in Ohio (if I recall) and I'll submit that new IMO as well as argue the outlandish leaps the rater made in the original decision and see how that works.  I have not received the new letter yet but I'll update the situation when I do.  

Dr Brett Valette has been knowledgeable and writes a good argument. You'll need a full sleep study with someone monitoring you all night, not the WatchPat sleep study where they send you home with a device. If you are in the Maryland area (you did say Baltimore), Sleep Services of Maryland will do the sleep study. It's pricey at $750 if you don't have insurance that handles it.

I would talk to Dr. Valette's staff first. VeteranPsychEvaluations.com  They may be able to help you wade through what you will need to prove the claim. He and his staff are very good at writing a compelling argument. It will cost you about $1500 for that IMO.

One of my docs did write that the medication prescribed for over 10 years for me causes weight gain. So does depression.

Weight gain is an opening argument for sleep apnea, diabetes, hypertension.

• HadIt.com Elder

They maybe some Sleep Dr's in your area...look them up read their web sites and usually if their Veteran Friendly  They normally will write nexus letters for Veterans   it should say on their website if they help veterans  and can write nexus letters.