• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

142%
    $2,133.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Posted (edited)

We were in this same situation a few years ago  we finance at 5.5%   back when the interest rates were up  obviously...we refinance with a better interest rate about 12/13 years ago.

They do have a restriction Claus on refinancing   I think you need to have at least lived in your home a year before they will let you refinance  depending on your lender& VA if you have a VA lOAN?

So  with the Interest rates down right now  and if you can get at least a 2.25% loan  (depending on credit score) I'd sure do it...it will cost you but maybe just what you have paid in principle  for the year you live there  they tie the finance cost on the back of the loan   so you shouldn't have any out of pocket cost.

We sold our home June 9th 2020   and it took us a while to find another house  because Interest rates were so low Eveybody started selling their homes and  getting bigger more expensive homes  due to the low interest rate ,  this caused us a while to find a home because getting into a bidding war to buy a house is not good   we always got out bidding   so this is why it took us a while to find another home.

We just purchase a home Dec 9th  2020 and we got 2.25% Interest rate.  and were fine with the payments.

Interest rates may not get to much lower than they are now  and they can rise overnight.  so if you can lower your interest rate and lower your house payments   I say hell yeah.

later on you can always pay  1/2 a payment two times a month  or have your payments taken out  paying on your loan every 2 weeks  or say 3 times a month  breaking up the full payment,   you can get your equity built up a lot faster because your paying mostly on the principle....you can also do this on a auto loan   the more you pay on the principle the faster the Interest rate goes down  on a long term loan  like 48 months or longer.

Edited by Buck52
  • Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would require many more details for us to advise you.  However, some general principals apply: 1.  If you dont plan on staying in your home "At least" the next 4 or 5 years, you are probably b

We were in this same situation a few years ago  we finance at 5.5%   back when the interest rates were up  obviously...we refinance with a better interest rate about 12/13 years ago. They do have

Thanks for that. Yes, If we can get a 2.5 or less, that would be great. I think I'll wait a little longer. I want to have the best credit to get the lowest rate. If I get the lower rate, I'll use the

55 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

We were in this same situation a few years ago  we finance at 5.5%   back when the interest rates were up  obviously...we refinance with a better interest rate about 12/13 years ago.

They do have a restriction Claus on refinancing   I think you need to have at least lived in your home a year before they will let you refinance  depending on your lender& VA if you have a VA lOAN?

So  with the Interest rates down right now  and if you can get at least a 2.25% loan  (depending on credit score) I'd sure do it...it will cost you but maybe just what you have paid in principle  for the year you live there  they tie the finance cost on the back of the loan   so you shouldn't have any out of pocket cost.

We sold our home June 9th 2020   and it took us a while to find another house  because Interest rates were so low Eveybody started selling their homes and  getting bigger more expensive homes  due to the low interest rate ,  this caused us a while to find a home because getting into a bidding war to buy a house is not good   we always got out bidding   so this is why it took us a while to find another home.

We just purchase a home Dec 9th  2020 and we got 2.25% Interest rate.  and were fine with the payments.

Interest rates may not get to much lower than they are now  and they can rise overnight.  so if you can lower your interest rate and lower your house payments   I say hell yeah.

later on you can always pay  1/2 a payment two times a month  or have your payments taken out  paying on your loan every 2 weeks  or say 3 times a month  breaking up the full payment,   you can get your equity built up a lot faster because your paying mostly on the principle....you can also do this on a auto loan   the more you pay on the principle the faster the Interest rate goes down  on a long term loan  like 48 months or longer.

Thanks for that. Yes, If we can get a 2.5 or less, that would be great. I think I'll wait a little longer. I want to have the best credit to get the lowest rate. If I get the lower rate, I'll use the difference in mortgage payments to pay off my car. After that, we'll take all that money and pay extra for 6 months and use the other 6 months worth for improvements or savings.

• Like 1
  • Patron
Posted (edited)

If you already have a VA (backed) loan, call the loan company and see if you can get the new/better rate.

I did it three times and went from 4.5% (2016), 3.25% (2019) and 2.375% (2020).  All with the same company and same bank.

IFreedom and Wintrust Bank.

I did it to reduce my payment amount.  The first time, I got a tax refund for points, but none the second time.

I kept the time period the same, just got the better rate cause of the government program.

FWIW,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can
  • Like 1

We moved for 3 reasons  one was to get cheaper payments  2. we wanted to down size  having a bigger house with just two people   well we had rooms we never used.  so we down sized.

3. I didn't get along with the  H.O.A. People and their rules. & normally I can get along with anybody.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By buckeye46
      Hi everyone,
      In the last year and a half I consider myself very blessed... Approved for 70% disability, Approved for Voc Rehab (Haven't started yet), Approved for TSGLI, Started a steady job and was promoted (VA Call Center), Refinanced the house yesterday, and got engaged. I would like to thank Hadit for helping me get back on my feet and having this great resource available for all vets! My hat is off to all of you!!
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 53 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines