VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

DIC is Dependents Indemnity Compensation.  When a Service Connected Vet dies, his spouse "may" be eligible for compensation, but the Veterans SC compensation will stop. 

Here are the Eligibility rules, according to VA website:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/#am-i-eligible-for-va-dic-as-a-

In English, to be eligible for DIC your spouse needed to die of a SC condition OR from ANY condition if he is P and T for 10 years.  

But, read the rules to make sure it applies to you.

The compensation rates vary according to dependents and other factors, but it should be at least $1357 per month if awarded.  

https://www.va.gov/disability/survivor-dic-rates/

In reading all this again-------------- I think Dr Bash's IMO/IME was not for the ALS variant at all but for colon cancer....????????

You will need a strong IMO/IME for the ALS variant claim.

You were here in 2015 with discussions on ALS-

You also have ( I think) a BVA case on  another disability???????

Is this one of your husband's remands?

The same remand they now have at the RO?

https://www.va.gov/vetapp15/files2/1518640.txt

There are dozens of posts here from you-this one caught my attention:

https://community.hadit.com/topic/70082-monomelic-amyotrophy/page/10/

Was the above remand denied?  If so, when-?

But these are questions that your Agent should be addressing, 

because none of us have the time to sort through the multiple posts without seeing the last remand, and whether it was denied or not----yet your  agent has all that info.

Edited by Berta
thread problem

Berta,

Yes. This shows our last BVA.  My husband was granted an initial rating in excess of 30 percent for PTSD. He was granted an increase up to 50 percent.

Yes. He was also granted Entitlement to a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU).

*Total No to Entitlement to service connection for rectal carcinoma, to include as due to herbicide exposure. IMO written.  New evidence presented before 90 days ended. BVA Never responded to new evidence because they made a decision too soon before 90 period ended. BVA forward to Janesville, WI. We never heard nothing.

Total No to Neuropathy. Even though he has been granted Dibetas2 (10%) at the regional/local level.

No to increase in hearing loss. (My husband cannot hear unless he's facing you to look you squarely in the face). My husband can no longer operate the small little devices on his hearing aid because he has lost the use of his right hand.  My husband's ALS Variant was diagnosed in the intervening time we were waiting on the results of the BVA.

*Total No to Helpless Child claim (Been pursuing since mid 1990-to early 2000's). IMO written.  New evidence presented before 90 days ended. BVA Never responded to new evidence because they made a decision too soon before 90 period ended. BVA forward to Janesville, WI. We never heard nothing.

No to Neuropathy claim all together. Even though he has been granted Diabetes 2 at the Regional level.

Edited by DonH

You can contact the BVA via 

bvaombudsman@va.gov

I used this before the Covid problems, 2019 ,  and it might still be working

and they emailed me back right away....on a general VA  issue that has nothing to do with me...

Give them the Docket and Citation # of this2015 Remand to see if they received the evidence you sent. Send them an attachment of the "Green Card" and date of it.

You said your husband was 100% for Prostate cancer since 2015.

Did Dr, Bash know that and did he consider if the colon cancer had metastised from the SC prostate cancer?

Then again you don't have to answer. I have known Dr Craig Bash for over 2 decades and many of our past radio shows are here at hadit and on a prior radio station.

I know he gave the claim the very best he could, and he does not overlook anything medical in his opinions. He even diagnosed two more disabilities I didnt even know my husband had, in IMO he did for me.-

Colon cancer is not AO presumptive.

to add-

your agent should file the ALS Variant claim ASAP.

They will need proof of the diagnosis and will know of the ALS regulations.

Your agent also will know the status of the appeal and also you can find out by calling 1-800-827-1000.

Or via an IRIS request===== search IRIS here and that will show you how to contact the VA that way.

It is also at the main VA web site-under "Contact Us".

Your agent knows far more about your husband's issues and claims then we do.

Berta,

I told Dr. Bash about the Colorectal cancer having already occurred prior to the Prostate Cancer being discovered. He discussed the fact of the relationship of both cancers.... as related and precipitating the other. in his IMO, he pinpointed the relationship. And he further discussed the factors of AO "direct" exposure causation of cancer, etc. I also forwarded medical notes/diagnosis for his perusal. Dr. Bash told me the specifics of what he needed to read though. I mentioned the other denials and the new ALS diagnosis. Dr. Bash thought it more efficient to address the major points of the overall denials within the BVA. He also thought it would take another IMO for ALS at a follow-up date once claim had been filed.  I'm very well pleased with Dr. Bash's contribution.

I am dismayed regarding how BVA hoodwinked us to make a decision early prior to the deadline of the 90 days for us to get new evidence submitted. And, then, upon submitting, BVA forwarded  the new evidence to get buried at Janesville, WI. And nobody from Janesville, WI or elsewhere, ever responded to the new evidence presented prior to the deadline of the 90 days. Seemingly, to just not act upon it as a strategy to continue to deny.

Dr. Bash encouraged to send the new evidence to all points regardless of BVA jumping the gun to make a decision prior to the 90 days' deadline for submitting new evidence. He was confident that the situation would eventually right itself.

Our Agent had recently lost spouse, another AO Exposed Vet, and soon afterwards her father passed away during this tailspin. I knew sensitivity to another's hardships was required.  I will, however, get back on the horse to speak earnestly to jumpstart the Unresolved BVA Claim and lodge a new one for the ALS Variant.  I have to always ensure my veteran husband is in a "move forward mood". He tends to not want to open up new scenarios since he's already 100%. He easily gets flustered and wants to give up.

Berta, when I post to express what is going on with my husband's VA Claim, I'm not trying to impose upon you and others to do  the work for us. I'm posting so in order to get input from others who may have had similar VA experiences. It is true we do have an Agent. Yet, I still like to be in the know about what others have done in similar situations. There are times I will share what i learned from others as a path forward when discussing what is occurring with my husband. I share with my husband and with the Agent something I have learned from reading your posts in particular, Berta; as well as from some other Veterans' posts and from the podcasts, too. 

I've taken note of the phone numbers; email addresses; and suggested follow-up actions.

Thank you so much for being so thoroughly knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the VA and for caring about Veterans and their illnesses/issues.

God speed.

Edited by DonH