VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Convalescent temporary 100% working part time or back to work early

Rate this question

th175

Question

If I'm granted say 3 months of 100% convalescence pay does that preclude me from working any job? Can I work part time in a job other than my original one? Also, if I return to work earlier than planned do I need to do anything like notify the VA? 

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

3 hours ago, th175 said:

If I'm granted say 3 months of 100% convalescence pay does that preclude me from working any job? Can I work part time in a job other than my original one? Also, if I return to work earlier than planned do I need to do anything like notify the VA? 

Be careful of committing fraud. In order to get a convalescent 100% rating then you will need a physician’s letter stating that you need to convalesce for X number of days, weeks, months and in order to return to work, you will also need a physician’s letter stating that you can return to work. Keep in mind that you will have to file a claim that you cannot work due to a particular event that keeps you from being employed and going back early without notifying the VA could be considered fraud.

IMHO (IN MY HUMBLE OPINION), if you get a physician’s letter stating you need x number of days, weeks, months to convalesce then you should not try to go back to work until that time period is over. You could cause your body problems or complications of that condition and make it worst.

• HadIt.com Elder

Not enough information here.

It's Hard to say  depending on your recovery time and the severity of your condition

The effective date of a convalescent rating is that of hospital admission or outpatient treatment, and can continue for one, two, or three months “from the first day of the month following such hospital discharge or outpatient release.” This time frame is contingent on the veteran's condition.

After you leave the Hospital  you should notify the VA of your discharge,  the hospital won't do that for you   they just put your discharge paper in the books and send them to your R.O.   And in your C-file it goes.

Now if your on TDIU and you go back to work  that's a chance they may reduce you way down  With  IU your not suppose to work unless you have special circumstances  and the VA is ok with you working and getting IU.(sheltered Income  and family Farm or bussiness

If your a 100% scheduler Vet  then yes you can go back to work full or part time there's no limit on what you can make   I never understood this why they let a 100% veteran work and not the IU Vet.??

I.U. vets are just as messed up as the 100% Veteran    but his disability never render  100%  but he could not work due to his S.C. Disability  THEY LET A 100% Vet WORK AND IF YOUR 70%80% 90%   THEY GIVE THE  I.U. .....SO YOU CAN AT LEAST FEED YOUR FAMILY   BUT YET  A 100% VET IS MORE MESSED UP  THAN A 70%80% 90% VET AND THE 100% VETERAN GETS TO WORK AND KEEP HIS 100%      Sure don't seem fair to me  but when has the VA Ever been fair??....so go figure!!!

On 4/1/2021 at 6:58 PM, pacmanx1 said:

Be careful of committing fraud. In order to get a convalescent 100% rating then you will need a physician’s letter stating that you need to convalesce for X number of days, weeks, months and in order to return to work, you will also need a physician’s letter stating that you can return to work. Keep in mind that you will have to file a claim that you cannot work due to a particular event that keeps you from being employed and going back early without notifying the VA could be considered fraud.

IMHO (IN MY HUMBLE OPINION), if you get a physician’s letter stating you need x number of days, weeks, months to convalesce then you should not try to go back to work until that time period is over. You could cause your body problems or complications of that condition and make it worst.

I'm not trying to commit fraud I'm just trying to figure out my obligations. My doctor's note states 4 months inability to return to my work. My job is safety sensitive and requires more than most jobs in terms of health/physical condition. The regulation for convalescent 100% states:

A definite convalescence period requires no future control.  If rated correctly, there is no potential for overpayment of the total disability period.  The rating that assigns the 100-percent evaluation also sets a subsequent evaluation to take effect after the specified period of total disability ends.

To me this says it's not possible to be in an overpayment situation because they're paying you based on the doctor's guidance at the time of rating. If I recover faster I'm not going to not go back to work so I can pocket an extra $2,000.