VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Sgt. Wilky

Question

Good evening,

My VSO believes I should apply for IU. I had to quit my job a year ago due to the pain and the inability to remain seated, to remain standing of any consistent length of time. Anyway, I was granted in 2015 for "Undiagnosed Illness" in the upper and lower back, legs, and knees at 10% each (along with other ratings) for a combined rating of 80%; effective to 2008. My VSO is concerned however, that my diagnoses of arthritis in the spine, along with Rheumatoid Arthritis could upset these grants, due to the fact that there is now a diagnoses. I was diagnosed in 2017(?) with these conditions. She is concerned the VA will drop my ratings to 0% (the ten  year rule would prevent severing the SC, but not from the VA dropping the ratings to 0%--lovely). Has anyone ran into this? Since these issues began in service, would not the VA "transfer" (I know, not the right wording here) the undiagnosed illness rating to maybe the RA and osteoarthritis? I fought for my ratings for 8 years, and now that I'm no longer able to work, I'm suddenly in jeopardy of losing my entire ratings? This makes no sense. 

I'm thinking maybe I drop the IU claim altogether.

Thanks,

Sgt. Wilky

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Wilky said:

Semper Fi! I am approaching 41 years old. I don't know if RA and arthritis is considered static or not, but I'm getting worse, even with the 11 different medications I'm on. TDIU is a completely new issue for me to learn, and having been unemployed now for a year now, I will have the time to do my research. Thankfully my wife earns a good living and with my 80% we're doing okay.

Sgt. Wilky

I am not sure if you know but if you cannot work due to a mental and or physical condition, you can also apply and get SSDI. Being that you are rated 80% you do not qualify for SSI, but you can get SSDI to help support you and your family. Yes, a veteran can get both a full 100% VA or 100% TDIU benefits and their full SSDI benefits.

Benefits for People with Disabilities (ssa.gov)

Edited by pacmanx1

13 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Ask your VSO- they can look at your code sheet and tell you what conditions are up for an eventual 'request for exam' or static. 

Sent them an email, waiting to hear back from them.

Feel free to pass this along- I’m not sure I can answer your exact question but here are my thoughts- IU is never as good as getting increased as the VA can and will continue to investigate your ability to work each year. You will if granted, get paid at 100% while it lasts but your ratings would stay the same unless you got an increase/decrease. Another note- if these disabilities are shown to have occurred during your time in service, then the fact that they’ve now diagnosed, shouldn’t change that. I can get a back rating from a 10% to a 40/20/20 [ROM plus radiculopathy), increase knees to maybe 20 or 30% each etc. you could very well end up at 100% and not need IU as well as gain the benefits. I’m Jennifer with Veteran Consulting Service 619-737-2250 if you want to chat. 

8 hours ago, JenniferVCS said:

Feel free to pass this along- I’m not sure I can answer your exact question but here are my thoughts- IU is never as good as getting increased as the VA can and will continue to investigate your ability to work each year. You will if granted, get paid at 100% while it lasts but your ratings would stay the same unless you got an increase/decrease. Another note- if these disabilities are shown to have occurred during your time in service, then the fact that they’ve now diagnosed, shouldn’t change that. I can get a back rating from a 10% to a 40/20/20 [ROM plus radiculopathy), increase knees to maybe 20 or 30% each etc. you could very well end up at 100% and not need IU as well as gain the benefits. I’m Jennifer with Veteran Consulting Service 619-737-2250 if you want to chat. 

You can stop soliciting any time. 

I do not think it is wise for anyone to give out their personal information to someone they met online. It is no difference than someone calling you up and asking you to call them back and give them your personal information so you can upgrade your account.