VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Insomnia

Rate this question

KC3

Question

6 answers to this question

They didnt 'create' anything. Sleep disturbance is a symptom of PTSD, among other things. There is no reason to be compensated twice for a condition that is part of the same condition's etiology. That being said, we have no idea. It's up to your doctor to say whether or not PTSD is causing your insomnia vs some other sleep related issue like circadian rhythm, or OSA. Ive seen ratings go both ways, and it is entirely dependent on how your doctor and/or therapist separates it, or doesn't. 

• HadIt.com Elder
On 4/17/2021 at 1:03 PM, KC3 said:

Can you claim insomnia secondary to PTSD or is this considered part of the pyramid system that the VA created. 

Not sure what you mean is Insomnia a secondary to PTSD or is it a part of the pyramid system the VA created?

pyramiding is 
Pyramiding for VA disability compensation purposes means receiving separate ratings for the same disability or the same manifestation. ... A single symptom cannot be rated more than once, even if the cause comes from two different disabilities.

Now with your question,  You can file a secondary claim for Sleep Apnea IF YOUR PTSD IS THE CAUSE OR RELATED TO IT  BY MEDICATIONS. Or OF other possibilities  CAUSED OR RELATED TO YOUR   S.C. PTSD.

but you will need a sleep study and diagnosis for Sleep Apnea And a C-Pap Machine medically necessary to use and a Qualified Dr stating that your sleep apnea is  likely as not due to or cause by your PTSD AND OR MEDS and give  a rational as to why that is  in their professional  medical opinion.

So this would be filing secondary for  Sleep Apnea to your service connected PTSD. once approved it becomes in part of your PTSD.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think or in my opinion some times Veterans can  get so frustrated with these claims  they tend to blame everything that goes wrong on the VA

I Think We ALL can RELATE to that thought.

On 4/17/2021 at 2:13 PM, brokensoldier244th said:

They didnt 'create' anything. Sleep disturbance is a symptom of PTSD, among other things.

I appreciate what you do. In my opinion insomnia should be separated from PTSD and not part of the pyramid scheme the VA has. Insomnia should have its own separate rating criteria. 

I do, however; agree that depression, anxiety, MDD, PTSD etc should all be one. I appreciate your response. 

Thanks Buck I do have a SA claim in for over 6 years now and it is sitting at the BVA for the last 15 months. It will probably be another 6 years before it is resolved. I also have a migraine claim in as well. I was ordered NEW exams for these by the HLR officer because I had bogus C&P exams for them. The VA conveniently lost them for 6 months and then sent me a denial without receiving my ordered exams. They are a bunch of criminals and C-19 gives them a reason to wear masks. Just my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, KC3 said:

I appreciate what you do. In my opinion insomnia should be separated from PTSD and not part of the pyramid scheme the VA has. Insomnia should have its own separate rating criteria. 

I do, however; agree that depression, anxiety, MDD, PTSD etc should all be one. I appreciate your response. 

Insomnia in and of itself completely can be rated separately if it is not a factor in a prexisting condition, but its still rated under mental disorders. If your doctors have identified insomnia as a subset of another condition it is not rateable as its own condition.