VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Routine Future Examinations (RFE) - Compensation and Pension Exam.

Rate this question

rob.ram9593

Question

Hello everyone,

I have not been able to find much information on routine future examinations (RFE). I did not apply for an increase or any new claims. I have a RFE scheduled for bilateral knee instability a little after 5 years of service connection. My understanding is that this is supposed to be an evaluation of the current severity of symptoms and if the disability continues to be a problem and to what extent. I asked the person on the phone making the appointment and she said to be prepared to discuss my event in service and why I think it is service connected. I don't understand why veterans would have to discuss the event in service again and why they think it is related to their current disability if the nexus has been established.  

My experience has always been that the C&P examiner will not look at any of my records during the examination and if I insist, the rest of the exam does not go very well. I had to appeal a denial due to a bad C&P the first time around and it took a while for them to service connected.  

My plan was to let him know from the start that this is a re-evaluation, but the moment you try to manage the situation, it can go very wrong for you. All I'm looking for is a fair chance to explain what is going on with me currently and fully comply with VA requirements. The problem is we barely have any time with the examiners and you must make every minute count. 

Does anyone know what happens during these re-evaluations?

Is it appropriate to go back to event in service and how it is related to your disability?

Should the C&P examiners at the VA know that this is a RFE and not a new claim?

Should I bring anything with me since they almost never look at documents? 

I appreciate any feedback anyone may be able to provide on this. 

3 answers to this question

• Lead Moderator

It is like a new C&P.  They will go over how you have been and what issues you have had.  They will do ROM and you need to tell them when it hurts.  Not when you are at the point you can't take it anymore.  They are looking to see where the pain is at, but if you don't tell them they might miss it.  

They may or may not know if it is  new exame or not and it really does not matter as they will be given what to look for and what to ask about.  As for paperwork, if you had a medical probelm with it I would bring that information.  If not you should be ok.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Rob.Ram5953 The clerk on the phone is uninformed. If your s-c for over 5 years it is a RFE Routine Future Exam. They want to see if your condition has gotten any better or worse. It's not necessarily a bad thing at all. If your conditions have gotten worse, then you may get an increase in rating. Don't get into an adversarial situation with examiner about your file. Try asking something like "doc, did you see that ... as reported by my doc shows ...; that's on a doctor visit I had and should have been entered in my file? If you didn't see it, I have a copy right here for you." They don't have to take it, but sometimes they do. Just do your best-no arguments. Another thing,if you condition is rated the same by the examiner, ask him or her, "say doc, since it hasn't gotten any better or worse over the last 5 years, can you put in a suggestion for me to make it a static condition? They could. It is a win-win for you. If they do make it static, you shouldn't have any more RFE. If your condition gets worse and you chose to open it up for an increase, you can put in a claim for an increase in your rating. You'll do fine.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just answer his questions the best way you can and honestly. 

He may or may not ask you about how you got this disability due to your military service  that's already been proved  so its Illravlant.

You might want to be sure and let the examiner know how you feel on your most bad day  and without pain meds  you could not  get by your daily routine ...let him know you have to take your pain meds to make it through the day, if you feel your disability has got worse  you might want to go see a private Doc  to examine you and ask the Doc for his medical opinion/assessment  if he thinks your disability has got worse ?

just as this C&P Examiner will he will examine you and he is looking for your disability to show an improvement... take your private Dr's report   if this examier is trying to say your disability has improved  the show him your private Dr report  or his medical opinion  on your s.c. Disability.

This may not be as bad s you anticipate just go with the flow.  like GB ARMY  AND SHREKTANK MENTION THIS MAY LEAD TO AN INCREASE IN YOUR DISABILITY  IF YOU CAN SHOW IT HAS GOT WORSE.  IF NOT  THEN TIS EXAMINER MAY SAY IT'S ABOUT THE SAME.