VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DAV CCK Law Firm Letter -- Legit? Anyone personally have experience with these guys?

Rate this question

ReallyAngry

Question

So I got a decision from the BVA that seems favorable, totally slam dunking the VARO in Atlanta and the various mercenary opinions they acquired. A few of the items on appeal were remanded for the usual reasons. I don't feel it's necessary to go into all the details. However, then I got a letter from the DAV, which has done absolutely nothing that I'm aware of to help my claims/appeals up to this point. After some boiler plate about CAVC and deadlines, it goes on to say this:

DAV routinely uses the firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick Ltd (CCK) to facilitate prompt review of BVA decisions. CCK has concluded that BVA may have erred in denying your appeal, or in failing to grant you the highest possible rating or earliest effective date. Through a special arrangement with DAV, CCK is willing to represent you at CAVC for no charge. (CAVC itself will require that you pay a nominal filing fee, although this fee may be waived based on hardship). Very few cases qualify for this special DAV program.

So, is this legit? Why after so many lawyers refusing to help me all these years because there is nothing in it for them would these guys be interested in helping me now? I made it this far without any of their help. Why should I even consider such a program where if anything is gained they get a chunk of it? I'm sorry, but I don't generally trust special offers through the mail claiming only to help a select few. Also, I've been burned, let's see, by six separate attorneys on completely unrelated matters. I don't trust any of them, AT ALL. As far as I can tell, most of the problems in this country currently come about because of them--the ones who run for office, the ones who chase ambulances, and the ones who burn their clients for another snort of coke, because they are friends with the opposing attorney, or because they've been paid or threatened in private. I've been through a lot--you wouldn't believe me if I told it all. Already I doubt this will be taken as more than paranoid ravings by an unstable person.

More importantly, anyone out there with genuine experience with these guys at CCK? Anyone who has a history of comments online proving they aren't just a hired goon posting social media commentary for pay that is.

While I have no experience with CCK, you should look into the EAJA. When my claim went to the CAVC. I had a different attorney, and I did not have to pay a dime. After my claim was remanded, my attorney was gone because I did not ask them to continue my claim and they did not offer to assist. They got paid their money but not from me. I finally won my CUE/Unadjudicated claim back to 1998. You can also google CCK, listen to some of their YouTube videos. 

What About Attorney Fees for Representation at CAVC? | Veterans Disability Info

Edited by pacmanx1

Thanks, pacmanx1. I wasn't even planning to appeal because as far as I can tell, the BVA got it right. But if there's a valid reason to, maybe I'd pursue it. I'm just not interested in another self-serving attorney screwing me for pay.

I don't know anything about cck. But like you I don't trust lawyers I had one. He was a moron I fired him and got better results by my self. But he still got paid. But he kept my appeal a legacy and didn't move it to the RAMP  so now I'm 5 years into my claim.  I don't like lawyers. Sorry for venting in your post. 

No problem. I've yet to have a good experience with one. As far as I can tell, most of them only care about money. The only ones who are worth the money I can't afford. In this case, I'm not sure what the deal is, but was hoping someone had some insight about it before I toss the letter in the trash and forget about it. I've been fighting the VA half of my life now. I'm 100% P&T. No help from lawyers at all. I have several claims in appeal right now. And I'm about to have part of my foot amputated as a result of a mistake a VA podiatrist made, which will be one more claim. I'm not stopping until they rate everything properly as it ought to be so if they want to play games later and reduce my rating on one thing, there's ten other things for them to sort out. So, yeah, I'm tired, which is what the VA wants. If they'd just done what they should've all those years ago and got me the help I needed instead of playing games, I'd probably still be working a job, but here I am, broken and tired. Also mad that after I finally managed to make it, they cut the flippin' benefits for my kids' college education before they could actually use any of it. But that's the way they do things.

I remember sitting and watching C-Span back in the day when they were talking about going back over there to finish what they'd started. Some analyst got up and talked to the politicians about how much it would cost to go. Nowhere in that analysis was any mention of the lifelong cost to veterans and the ongoing costs of benefits to those who receive any sort of permanent injury. Some might think it's a good thing to keep it hushed, but it isn't. Why? Because they know the cost. The veteran knows the cost. The only people who don't know the cost are the citizens. Why does that matter? Because at the end of the day, the unspoken figure will be deducted when they claim they just can't afford to continue supplying those benefits because so many veterans are suffering and the economy just isn't that great. They always knew the time would come when the books would need balancing. They just didn't want to talk about how they'd balance those books by encouraging and allowing the VA and Social Security to deny every claim up front while the politicians are busy cutting the rug out from under vets in back. But I got off the track a bit.

Anyone know anything at all about the DAV and CCK and this "special program" not everyone qualifies for? 

CCK is "THE" prestige law firm.  Mr. Chisholm is probably the best there is at SMC.  

Yes, its legit.  You wont pay anything to appeal a board decision, because EAJA will pay the fees, but, be sure and ask your attorney about that, in case its changed.  

While I have not read your board decision, CCK apparently feels "you are entitled to additional benefits" not granted to you by the BVA.  This could be a higher percentage, an earlier effective date, or maybe SMC.  

I think you should contact CCK law and discuss this with them, and the fees.  Ask them your questions.  

You qualify for the program, likely, because:

1.  You are a Veteran.

2.  You have been denied at the BVA. 

3.  CCK has identified "one or more issues" of merit, in a potential appeal, which could/should result in additional money/benefits for you or your family.  

4.  DAV is known to refer claimants to CCK, or sometimes other law firms, if the DAV feels "its outta their league", but you deserve more.  

My advice is to call CCK law, and discuss it with them.