VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Difficulty VSO

Rate this question

aggravating_coyote

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

WELL WE HAD A LONG DISCUSSION ABOUT POA a few years back.

The part that was decided  was for THE VETERAN NEW VSO (Attorney needs to send a letter to his old VSOAttorney that he is his new vso now and his poa   so this new VSO ATTORNEY REVOLKS THE ORIGINAL VSO POA.

This is what I always thought.

So  I was told differently  but if you work for the VA  then I guess what you say is the gospel.  😉

U can revoke poa anytime you want if it's a lawyer he will get pay.

If it a vso they don't get pay.

If you want or are getting a new vso yes they must do the revoke poa with u.

I have seen some of the claims vso put in for veterans 

Veteran request an increase of his disability.

That it nothing else.

I had a dro hearing many year ago I present my case myself and the vso just sat there and didn't say a word.

I was granted tdiu but I did my own homework

Aggravating-Coyote, do you care to explain the reason for separating from the VSO?

This process is hard, confusing, and fustrating especially when you first start.

The VSO is a guide but you are the engine and decision maker regarding your claim.

Just make sure you understand the basic premise of VA disability and evidence supports your issue.

Evidence is the #1, #2, and #3 most important thing with claims.

CALUZA.............

1. In service incident of injury or sickness

2. Current diagnosis by doctor. By verifiable means (MRI, CAT Scan, xray, blood work, nerve conduction test, etc)

3. Concurrent treatment since service or a nexus statement connecting military issue to current diagnosis.

If these three pillars are present, you probably have a good shot at the claim being approved for service connection.

After service connection, the VA can judge residuals and affects for a rating.

DONT GET FUSTRATED. TAKE CONTROL.

🤠

I think a lot of us on this forum are trying to get the last or little bit left on the table regards our VA disabilities.  Or, have a major roadblock in an appeals or at some complex regulated rating scenario, etc.

I also think that the VSO's are overwhelmed with initial claim applications from first timers.  I attended a county wide Veterans benefits program (meeting) a couple years ago and there were Vietnam Veterans there that did not know anything about the VA or compensation.  I am sure there are Korean Veterans as well that don't know.  However, they both are becoming older and the county's other services are sending them to the VA, etc., and they start claims.

Just think of all the Veterans from Korean, Vietnam and the Gulf wars that are just starting out on their VA comp adventures, especially now that Covid may have taken their employment away.

Not an excuse, but I don't see some rep taking a day or 2 to get me a 10 when I'm at 90, when he has a few hundred filling out initial claims to get into the system and get some medical assistance through the VA.

Just another one of my "theory's"

Hamslice

I have pretty much done my own claims from '08 and went from 30 to 90.  And, I have never heard a "peep" from my VSO, the VFW.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hamslice I think you're fairly close. What you state makes a lot of sense. I do think that for the most part the VSO's are: 1) not trained adequately,, mostly just the basics: 2) handle way too many claims so they don't spend enough time to develop, 3)are either not paid, or underpaid ( The old saying you get what you pay for, and 4) are encouraged to go for quantity instead of quality. Broad brush, I know. But there are some really super VSO's that work their butts off,and then, some not so much. If you are inclined to do your own claims, there still is the current ability of VSO's that have access with VBMS to obtain records and other info in your file. and that is really helpful. If that is what you chose to do to manage your claim, just be sure that the VSO knows who is calling the shots, that is you, not him/her. If they don't want to play along, get another one who does. They get tracked on how many veterans they represent.