VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I've had great success with corrections to my military records.

Rate this topic

kent101

I had my DD214 changed to give me an RE-1 from RE-4, restore my rank to E-3 to E-1 and change of narrative for my discharge.  I was originally honorably discharged. I got messed with by some people and in a bad situation in the US Army a long time ago. These record corrections were done with a waiver for the 3 year cut off date due to the nature of what happened to me. While I could be bitter and upset at the people who did these injustices to me, I'm not. I'm just thankful that after many decades that my honor was restored. I don't hate the US Army. Many good people serve, but some people do bad things to others in the US Army. 

Also, I got my VA benefits over 15 years later. I was just an ignorant young man that thought you had to be blown up to qualify for disability benefits when I got out and no one helped me, including my father who retired from the Navy. I'm thankful that it all worked out as I'm 90% disabled and suffered more than need be. It's amazing because I got everything I applied for and won my appeals too. If you're reading this and looking for hope then I say hope can exist even decades after you leave the service.

Edited by kent101

Congratulations!  Way to go!

That has to be "even tougher" than me getting my benefits with an honorable discharge from the get go.  Did the NVLSP help you, or did you do everything pro se?  

Surely a VSO couldnt have gotten you there, or did that happen? 

Now if you are not working, OR if any of your disabilities have increased, go for 100 percent.  Because of someone "messing with the numbers, the 90 percent is just 59.9 % of what a 100 percent gets,  $1887 vs $3146 for 100 percent.   I dont know who figured out that $1887 was 90 percent of $3146, but they probably got a promotion for saving VA millions.  My teachers taught me that your pay should be $about 2860 almost $1000 more.  

The actual "difference " between 90 percent and 100 percent is actually way more than $1000.   Once you are 100 percent P and T, you get many more benefits such as free dental, and many many others, such as reduced property taxes in many states. 

My advice:  If you are not working, apply for tdiu, if you are working, and one or more disabilities have increased in severity since the c and p exam which you were rated, then apply for an increase.  

• HadIt.com Elder

kent101

Do you mind telling what evidence you used to get the DD 214 CORRECTION?

My SERVICE FROM GERMANY IS NOT ON MY DD 214 AND IT SHOULD BE I SPENT 11 MONTHS IN GERMANY AND WENT FROM PRIVATE E-1  TO E-4   BUT my main concern is why my service is not on my DD 214?

I sent them records and notes of my unit I was in and medical notes from when I went to sick calls and thet Dr s that seen me wrote my # unit company and battalion on the medical notes sign and dated...the board of military corrections still decline to make the correction...this has been going on now for 10/12 years.

I WENT TO Germany after AIT from Aberdeen Proving Grounds Maryland Jan 1969..to Nov 30th 1970

Nothing about Germany is on my DD 214.   JUST MY  BASISC TRANNING AND MY VIETNAM SERVICE....  PLUS WHERE I    E.T.S. FROM OAKLAND CALIF  OUT PROCESSING CENTER.  ....Thats all thats on my DD 214.

8 hours ago, broncovet said:

Congratulations!  Way to go!

That has to be "even tougher" than me getting my benefits with an honorable discharge from the get go.  Did the NVLSP help you, or did you do everything pro se?  

Surely a VSO couldnt have gotten you there, or did that happen? 

Now if you are not working, OR if any of your disabilities have increased, go for 100 percent.  Because of someone "messing with the numbers, the 90 percent is just 59.9 % of what a 100 percent gets,  $1887 vs $3146 for 100 percent.   I dont know who figured out that $1887 was 90 percent of $3146, but they probably got a promotion for saving VA millions.  My teachers taught me that your pay should be $about 2860 almost $1000 more.  

The actual "difference " between 90 percent and 100 percent is actually way more than $1000.   Once you are 100 percent P and T, you get many more benefits such as free dental, and many many others, such as reduced property taxes in many states. 

My advice:  If you are not working, apply for tdiu, if you are working, and one or more disabilities have increased in severity since the c and p exam which you were rated, then apply for an increase.  

I had a VSO handle my appeal that took 10 years for me to win. Other than that I did all the paperwork on my own through ebenefits for VA benefits. The board of corrections I filled out the forms and mailed in with the evidence. I'll probably file for TDIU or go for sleep apnea since I'll need c-pap machine because I've had sleep apnea but haven't asked for benefits for it. I just got tired of C&P exams and felt satisfied with the help I've gotten so far.

4 hours ago, Buck52 said:

kent101

Do you mind telling what evidence you used to get the DD 214 CORRECTION?

My SERVICE FROM GERMANY IS NOT ON MY DD 214 AND IT SHOULD BE I SPENT 11 MONTHS IN GERMANY AND WENT FROM PRIVATE E-1  TO E-4   BUT my main concern is why my service is not on my DD 214?

I sent them records and notes of my unit I was in and medical notes from when I went to sick calls and thet Dr s that seen me wrote my # unit company and battalion on the medical notes sign and dated...the board of military corrections still decline to make the correction...this has been going on now for 10/12 years.

I WENT TO Germany after AIT from Aberdeen Proving Grounds Maryland Jan 1969..to Nov 30th 1970

Nothing about Germany is on my DD 214.   JUST MY  BASISC TRANNING AND MY VIETNAM SERVICE....  PLUS WHERE I    E.T.S. FROM OAKLAND CALIF  OUT PROCESSING CENTER.  ....Thats all thats on my DD 214.

The evidence I sent in was my personal statements. They looked up my VA medical records and other records from service about why I got discharged. It seems they did a lot of the evidence gathering themselves. I'm not sure what their issue is with adding your time in Germany to you DD214 or somewhere else in your military paperwork. Did they tell you why they're declining to make the correction? If they give you a detailed reason why you may be able to look up their own laws and use that to help get it added.

26 minutes ago, kent101 said:

I'll probably file for TDIU or go for sleep apnea since I'll need c-pap machine because I've had sleep apnea but haven't asked for benefits for it.

Not to scare you but if you do not have a CPAP machine, you should have your PCP put you in a consult for a sleep study ASAP. Sleep Apnea is a silent killer. The individual stops breathing while they sleep and can actually die in their sleep if they do not start breathing again. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use