VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I've had great success with corrections to my military records.

Rate this topic

kent101

This is GREAT Kent 101!

Any vet who questions their DD 214 should apply for a DD 215-with a DD 149 form available here or on google and make sure you send it to the correct place stated on the second page of the form.

A few months before my husband died, his DD 149 produced a DD 215 and he was surprised at the awards/decorations that were on it.

The VA sent the American ribbons, etc but told him to purchase the Vietnamese ones at a PX or on line.

There had been scuttlebutt at Quantico  that his unit was awarded the PUC ,when they got back from Vietnam.but he never was sure until he got the PUC on his DD 215.

USMC did not award the CAR in those days but still,he had enough combat related awards without it and his stressors were never questioned.

Good for you!

If just filling out a DD 149 to make sure your DD 214 is correct, just put Not Applicable to the 'injustice' part on the DD 149.

You posted:

Thanks. I was going to do it years ago and didn't because they made an appointment for me in another county and I lacked transportation at the time. Now I have the transportation I need to do it and will talk to my doctor about it.

Now this is what VSO's in my are are good at!  In multiple surrounding counties, the VSO's have Vans and transport Vets back and forth to VAMC for appointments.  If you lack transportation, contact your VSO.  The DAV, for example, has literally dozens, if not hundreds of vans all over the country to transport Vets.  

I once lacked transportion because I had gone through knee surgery and was prohibited to drive for a time.   I contacted the DAV for transportation, however, I waited too long and the appointment was about the next day, and it did not work.  You have to schedule the transportation maybe when you schedule the appointment.  I got another ride, however.  

Every time I go to my VAMC there are at least a half dozen or so VSO (DAV, VFW, etc) vans bringing in or taking Vets home.  NOTE:  YOu can not get both DAV van transportation AND also get mileage from VA.  ONE or the other.  Dont try it, if you get a ride from DAV van, dont apply for mileage.  The VA LOOOVES to snare Vets on mileage trying to make 50 bucks or so.  https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdnc/pr/us-attorneys-office-files-federal-charges-against-16-individuals-fraudulent-receipt

• HadIt.com Elder

Wow, what branch was you in? I was US Army,

Well maybe that jag lawyer got some inside information, whatever,  but I am glad the MBRC/ABMC gave you your rank back and put on your DD 214  You never lost your rank, and the guy that tried to screw you over lost his rank,,,,the lawyer had to be a darn good lawyer  he knew what he was doing.  Glad they got that corrected for ya.

I have did what MS bERTA SAID  BUT TO NO AVALthey still deny me on correcting my 214.

part of my Vietnam service is not corret but at least its on there  I had extended stay and the paper work to prove it, It said I would not be gurateed to stay with my unit   and I sign that form  lucky for me I did get to stay with my old unit, my CO  (Capt, in rank were buddys) and I , they were 3 of us from the same home state  oklahoma  and we just all started being good friends and the entioe unit love our CO he bent the miilitary rules as for as prosudures and protocal  stuff  he was the kind of CO that if you do your job  then no one has the right to correct you   he told us all one time in military formation  he told the whole company  theres going to be some changes made men, he said if you do your jobs and stay alert at all times keep your weapons cleaned locked & Cocked and ready to ROCK &ROLL then thats all you have to do  and the guys love him for that, we never had to wear our fitiuge shirts, we all went shritless and we all got a long just fine.

Anyway getting back to the denail of my 214 CORRECTIONS , I sent them everything I had  even my extended stay form I had to sign, letter from a Major Bennett  but I never met him ,  he mention I was an excellent solider and would be a good for the military  ect,,,ect,,,  (the reup talk),I sent them some TDY incountry travel orders  when I had to leave our unit  and go outside the unit to recover disable military vehicals  some times by myself sometime a buddy would go with me, I sent all that paper work to the records correction people and a medical note from when I was in Germany that had my unit battillion name on it and the location in Germany, sign it dated it  ect,,,ect,,, I thought for sure this will prove my Germany service  nope still denied me!!!

I was THERE  from Jan 1970. DEC 1970 Tompkins Barracks, Schwetzingen, Germany   During 2000 the V Corps Artillery headquarters moved to Tompkins Barracks     , I can't remember what unit I was in but I think it was company B 517th heavy equipment  but can't find any information on my unit? Its not there anymore ,I heard the US Gov  gave this land Tompknks Barracks was on gave it back to the German Gov,? but since then V Corps moved to Tompkins?

, the compound cloeds in 1994 and there were a few other companys theres  mostly signal companys  topo, engineer companys  ect,,,ect,,  ect,,ect,,...but still they denied to correct my 214  this has been goin gon for about 10/12 years now   and they still said  unless you can provide strong evidence   your correction to your DD 214 WILL BE DENIED.

So after they said that  I don't know what else to do  I've tried everything under the sun  but to no avail  will they makre the correction.

The only thing they sent me was my medal's fron Nam , but most of the stuff FROM NAM  on my DD 214 IS CORRECT  its my Germany Service thats not on it   nothing about GERMANY was ever mention on my DD214 Nothing   and I spent 11 months over there  and it was winter time when i got there and winter time when I left...I nerver got i nto any trouble while I was in the military.

While in Germany I worked at the NCO Club Across the street from our barracks  Thompkins Barracks WAS THE NAME OF OUR COMPOUND they had guard gates at the front entrance  and the NCO  Club wa sjust right across the street   every night it was open and I worked as a Bar Back and bouncer  and cleaned off tables...I just do not understand why they can't correct my DD 214 and put my Germany service on it too?

Its not that Big of a Deal  but it should show on my DD 214 ALL MY SERVICE LOCATIONS.

I've sent them everything I have ,Altouugh  I do have a few more medical notes from when I went to sick call over in Germany that were in my C-File

I kept getting sore throte and coughing a lot flu ect,,,ect,,,  probably because I was around a lot of roudy GI's and women...I was not married while I was in the Military / I met a GIRL While on leave for Vietnam and she wrote me almost everyday I was there , she says she wrote me EVERYDAY  she sent me coors Beer and cookies a lot...lol   

and anyway after I got home we dated about 6/7 months and we got married   her Dad and I became close friends   and this was back on APRIL 21 1973 AFTER TWO BOYS BEING BORN and 48 years later   WERE STILL TOGATHER TODAY We Both have certainly aged  and her health has went down fast these last few years  and my health is starting to go down too,  I have gained a lot of weight and need to loses about 70lbs bad,  my wife did the oppsite she lost a lot of weight  and weighs about 97 lbs now...anyway it is what it is.

I have not decied to mess with the military board of records corrections in Virginia anymore or not?  that last letter aI got from them was a little snobby.

Anyway sorry for rambling      

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck You know, your mother never told you life was fair. And it aint. It might be time to leave it behind, rather than get frustrated over it. If there really isn't anything for you to be gained by revisiting it again, my advice would be just to forget about it. With all that is going on in your life right now, do you really need more aggravation? Life's too short IMHO.

• HadIt.com Elder

I Never Depend on the DAV Van to ride to the VA  NEVER...matter of fact I never seen a DAV VAN at my VAMC  sure they have them I just never seen them, I the kiosk  machines (when they work) to request travel pay  its easy.

I think they (DAV VANS )arrived like at 5:00am  I don't go to my VAMC until around 8:00pm  and later if I can get the Apointment in mid day   or mid afternoon, due to work traffic...I usually drive myself or take a train   either way they pay for the transpertion ,,,

But I do know they have the DAV Vans  that come to Veterans homes and pick them up just outside there front door, There was a 98 year old decorated  WAR WAR II veteran has my neighbor 3 houses down from mine  and he used the DAV VAN a lot.

However I moved and live in a differnt town now.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

YEAH I AGREE WITH YA GB ITS JUST AGERVATING TO SAY THE LEAST  ITS NOT THAT IMPORTANT BUT WOULD LIKE IT TO BE CORRECT  DUE TO THATS WHERE I served and someone is trying to tell me no I did not ...its just a PERSONL THING WITH ME NOW.

After things settle down a little I might contact them again....and send in them medical notes that the Dr sign ans has my company name location on them I found in my C-FILE..., but there should be some type of records stored they can find  that I served in Germany on those dates.

Like I said  its rather Personal to me now.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use