VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is There Anything Else I Need

Rate this question

Leo

Question

My wife was granted entitlement by the VA for 100% effective Sept 4, 2004, because of her being unable to work due to her service connected disability/disabilities. Her overall or combined rating is 70%.

She has been evaluated and diagnosis in 2005 by a Military Neuropsychologist and given a diagnosis of Cognitive Disorder, she is also 50% SC (VA) disable for Major Depressive disorder. She is currently being treated by a civilian psychiatrist who is treating her for the Cognitive disorder and Major Depressive disorder since 2005.

I have a copy of the Neuropsychologist report, the VA’s rating letter stating she unable to work, and a letter from her psychiatrist that states “it is my psychiatric opinion that her impairments in memory, confusion, agitation and at times disorientation are rendering her unemployable and are not likely to improve in the foreseeable future”.

We are getting ready to file for SSD (My wife is a 30 year retired USAF veteran who has worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes. We believe we have covered all her bases. Is there anything else that I might want to consider or add, besides hiring an attorney when her claim is denied?

Post Script: She has not worked since she retired from the USAF in September 2004.

Steven Crouch

Ret USAF MSgt

Spouse

Awilda Ciuro

Ret USAF LtCol

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Sgt-it sounds like she has excellent evidence-

however the VA rating is not binding on the SSA but the SSA should consider this and all other evidence.

I felt bad when you indicated you expected a SSA denial-

it is a shame that this is becoming normal SOP these days as many eventually receive SSA that they had to fight for-

You might want to consider ALLSUP, Inc- there should be a link here somewhere- they are disability experts and can assess her SSA potential usually very quickly on ,line with some info- and for a fee they can help her all the way through-

They claim 97% success rate for all claims they handle.

I cant believe the advise I give sometimes- after being in the vets electronic community for 2 decades-nowadays I have to advise vets to spend money on either IMOs or fees like via ALLSUP- and if the attorney -for -vets claims regs go through I will advise many if not all vets to hire attorneys right from the gitgo-

It is a national travesty that disabled vets have to often pay to prove how disabled they are.

One thing that would not cost much might help your wife-

we were very worried when my husband suffered a major stroke-

if he would be approved for SSA.

We obtained the SSA criteria for his stroke and there was no way he could have been denied.

Still it was stressful awaiting their decision yet at the same time he was hoping he would recover and not even need SSA.

I went to the Corning NY SSA office where they have the disability criteria. It was a rigamorale and took hours for me to find it and copy it but still I knew as soon as I read it that Rod would be approved.

That was before SSA had a web site and there are many other sites too with SSA tips- you might be able to access the disability regs that would apply to your wife right on line.

She did good on the VA award- hope it didnt take years- Berta