VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

EN1 Richard Reno

Rate this question

Rich69

Question

I recently got a 10% rating for my tinnitus, and was told it would be deducted from my Navy retirement pay. I served 4 years active and 20 Reserve time. Doesn't seem fair to be punished for having a disability and serving? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,  Richard 

It’s the law, not just a policy-va is following the law as written.  You got paid the one and were awarded the other. Until they “recoup” the balance you won’t get disability payments although you are still rated and can go to va medical rather than tricare (it you want). 

The short answer is you won't pay income tax on the VA pay, so you will gain a bit.

The long answer is to scour your medical records and make sure you have claimed everything that still ails you.  And if you were denied on some claims previous, maybe work on them and get them service connected.

Get to 50 percent, and then you will get both in full.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

"Fairness" doesnt have much to do with VA law.  I dont think it was "fair" that VA made me wait 17 years and multiple, multiple appeals for my benefits, then they paid me retro with "zero" interest, when IRS charges interest and penalties if I dont pay THEM promptly.  

Is it "fair" that a single 100 percent Vet get $3146 per month

but a 10 percent gets 10 percent of that, right?  That would be $314.60 per month (10 percent of 3146 = $314.6)

Instead, a ten percenter gets less than half of that, $144.  

So, VA math is that 10 percent is really 4.57%.  Try it yourself.  Multiply 3146 times 4.57 percent, and you get 144.  

"Where" did the other 5.43% go?  Gone.  The government "rounded down" the numbers to the nearest dollar, for decades.  By doing so, they hurt all disabled Vets, except 100 percenters.  Is that fair?  No.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco

When I use normal math for my disability ratings I am over 200% but until recently I was stuck at 90% for ten years.  I also think that the 100% rate for a disabled vet is absurdly low. Unless the vet has SSDI and maybe a pension most of us cannot survive on $3146 for a single vet or $3300 something for a married vet.  In my neighborhood all the houses around me sell for between 600K and a million bucks. I could not afford to buy my own house these days since I bought mine 30 years ago for 70K.  I think a 100% vet should get at least $5000 a month.  You know a 90% vet gets about half of what a 100% vet gets.  Is this fair....hell no.

• HadIt.com Elder

John999

Ain't that the truth

This is why were trying to get the A&A for my non veteran totally disabled spouse.

I  recently did a VA..GOV IRIS inquiry on her eligibility ?For the A&A  as I understand if vet is 100% and his spouse his disable and needs the as stance of another person to help with the everyday daily living  neckties of of life like help getting up/out of bed  help getting dressed   help bathing. help feeding herself, help transferring to a chair  or wheel chair  or help if she is blind...if she meets any of these conditions she is suppose to be eligible according to all the regulations I got here on hadit  and my research and other hadit members research  then she meets the eligible requirements for the A&A

wE DID WHAT THEY ASK US TO DO  FOR THIS INFORMATION  TO THE  T

We put my name and claim #ss # and date of birth what my disability's were and my rating my branch and  time served  date entered service date left service and the We answered all the questions about me  they ask,....rest was for her information  we did that  with her too  we left no blanks spaces empty on this question form.

we put on the form what questions they ask before we could ask the questions.& then we ask the questions about her if she was eligible or not?

They came back and said Mrs Smith we received your inquirer about your eligibility for your A&A ...We will need your husbands name and claim # ss # and his rating  and dates of his service. BEFORE WE CAN MAKE A DECISON on your eligibility.....>.What B.S.

Now we got to recent another IRIS Inquiry.  these people have an IQ Below my 10 year old granddaughter.

VA Hires some damn intelligent people don't they...Radicicolou

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck

Does not the VA know that disabled people have expenses that non-disabled people don't  have?  Just going to the supermarket for a severely disable person is a major chore.  If I did not have some other sources of income I would be in trouble. My wife is partially disabled.  When one of us is down we hope the other is feeling well enough to carry on.  I pay for a lot of services I used to be able to do myself.