Blue Water Navy - Nehmer (new)

Scottish_Knight

Question

New information for (Vietnam) Navy vets.  Thought worthy of passing along.

Blue Water Navy - Nehmer 

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced it will readjudicate claims for Veterans who served in the offshore waters of the Republic of Vietnam during the Vietnam War.

This review is part of the Veterans Benefits Administration’s implementation of the November 5, 2020, U.S. District Court of the Northern District of California decision to readjudicate previously denied claims as applied in Nehmer vs. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Veterans who were previously denied service connection for an herbicide related presumptive condition due to lack of in-country Vietnam service will automatically have their claims readjudicated.

Readjudication means VA will review the evidence of record and provide replacement decisions in the cases of Veterans who were previously denied service connection for one or more herbicide related conditions on the basis that military service was not performed on the landmass of the Republic of Vietnam or on its inland waterways. This review will also apply to eligible survivors of deceased Vietnam era Veterans.VA is dedicated to ensuring all Veterans receive the benefits they have earned.

VA ensures that we have the proper resources in place to meet the needs of the Veteran community. Eligible survivors of deceased Veterans may also benefit from the policy and may be eligible for benefits based on the Veterans’ service.

Veterans who have a condition caused by herbicide exposure during military service can learn more about Agent Orange exposure at this website.

• Like 1

Scottish_Knight 

Thanks for putting this up..great Info

Its about time Bluewater Navy Veterans get their deserved benefits....a MILE STONE TO SAY THE LEAST.

Attention ALL BLUEWATER NAVY VETERANS.GET THOSE CLAIMS GOING ...>   N.O.W.     AND AS I UNDERSTAND IT  THEY COULD GO BACK TO THE DATE THE VETERAN FIRST FILED AND WAS DENIED.

• Like 1

• HadIt.com Elder
Posted (edited)

This information was posted here by me in 2020:

https://community.hadit.com/topic/82623-big-news-ao-bwn-nvlsp/

It is not actually New news, it means the VA is finally taking their thumbs out of their butts, since the lost the NV:SP case. and that is new news.

I have been involved with Agent Orange since 1991 and I truly believe that  although Thousands of Blue Water Navy veterans or their survivors , are eligible for retroactive payment under the same FootNote  Nehmer provision, that many of us here were, when we got our AO awards, that the VA could have started seeking those veterans right after NVLSP won that case , in the link above.

For some reason, we have had only one Blue Water AO veteran here that I can recall.

and the word has never gotten out on the AO benefits that Blue Water 12 mile vets are eligible for.

It has not been in the national news papers,that I know of, and appeared in a few local NY newspapers, and former Sec Wilkie only mentioned it only  once at Fox News.

I guess the VA can blame COVID for the delay- because they could have started this review many months ago.

If you know any potential Blue Water vet, please tell them about this news- 

Many might have to file their very first AO claim, and would not be eligible for retroactive cash, past their filing date.

The DAV posted  a potential 15,000 veterans would be affected but I questioned that with the specific DAV Poster commander, as I believe it is far higher than 15,000.

We had a very interesting phone call and they asked me to volunteer for the DAV.  I might do that if there is any way I can help on the Blue Water Navy AO issue but that would all take time that I dont really have.

There is also an article at Mil.com on AO vets, but I read to contact the writer because he did not mention some important info-on AO HBP.

Edited by Berta
added more.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:09 AM, Berta said:

This information was posted here by me in 2020:

https://community.hadit.com/topic/82623-big-news-ao-bwn-nvlsp/

It is not actually New news, it means the VA is finally taking their thumbs out of their butts, since the lost the NV:SP case. and that is new news.

I have been involved with Agent Orange since 1991 and I truly believe that  although Thousands of Blue Water Navy veterans or their survivors , are eligible for retroactive payment under the same FootNote  Nehmer provision, that many of us here were, when we got our AO awards, that the VA could have started seeking those veterans right after NVLSP won that case , in the link above.

For some reason, we have had only one Blue Water AO veteran here that I can recall.

and the word has never gotten out on the AO benefits that Blue Water 12 mile vets are eligible for.

It has not been in the national news papers,that I know of, and appeared in a few local NY newspapers, and former Sec Wilkie only mentioned it only  once at Fox News.

I guess the VA can blame COVID for the delay- because they could have started this review many months ago.

If you know any potential Blue Water vet, please tell them about this news- 

Many might have to file their very first AO claim, and would not be eligible for retroactive cash, past their filing date.

The DAV posted  a potential 15,000 veterans would be affected but I questioned that with the specific DAV Poster commander, as I believe it is far higher than 15,000.

We had a very interesting phone call and they asked me to volunteer for the DAV.  I might do that if there is any way I can help on the Blue Water Navy AO issue but that would all take time that I dont really have.

There is also an article at Mil.com on AO vets, but I read to contact the writer because he did not mention some important info-on AO HBP.

Berta

I am probably the Blue Water AO Veteran that you refer to in your post. I asked you a lot of questions about AO Prostate Cancer

Update. Last Feb 3 I had a C&P exam for prostate cancer. Went well. Feb 5 claim closed. Feb 10  I had backpay in my bank account to 2010 when I first filed my claim.

In 2019 was denied for my Hearing and HBP. Appealed  to the BVA. For HBP I put in my claim a copy of NAS now said there was now sufficient scientific proof that Agent Orange did cause HBP. The judge remanded both hearing and HBP. Long story short 

I am now Service Connected for Hearing and HBP.

I am helping a shipmate and friend with his claims.

I thank you Berta and all Veterans and just everyone on Hadit for helping Veterans with their claims and getting what they so richly deserve.

• HadIt.com Elder
Posted (edited)

Richard,  Yes, you are the only Blue Water  AO Vet we have had here-

We certainly had many Navy vets over the years who might well fall under the HR 299 and/or Procopio regulations.

It would be great it the VA contacts them via their review of any BWN vet denied in the past for what is now a Agent Orange presumptive, and pays them under Nehmer.

VA's past review of denied IHD ,Parkinsons, and Hairy cell B calls left some of us here at hadit out of the review ,out but we knew enough here to file those claims.

I was with the original Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Association.I even wrote draft of the very first Equity Act.

All that has changed and I am not a member of the Military Advocacy group( Commander John Wells,) and perhaps they have a roster of BWN vets with AO that fall under the newest regulations.

I expected a lot of AO BWN vet claims here, and we did get many when IHD went on the AO list- but I have no idea why this was not important enough for most news outlets to  carry this news to all BWN veterans....many probably do not use a PC and depend on TV for their news.

And many of them are deceased by now but they survivors might well be eligible for DIC or accrued benefits ( or both)

You  did VERY WELL with your claims!

I am also surprised that many Vietnam vets here did not file for AO HBP.

Edited by Berta
added more.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By jamescripps2
      My bank account got a boost this morning due to a retro deposit as a result of a grant for an increase from R-1 to a R-2 rating. I filed a ready to rate claim on Feb 1, 2021. My C&P exam was preformed on Feb.12, 2021 and the claim was granted on March 16, 2021. I also was awarded an increase on Chloracne from 0% to 20%. I was awarded another 30 % for painful scars. I have seventeen rated scars, most scars are from four to fifteen inches long. I did not file on the scars, they were discovered on the C&P exam and awarded as a result of VA's duty to assist. 
      I also have a COVA case pending for an earlier effective date of SMC R-1. I have won a joint motion for remand and the case is at the BVA awaiting a new decision at this time. I expect a decision in May or June.
      I would like to thank all of the folks at Hadit for the years of correspondence, advice, and encouragement. I also must say that a lot of this would not have been likely without the experience, words of wisdom, and information provided from Alex Graham. 
      I began my claims process sixteen years ago in 2005. My first success and grant was on November 2, 2009 with the first ever Agent Orange exposure claim granted for exposure at a post or base inside CONUS. That win was for 100% plus an "S" award and 1-K.
      Hunter S. Thompson     STOLEN FROM ASKNOD'S BLOG!
    • By AJAXB37
      I'm assisting my Vietnam-era uncle with his VA Disability claim for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and small cell carcinoma of the lung related to working with petro-chemicals and asbestos while serving in the US Navy aboard the USS Pawcatuck. The claim was filed in August 2020 and was denied 12/9/2020. My uncle was diagnosed with bone and brain cancer in August 2020.
      They denied his claim for asbestos due to them not finding any scarring on his lungs. The problem I have is that they made no mention of the chemicals he used to work with aboard the ship and claimed his job (Boatswains mate) would not come in contact with any kind of these chemicals.
      We will file a NOD but I'm looking for any assistance with veterans that have successfully won their disability claims due to working with petro chemicals.

Thanks in advance. 
    • By Oliver
      I have a C&P Exam coming up. I put in a supplementary claim for Agent Orange hypothyroidism. Does anybody know if it has been added to the presumptive list. I heard it has, which is why I filed the claim. But my VSO, who filed the claim, says it's still waiting for Congress to pass it . Otherwise why would she submit the claim?? Please help, my email is richarddharrison@juno.com
    • By alliem
      Hi, I'm just starting the agent orange application process for my father and have a lot of questions. Would love to get insight from anyone who has been through the process and/or who may have similar circumstances.
      First, he was on a blue water naval ship (USS Ranger), but he did set boots on ground as part of a work detail when his ship was docked in Vietnam.  Has anyone had a similar situation, and if so, did you have to come up with evidence that you set boots on ground? If so, where/how did you find that?
      Second, he has lewy body dementia, which is believed by experts to be the same disease as parkinson's, the only difference is the timing and order in which symptoms appear.  I have seen that very few LBD patients have made successful Agent Orange claims, and most seek a diagnosis of Parkinsons or PDD in order to qualify.  If anyone has experience in how this works I'd love to hear about it and I have some specific questions. 
    • By NavyVetGirl90
      Hello Fellow Vets, I'll try to make this a quick an easy read.

I joined the Navy in July 2008 and served 5 years of continuous duty. By the time I was out I had several issues that were not present at my join date and eventually filed a claim for my benefits. Upon departure from the Navy, I filed a claim and was denied benefits for headaches, depression, a left knee and right knee condition. When I received my decision packet, it stated that these conditions could be granted a rating if found service connection. When I met with the DAV representative, he stated that if I could have my primary care doctor write a letter and say the conditions were service connected I would be able to have it reconsidered. So my Primary Care Doctor who is a medical doctor, reviewed my medical record and she drafted a nexus letter that supported my claim (with proper language *more than likely service connected) for all the conditions I listed above (and others I will have to go back and file for at a later date). In addition, she diagnosed my headaches as being migraines as opposed to just headaches ( after I gave her the symptoms I had been experiencing). I submitted this letter in June of 2016.
      In September 2016 my claim went to preparation for decision and then was kicked back and the VA requested a C&P exam. This exam was conducted by a Nurse Practitioner. She opined that my headaches were due to elevated levels of estrogen and that I was cleared from physical therapy in August 2012 so neither condition was service connected.
      As I result I dug through my medical record and found evidence of reports of "severe and unusual headaches" on documents that were dated as early as October 2008 before I was ever on birth control. And reports of me complaining of knee pain after I was cleared from physical therapy in the year 2013. Though I found proof that I had been reporting these issues and nothing was being done about it, I also questioned how a science assumption could be made in this matter. If indeed I was suffering from elevated estrogen levels, shouldn't the NP have conducted some sort of blood work? It was not done....EVER.

So my question today is Do you think that the opinion of the NP will out weigh the opinion of my MD ( who is also an employee of the VAMC in Atlanta, GA?

Thanks For your time!

• Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 20 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 58 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

406%
    $6,103.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines