VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anxiety - am I doing this right?

Rate this question

USMCNASA

Question

Brand new here.  I'm posting because I'm so confused and unsure if I'm doing the right stuff, or if I should be doing it at all.

I'm hoping to find answers on how to file a claim for GAD/Major depression.  Here's my story.

1996-2000 high school captain of soccer and baseball teams.  Captain of Snare Drum line in marching band.

2000 - enlist in USMC, squad leader in boot camp, meritoriously promoted to PFC at graduation.

2001 - Class leader in A school

2002 - PCS to Japan (Iwakuni) volunteer for secondary school, awarded Microminiature soldering credentials.  Perform extra duties and awarded Meritorious Mast for going above and beyond.  Compete in meritorious board for Cpl, and win.

2002 cont. While celebrating the win (but not yet actually promoted) engage in arm wrestling match, and lose, terribly.  Suffer spiral fracture which requires evacuation to naval hospital for surgery - internal fixation (plate and 8 screws).  Require months of rehab, and continuous wear of mechanical brace and continued light duty for months.

Ok, this is where things get hairy.

2002 cont. PCS back stateside (NY) while still wearing mechanical brace and on light duty.  Within 1 week of reporting, promotion ceremony is held.  I had to be promoted while wearing a brace and a sling, no "pinning" of rank and no "earning" of blood stripe.  From this point on, I'm pretty much viewed as a punk, and a melingerer.  I stop volunteering for extra duties or assignments, motivation drops, etc.

2003 - Drink heavily.  Merry an awful woman who is into drugs.

2004 - pop on piss test.  Before NJP, I make Sergeant due to previous meritorious promotions and excellent pro/con, rifle, PFT scores.  This infuriates most Marines in my squadron, and further solidifies my reputation as a shitbird, because I am a piss-popped mellinger who made Sergeant before most people.

2004 cont. NJPed, busted down to Cpl. Result of NJP is that I will not be discharged, based on demonstration of excellent performance earlier in service, but will not be allowed to re-enlist.  During a PT session I fall and get a class III AC joint separation, which again requires light duty and use of a sling.  Anyone who didn't think I was a melingerer before, starts thinking/calling me one now.

2005 - EAS.

2005 - Civilian diagnosed with everything from ADHD, to GAD, to MDD, to bipolar.  Various medications do not improve mental performance or fatigue.  

2013 - buddy talks me in to visiting VA for disability due to arm.  Awarded 30%, feel like I don't deserve it because of NJP.

2019 - visit VA mental health clinic, diagnosed with GAD and MDD.  Therapist suggests sleep study.  Just got results.  I have mild sleep apnea.

I have decided to file a claim for GAD/MDD and sleep apnea.  I have buddy statements on the official VA forms from Marines who served with me from boot camp through Japan stating I was a stellar Marine.  I have statements from Marines who served with me in NY stating I was not at all stellar, and performed poorly.  I have statements from civilian coworkers stating I had performance issues, was fired from a job, and was on the chopping block at another.

I have medical records from Naval hospitals for all my injuries.

So, from other service members, does it sound like I have any chance at a case? How should I file? I have an appointment with my previous Psych. Nurse Practitioner in 2 months from now, to request a nexus letter.  I don't know if she will write one, but based on our prior treatment session discussions, I believe she agrees my GAD and MDD or related to my service.

Where do I go from here?  Should I even be filing a case at all?

USMCNSA

All SC needs the Caluza elements, which includes in service event.  With PTSD, its called a "stessor".  

The trauma  of getting a borken arm " could serve" as an in service event, but a decision maker at VA will ultimately decide that, not me.  

Have you been diagnosed with PTSD by the VA?  

Edited by broncovet

Broncovet,

No, I went in to see the VA after finding out I could recieve healthcare based on my 30% from arm.  I went for a corneal scratch, and then learned about the mental health clinic.  I started seeing VA mental health since it is free (no more copays with insurance) and my diagnosis with them is GAD and MDD.  They haven't ruled out ADHD, but wanted me to do the sleep study first to see if I have sleep apnea (I do and I never knew I had it) and then see if treatment helps with brain fog, forgetfulness etc.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I think he is asking about  filing for Depression (MDD)and (GAD)  I see no reason why not? And possible Sleep Apnea Claim secondary to his Depression/GAD It depends on his VA MH Clinic Doc's  and L.C.S.W.  they all can help with claims if the choose to, most of my  VA MH Clinic Docs helped me   they are the ones who set up my sleep study and was diagnose with mild /moderate sleep apnea...  So I could File a Claim secondary to my PTSD...BUT I HAVE NOT FILED A CLAIM FOR SLEEP APNEA. My reason not to is I am already over 100%  with 2 SMC's  so no more $$$ in the pot for me.

Now If he is filing for PTSD he will need to be Diagnose from the VA MH Clinic ONLY... and then have an in-service stressor.

The Caluza Elements that broncovet mention  are

To obtain service connection, a veteran must satisfy three basic criteria. The first is medical evidence of a current disability. The second requires medical evidence, or in some cases, lay evidence of a disease or injury. And the third is the nexus between the in-service injury or disease and the present disability.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

USMCNASA

If you have a diagnosis for MDD /GAD

FILE THE 21-526EZ FORM AND ALSO INCLUDE GAD .

ATTACH YOUR EVIDENCE AND SERVICE RECORDS AS EVIDENCE FAVORABLE TO YOUR CLAIM.

YOU CAN FILE THE 21-4138 Statement in support of claim  and Buddy letters are highly recommended.

Same with PTSD ONLY YOU NEED A VA DIAGNOSE FROM THE VA...THE PTSD CLAIM # IS   21-0781

Again buddy letters are recommended.and no matter what you file, I would note this to them '' PLEASE RATE MY CLAIMS TO TO HIGHEST DEGREE ALLOWED BY LAW''...IT MAY OR MAY NOT HELP  BUT IT LETS THEM KNOW YOU WANT A FAIR RATING.

PTSD AND MAJOR DEPRESSION DISORDERS ARE  CLOSE AS THEY HAVE A L0T OF THE SAME SYMPTOMS  BUT YOU MORE THAN LIKELY BE SENT TO A COMP & PEN EXAM and this examiner will read your records and evidence  and ask you some questions  and he will fill out the DBQ and provide the VA your Symptoms...ect,,ect,,  then a vVA Rater will make the decision and they rate you according to your Symptoms.

What this C&P Examiner puts X  in each box according to your symptoms  is very very Important

btw  Welcome to Hadit   glad to have you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Also as for as the VA MH Clinic docs helping, your therapist can   just be honest and ask them to give there medical opinion  is least likely as not  ect,,,ect,,, also you may want to check your VA Notes in Myhealthvet for favorable findings the Dr's have mention about your Depression and make copies  any favorable to what your claiming   you can use those copies as part of your evidence to help substantiate  your claim