VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

blahsaysme2u

Question

I am a retired National Guard Soldier and am required to get Tricare, and can't get ChampV (once the Veteran hits age 60).  And the Tricare up here is Tricare East which is Humana, which is not around here.  So, with my wife's high medical costs, I will not be upsetting her Medicare Advantage Plan anytime soon. 

@Hamslice wait so you are retired from NG with 20+ ? or just was NG? i can only find retirees eligible for tricare. hasnt she always been eligable for tricare if thats the case though- not just since your win? maybe someone has something more on topic or maybe im missing the Retiree part(which seems like you wouldnt ever be eligable for champva if you were retiree, even before 60)

https://www.va.gov/health-care/family-caregiver-benefits/champva/

https://www.va.gov/survivors/faqs.asp#FAQ11

image.thumb.png.98e988bd6ec1c66076d86d868a1beb45.png

6 answers to this question

I am a retiree from the NG with over 27 years (14 active).

Yes, I could have gotten Tricare for families right along, but had private insurance through work post military.

But, now that I am 60, different rules, etc.

Hamslice

It's just a big puzzle.

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

"(which seems like you wouldnt ever be eligable for champva if you were retiree, even before 60)"

LOL, you could also be correct right there.  According to what I read, now that all reservests can get Tricare for insurance.

A new hoop, from the hoop jumpers,

Hamslice

i would think they are basically the same. thats what champva told me. that if the doc accepts tricare/medicare they accept champva. but i dont know much more than what they told me 

Tricare is Humana, which is a private company, which I don't think belongs in the category of a military benefit.  The Military (VA) should be paying the freight.

No one can tell me if ChampVA is Humana or not?

There in lies the rub,

Hamslice

the billing schedule allowables are the same from my understanding though. even tho its managed by Humana it still has same billing schedule as medicare/champva(or very similar). i dont know about drug coverage but isnt it all free(no premiums etc?)

I live in the sticks in northern Wisconsin.  All the hospitals and insurance's are or are part of Security Health.  

My parents, years ago, signed up for their Medicare advantage plans down at the Walmart who talked them into Humana and they got hosed.  My wife and I changed them out to Security Health and it was like night and day.

Location, location, location,

Hamslice