VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Benn 100% P&T for combined 100% for 18.5 years (SMC?)

automan2100

Hello Brothers and Sisters,

I've been rated 100% P&T since January 2003. My single largest rating is for recurrent major depression at 50% followed closely by diabetes mellitus at 40%. I have a slew of others that push me over the 100% threshold. I

have developed two conditions over the past several years that I wonder if I can get special monthly compensation for? I have a severe case of dupatryn's contractures in both hands limiting my abilities to type and grasp objects. 

I also have a severe case of E.D. that not even injections can help with. The VA has REFUSED to even evaluate these because I am unable to control my blood sugars well. My Gastropoesis is raging right now and I am unable to eat. I have lost 25 pounds. The VA REFUSES to treat my abdominal pain. How can we force these guys to MEET STANDARDS of CARE? I am a retired RN and I know the standards. 

If I file claims for SMC, will this reopen all of my previous claims?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible, but it really depends on how you file your claims and how they are connected to your service-connected disabilities.  Keep in mind that you will/would need a medical opinion with a good medical rationale that your conditions are as least likely as not (50/50 probability) caused by or the results of your diabetes mellitus service-connected disability. You can also put in for an increase for your depression. As to SMC, the VA can grant it once your new disabilities are service-connected, and you meet the criteria. 

Welcome to hadit.  There is a good chance you are eligible for SMC, but that would require a complete review of your file to know for sure.  

Is the Dupytrans service connected, or could it be?  If so, you should be eligible for "loss of use" of your hands, depending upon the degree of loss of use.  

SMC K for ED, sounds like a possibility, also, especially if that, too, is related to diabetes, or your doc thinks so.  

I dont know if you need Aid and Attendance, but remember you can get this benefit "even if" the A and A is supplied by a family member.  

Also possible is housebound.  While you "may" not meet the 100 plus 60, you may be housebound "in fact", if you are substantially confined to the premisis.  I say "go for it". SMC K for ED, SMC S or A and A, as it applies to you, and or loss of use of your hands.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I have DMII and PN in hands and feet.  I only got 20% for DMII but got 40% for each limb due to PN.  Do you have PN due to your DMII?  What does it take to get 40% for DMII.  My activities are not officially restricted but in fact they are due to PN.