VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Federal Holiday

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

While today maybe a new federal holiday and some banks maybe open the federal government is not. So don't think you will be able to get to talk to the VA today.  Funny thing is I got an email that stated if I had a scheduled VAMC appointment, that the VAMC clinic was still open and scheduled.

Juneteenth is a Federal holiday

We are OPEN on Friday, June 18. If you have a scheduled appointment at one of our locations, please keep your appointment. 

U.S. Office of Personnel Management @USOPM · 20h Today will sign the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act, establishing June 19th as a federal holiday. As the 19th falls on a Saturday, most federal employees will observe the holiday tomorrow, June 18th.

Edited by pacmanx1

Someone once pointed out:  

There are about 240 "work days" per year.  Subtract:  12 holidays, 30 days vacation, 30 days sick leave, 30 more days "Family" leave.  

That brings us to 138 working days left.  But we are not done yet.  1 hour lunch and 2 15 minute breaks (that usually run to 30 min each) times 240 working days is another 60 days.  That leaves just 78 days left per year.  Since the day before holidays are "party days", and the day after holidays are recovery days, that subtracts another 24 days, leaving just 54 days left.  However, nobody likes to work on Mondays, (52 days per year) so that leaves 2 days left to actually carry out work, per year.  Of course, there are errands that need to be ran, so most offices give another day off for that.  Since many take their birthday off, this explains why VA's backlog is soooo long.  

NOTE:  This is not meant to offend the "hard working" government employees, who do most of the work.  Neither one of you.

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually I had thought Juneteenth was already a National Holiday?

It must not been declared a National Holiday...I think its great they passed it   it was about time.

Black lives Matter.

The clinics are open, they are deemed essential personal.  the  ro’s are not, officially, although some of us ARE working, on holiday pay rate. We were given the choice. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

2 hours ago, broncovet said:

Someone once pointed out:  

There are about 240 "work days" per year.  Subtract:  12 holidays, 30 days vacation, 30 days sick leave, 30 more days "Family" leave.  

That brings us to 138 working days left.  But we are not done yet.  1 hour lunch and 2 15 minute breaks (that usually run to 30 min each) times 240 working days is another 60 days.  That leaves just 78 days left per year.  Since the day before holidays are "party days", and the day after holidays are recovery days, that subtracts another 24 days, leaving just 54 days left.  However, nobody likes to work on Mondays, (52 days per year) so that leaves 2 days left to actually carry out work, per year.  Of course, there are errands that need to be ran, so most offices give another day off for that.  Since many take their birthday off, this explains why VA's backlog is soooo long.  

NOTE:  This is not meant to offend the "hard working" government employees, who do most of the work.  Neither one of you.

Well, we don’t get hour lunches, we get 30, because no one wants to spend an extra hour at work if we don’t have to,  most people bank their leave as part of it is required by law to be paid out when we leave or retire.  Unless you are a supervisor with 25+ years you only get another 13 days each sick and regular leave a year, based on 4 hrs per Pay period (and hardly anyone takes it, see above). Family leave only just passed a few months ago and was never a thing until then, we don’t have party days (Hatch act, mainly- no one wants to deal with the technicalities), Monday’s are when most of our trainings, RO , or divisional meetings are….,

so, ha ha, funny, I get it. But honestly since telework became a thing the productivity and efficiency of the VA is up double percentage points fit the last year- it’s already been measured.  Getting rid of at least some of the larger office space Is all over but the shouting, I’d speculate. We’ll see what OPM says in July. It’s a waste of tax dollars that could be better utilized in other ways. 

• HadIt.com Elder

About the only thing I want to gripe about is they should raise the  Veterans TDIU P&T Monthly payment by at least 20%..We can't have the things we wanted due to my Service connected disability's The VA needs to pay us what we could have earned  jmo