VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent Education that goes with 100% P&T

Rate this question

KansasNavy

Question

I was recently made 100% P&T.  For the education benefits that go along with this the question is:  I have a 24 year old daughter starting grad school soon.  I believe she is still eligible to be my dependent until age 26.  She is going full time.  Am I correct in my thinking?  Do I submit something to the VA intake center to get her back on as a dependent so that she can receive the education benefit at her school?  I think its roughly $1000 a month.

Thanks

YES. This program is a YOOOOGE benefit for the kids/students. And, it makes it easier sometimes for them to prove to state schools/financial aid offices that they are also eligible for State programs that might be available for college, too. My son saves most of his DEA back. When he graduates he'll hit the ground with no loans, and savings, also. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

After I won 100% P&T, my wife and daughter both used DEA Chapter 35 benefits to go to college full time and earn degrees. My daughter had to be dropped from my dependency payments because they paid her directly each month. CHAMPVA medical was also a fantastic addition for my dependents, but it expires at a certain age for dependents. Don't forget to apply for that, too.

In addition, both also used the Alabama GI Bill benefits. To qualify, I had to have lived in Alabama for a year prior to joining the service and have a 20% SC rating. That fully covered tuition, books, labs, fees, etc..., but not food/transportation, if they went to an accredited public/state/community college, not private colleges though.

I recommend you also check with your state to see what benefits you and your dependents may qualify to receive. It is definitely worth the time to do that.

8 hours ago, Vync said:

I recommend you also check with your state to see what benefits you and your dependents may qualify to receive. It is definitely worth the time to do that.

for those in virginia- also a program for dependents if you are 90% or p&t. it pays a stipend if you are 100% p&t

https://www.dvs.virginia.gov/education-employment/virginia-military-survivors-and-dependents-education-program-2-2-2

8 hours ago, Vync said:

After I won 100% P&T, my wife and daughter both used DEA Chapter 35 benefits to go to college full time and earn degrees. My daughter had to be dropped from my dependency payments because they paid her directly each month.

did your wife have to be removed too? or just children?

Just the kids "who are applying for DEA Chapter 35 benefits" not your wife, and not the kids who are not applying at the present.  

You see, DEA Chapter 35 AND dependent compensation are mutually exclusive for each month.  

So, you can have them as dependents "up to" the time they start receiving DEA CH. 35 benefits.  

no i get that- but wouldnt the same apply to wife if she used chap 35? i dunno just seemed logical to me that would apply to them too but glad it doesnt. wife wants to go back to school so this is good info