VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service connection denied…unsure why.

Rate this topic

BionicVet

What I tried to accomplish was with the fractured skull statement (w/dr reports from 1984 stating I had a cracked skull) and with the buddy statement from my squad leader is to show aggravation when I was knocked out in one of the battalion jumps and with the sick call for the headaches. The only thing I am debating is that I count on my wife for a lot help everyday. That’s embarrassing enough with the loss of use of my hands. I don’t want anyone from the VA caring for me and wiping my ass. I am also employed, with the government and want to keep my job. It’s actually one of the things that keep me going. I work from home with support from my supervisors. ( I actually use dragon nat speaking to type this and do my work. Sorry I’m all over the map 😳

Edited by BionicVet

the fractured skull was noted on my entrance exam sheet when I was recruited. I did not have an exit physical, I was honorably discharged on TDRL,  and medically retired. I remained in Walter Reed for many months after that. 

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are dependent or addicted to the drugs the VA gave you then they will use that against you, thus blaming you for taking the opiates they gave you.  VA will try and use your legal drug use against you blaming all your problems on drugs.  They did this to me when I had applied for TDIU 20 years ago.  The VA was prescribing me morphine and oxycodone for severe chronic pain.  They tried to say all my problems were due to drug use instead of PTSD and Depression.  I beat them but it pissed me off and I have been pissed off ever since.

Why did you not have an exit physical?

They will absolutely blame drugs or alcohol on cognitive issues you may have.  They will absolutely blame your skull fracture on your TBI.  The will absolutely blame your employment status as not having severe enough symptoms that cause you to be unemployable.  

Let's break it down.  They prescribed you the drugs they are going to blame it on, for neuropathy etc.  You could easily say these drugs help greatly with headaches too (I used this excuse for fibromyalgia and headaches). They accepted you in the military as being dutifully fit for service knowing you had a fractured skull and it wasn't a concern at that time (you are correct, it was aggravated by your jump accident).  Your employment sounds pretty sheltered to me.  Working from home with the aid of computers and such.  Your supervisor (if willing), can help you establish this.  

My TBI issues went unnoticed until a keen Neuro Psyc. DR. probed deeper into my PTSD issues.  The VA pinpointed it on PTSD.  I did the legwork on getting the TBI diagnosed and linked to a bad training accident noted in my med records.  Not too much different from your accident.  I found Dr's and paid out of pocket to help me with my claims.  The VA is not going to do it for you.  They know very little about TBI.  It is beyond their scope.  I don't think they acknowledge it unless your missing half your skull and bedridden from an IED blast while on duty.  Most TBI aren't obvious, therefore you must be fine.  Look at pro football players (Aaron Hernandez, Junior Seau).  

• HadIt.com Elder

El Train

That is really a first class response to the VA's habit of blaming everything on alcohol, smoking or drugs instead of PTSD or TBI or anything else.  You did good! You know VA is also incompetent about Agent Orange.  They don't even ask us Vietnam vets about AO exposure until you file a claim for it.  AO and TBI are probably the biggest coverups the government has denied.  There was a vet here who did have a big piece of his skull missing.  The VA denied it for years but he got his retro in the tens of thousands eventually.  The VA is an atrocious liar about many things.

Have you scanned and posted the redacted denial letters here?

I cant find them.