VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Path to SC for tinnitus withOUT hearing loss?

Rate this question

mb76

Question

I have been out of the service for a decade. I claimed tinnitus upon discharge and was denied because I didn't have hearing loss. I gave up on that claim but now the tinnitus is bothering me. I have never gotten any treatment for tinnitus. What is the path to service connection? Note: my MOS is "on the list" for noise exposure.

• HadIt.com Elder

mb76 You have to address that in your original lay statement. If you had an exit physical AND if it addresses hearing/tinnitus, if you said "no problem", well, that is a problem now. Why did you do that? Maybe, it said "hearing"  but they never asked about "Ringing or Buzzing." If you didn't have the exit physical, not so much a problem. Get a copy of your med records.  It isn't uncommon that veterans get the disability and just live with it; they don't follow up with a hearing eval and just go ahead with their lives. Remember you need to address when it started (sometime in service or shortly thereafter.) Ask your audiologist if it has been common in their practice and if yes, make a comment about your discussion as part of the statement. The audiologist has to state that the veterans records and current tests/evaluations are consistent with others in their practice and based on their professional experience, etc,. that it is "at least as likely as not" that your current diagnosis of tinnitus is connected to your (event) in your military service. What is your MOS? Is it listed on the noise exposure listing? see http://usafals-afe.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Duty-MOS-Noise-Exposure-Listing.pdf

7 hours ago, GBArmy said:

mb76 You have to address that in your original lay statement. If you had an exit physical AND if it addresses hearing/tinnitus, if you said "no problem", well, that is a problem now. Why did you do that? 

What is your MOS? Is it listed on the noise exposure listing? see http://usafals-afe.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Duty-MOS-Noise-Exposure-Listing. 

Regarding your first point, my records show that while on active service I did say that I had ringing in my ears but also that it was not recurrent. My records also showed that I said that I only heard it when it was quiet or after unsafe noise exposure. This is what they used to deny my tinnitus claim a decade ago.

Regarding your second point, yes it is (on the "highly" probably list).

• HadIt.com Elder

YES YOU CAN HAVE TINITUS AND YOUR HEARING CAN BE OK, ASK AN AUDOIGIST THAT QUESTION , ASK HIM'ER TO STATE AN OPINION THAT TINNITUS CAN OCCUR WITHOUT HAVING HEARING LOSS...TINITUS IS RELATED TO HEARING LOSS BUT A PERSON CAN HAVE ONE OR THE OTHER  OR BOTH.

YOU WILL NEED TO MENTION YOU HAVE A RINGING IN YOUR HEAD  AND YOU READ ITS CALLED TINNITUS  AND ITS OF CONSTANT SOUND AND NEVER GOES AWAY WORSE AT BEDTIME.

YOU NEED TO FIND A WAY TO MASK OUT THE TINNITUS    BUT YOU BETTER GET USE TO IT  THERES NO CURE FOR TINNITUS 

YOU WILL NEED A Qualified Dr to state perhaps your tinnitus could be hereditary  and also likely as not could be from loud noise exposure you experience while in the military.  damage you your ear drum..

tinnitus is 10% for both ears.

SOME RATERS DO THINK TINNITUS IS ONLY FROM HEARING LOSS,  IF THEY READ FURTHER THEY WILL KNOW TINNITUS CAN OCCUR AT ANY TIME. AS WE AGE.AND A PERSON CAN HAVE EXCELLENT HEARING.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

mb76 If it is as stated, you have a good case. I don't know how a person can have tinnitus but it was "not recurrent." Is that like "almost pregnant'? To appeal, you need new and relevant evidence. You have been advised on what to do. Go get the new evidence. Get an IMO and dbq from a licensed audiologist, with "more likely as not" in it. You had it in your records, point out it is on the noise listing by MOS, and new statements in support of the claim., and it is worse.You can do this.

14 hours ago, GBArmy said:

mb76 If it is as stated, you have a good case. I don't know how a person can have tinnitus but it was "not recurrent." Is that like "almost pregnant'? To appeal, you need new and relevant evidence. You have been advised on what to do. Go get the new evidence. Get an IMO and dbq from a licensed audiologist, with "more likely as not" in it. You had it in your records, point out it is on the noise listing by MOS, and new statements in support of the claim., and it is worse.You can do this.

Thanks. That's encouraging. Do I need to get different audiologists to do the DBQ and IMO or can the same one do it?

• HadIt.com Elder

You could do either but most would just use one. The thing you want to remember is you served, you deserve. Keep on working your claim. Get the disability rating. As you get older, often an approved/granted service connected disability can result in a path to get other disabilities added as secondary. I can't emphasize enough the importance of the audiologist's IMO/dbq. Think "...at least as likely as not."