VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Which state has the BEST benefits for 100% disabled veterans?

Texas has 100% property tax exemption for 100% disabled vets. That could be worth a lot (depending on how much your home is worth).

California doesn't charge tuition at its public universities for spouses of 100% disabled veterans, which can worth tens of thousands of dollars once a spouse's DEA benefits run out.

Out of all the states in this great nation, which one has the BEST benefits for 100% disabled veterans?

Good question!  

It would likely take considerble research to answer it, and, even then, it could be disputed.  

Ohio has "significant" property tax breaks, has free camping in state parks, one free license plate for disabled Vets, Free fishing and free hunting.  Like some of the others I can audit a course in "any" state university at no cost.  (No college credit, but you can learn anyway).  

VA benefits are not taxable by Ohio.   

Also, Ohio has a "financial assistance" program for Vets "In temporary need".  This often means Vets who have applied for benefits, and, of course it takes VA years to process, and this assistance program often pays things like utility bills (especially when you have a turnoff notice), food vouchers (no cigarettes or alcohol) 

Perhaps the biggest benefit Ohio has over California or Texas:  Low cost of living.  

I live in a 3br/2 bath with oversize 2 car garage, all brick, in a "medium" neighborhood, and I paid 72k for it, but it would be worth 116k today.  In many places in Texas, a home like this would be $300,000.  In many places in California, it would be $800,000.   So, I have a house payment under $400 per month.  

Gas is a buck a gallon or so cheaper than California, arount 2.89 per gallon.  Milk is 2 bucks a gallon, and groceries are cheaper than many places. I was in Arkansas, and I guess milk is $7 a gallon there.   Because things cost less, your VA comp goes further.  

A friend in texas bought a modest home, I think was around 300k.  In Dallas, there are toll roads EVERYWHERe, it seems like if you go pee, you pay a toll.  This friend, in Dallas, can not seem to survive on VA comp plus social security, while its fairly easy when you have a 400 house payment and many things are cheaper.  

My vote would go to Florida. The state has been trying to attract disabled vets for years and has lots of state perks/assistance for vets. It's big business (or used to be) for Florida. That disabled plate that signifies 100% disability is a real chick magnet too 🙂 Unfortunately, I don't like Florida...

• HadIt.com Elder

I live in Florida.  The winters are cool and summers are hot as hell and humid.  As a 100% vet I do not have to pay property tax. I get disabled vet tag on my car.  I have lived in Florida most of my life.  It is a good place to retire if you have money.  If you are poor don't come here because their are few services that you don't have to pay for.  Well off people live on the two coasts. The poor live in the more rural areas for the most part, except the inner city ghettos.   I would not want to raise kids here because the schools are poor. For vets with children go to some place with a decent educational system.  Lots of stuff for wealthy old rich people. Not much for the poor including vets trying to live on disability IMO.  I could not live on my VA money here in Tampa.  I have a few other resources thank God.

@john999 is right. I spent about 10 years between Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, and Fort Myers on the west coast. Prices were cheaper when I first got there, it was kind of a rural area once you got 20 miles inland. I've heard in the last 5 years since I've been gone, they really have sky-rocketed. There were a lot of veterans in the American Legions there. The one in Port Charlotte was big, around 1500 members, but of course, lots were snowbirds. Summer heat and humidity is almost unbearable, though.

• 1 month later...

Never resided in Florida, but I like the sunshine state.

The weather and no state income tax are good too.