VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does a list exist of PRIMARY SC disabilities that cause SECONDARY SC disabilities?

Rate this question

mb76

Question

I can google things such as "secondary to PTSD" but I was wondering if there is an exhaustive list of (primary) service connected disabilities that vets have used to get secondary service connection.

This is a very good question and I don't have the answer, but would surmise it as a no.  To have such a list would acknowledge that each and every disability is exactly the same and that cannot be the case.  Each disability is unique as is the vet.  However, there are some illnesses or diseases that more often than not cause secondary issues.  But to use the old phrase, 'nothing is 100%', the VA will unofficially adhere to that.

With that said, a competent physician who's an expert in their field, should test for secondary matters resulting from a disability.  We all know quite well that this fails to happen, so one should exhaust the matter with second opinions.  And... when a second opinion discloses a secondary disability go back to the original or other physician for an additional opinion.  The more weight one can throw at the VA, the better.

• HadIt.com Elder

Scottish_knight offers good insight. What a veteran should do is sit down with someone who is a spouse, close relative or friend and ask them to objectively list anything that they see wrong with you (ex. walks with a limp, can't hear, poor balance, moody,etc.) Add that to whatever you yourself have come up with and start to do research to see if any of those shortcomings are symptoms of any of your already approved service-connected disabilities. Example: poor eyesight/vision are a residual symptom of diabetes which you have as s-c.. Then you look up the diagnostic code for vision and go from there. Are my symptoms worse enough to receive a rating for that vision problem? You have to develop from what you already have. Another example: you are s-c for tinnitus. You are observed or admit to your self that you don't go out with friends in public places anymore because your tinnitus makes it too hard to participate in conversations. So, you research "does tinnitus cause depression or anxiety." Something often overlooked is meds you take. If you have balance issues check your meds on s-c disabilities and see if it says it can affect balance or motor skills. As we say all the time, every veteran and every claim is different; you have to develop your claim from your own circumstances.

Short answer- no. There is no master list is slot A , tab B that exists for primary and secondary disabilities. The closest you’ll find is cfr 3.309 which of the list of presumptive disabilities to certain other circumstances. 

No.  Just because you are SC for ______ in no way guarantees you will be listed as secondary for _____.  

"Even when" causal studies show a correlation to the 2, you probably did not participate in the study, so you have to show that SC condition A, led to condition b, an opinion made by your doctor.  

Example:  Its well known that diabetes often leads to peripheral neuropathy.  So, if you are SC for diabetes, and have PN, you "still" need a medical opinion YOUR PN was caused by YOUR diabetes.  You dont get a "free pass" just because science shows a link.  There are other things which could cause your PN, and only your doctor can rule them out and offer a medical opinion YOUr PN is at least as likely as not related to your PN.  

There have been studies of a link between PTSD and sleep apnea, but the "only known cause" of PTSD, for sure, is applying for VA benefits.  As Berta explained, if you did not have PTSD before applying, and appealing, you will have it when you are finally done.  VA does not seem to understand that delays, denials, and lowballs, "mess with our future, our past, and our present".  Yea..it should be easy.  Get Caluza's and get SC.  NOPE.  Our records are often incomplete, missing all together, or inaccurate such as not showing a stressor.  In battle or even in regular military, you really never know when you go to the doc, if HE thinks its important enough to write it down on your record.  Ditto for your supervisor (sargent, master sargent, Chief Petty Officer, etc).  Documenting your PTSD is not a priority.  In fact, he may even try to cover it up, since it may well "make HIM look bad".  In other words, if a stressor happened to you, why did your supervisor not keep you out of that situation?  If you got shot, why didnt he make you stay down?  Why did he put you in a position to get shot?

Given the person often has a conflict of interest with keeping your records detailed and complete, it often does not happen.  Example:

Alex was shot and wounded in Vietnam.  The VA said there was no record of him even serving in Vietnam.  It took years for him to prove it.  The pilot who lifted him out of there was killed a short time later, and he isnt writing buddy letters.   His GSW was treated in a private hospital, which shut down and there are no records of treatment for his GSW.  

Obviously, Vietnam is not the only place where you can get shot.  Chicago, for example, has 4000 shootings per year, and it has the strictest gun control laws in America.  You have to demonstrate (prove) the scar came from Vietnam, and not from Chicago.   Or, by teaching school somewhere.  

Edited by broncovet

There's not a list. And the bad part is that even if there are studies and medical evidence that A causes B, all it takes if for the examiner to disagree with said medical evidence for secondary service connection to be denied. 

It took years for me to get my knees and back service connected secondary to pes planus and ankle issues. I asked my orthopedic surgeon if my knee and back issues could have been caused or aggravated by my foot and ankle issues. Of course he said yes and he could not believe the VA was fighting me over this. I had a nurse practitioner at the VA C&P clinic who kept saying that the medical literature says that foot and ankle issues do not cause knee and back issues but she never provided that literature. It does not exist! My appeals kept going back to her and she would just double down on the denial. My orthopedic surgeon, whom has been my doctor for nearly 8 years, wrote a medical opinion for me which finally got my claims approved. It's not fair we have to do these things but it is what it is.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Some conditions like diabetes have a host of potential secondary conditions. My DMII was caused by exposure to AO.  I still had to show the medical connection to PN and Heart Disease.  Now I am working on high blood pressure, but waiting until it is declared as presumptive for AO since it is probably only going to get me 10%.  Some secondary conditions stand out like a search light, but VA demands medical proof that there is a connection in your case.  Sleep apnea can lead to high blood pressure but you got to prove it in your individual case with medical evidence.  It is a pain in the azz but that is the game they play.