Misdiagnosed with Chronic Fatigue but it was Sleep Apnea

Cloudbuster

Question

Hi,

I try to keep it short and hopefully make sense.

2011 Aug - Got out did Pre discharge Disability Claim with VSO on base before I went on final leave.
2011 December - VA Examination, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, I dont have a copy of this exam only the one from 2013.
2013 June - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome DBQ
This Dr. typed in section #1 Diagnosis;
If there are additional diagnoses that pertain to chronic fatigue syndrome, list using above format: The veteran was misdiagnosed in May 2011. He does not and he never did have chronic fatigue syndrome.

in section #2 Medical History:
a. Describe the history (including onset and course) of the veteran chronic fatigue syndrome: Veteran was tired and sleepy for a couple of weeks and was fine one month later. Asymptomatic at this time.

2013 Aug - Rating Decision from the 2011 claim it took 2yrs to complete.
in this rating Decision there is no mention of the DBQ for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the denial area and there are no deferred claims. There are 9 claims some granted and denied but nothing about the Chronic fatigue.
They only mention the Chronic Fatigue DBQ in the All evidence considered section:

2017 - VA Neurologist put on the comments for my Primary Care Dr.
For Fatigue please consider sleep study

2021 - Was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea by private Sleep Doctor

2021 - I got a Rating Code sheet and there no mention of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

When I filled the Pre discharge Disability I dont recall we talked about Fatigue syndrome so I am pretty sure it was not part of the claim, but somehow the VA ordered a DBQ for it maybe because it was within the 1yr mark since I got out that I was diagnoses with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Would this be considered some type of Duty to assist error? as the C&P Doctor said I was misdiagnosed but then the VA did not order a sleep study to figure out my fatigue back then.

So all this time I been having low energy levels / fatigue / sleepiness due to the Sleep Apnea since I got out but I was misdiagnosed and not given a sleep study. Heck even my primary care Doctor failed to follow the Neurologist suggestion to order me a Sleep study.

What are the chances that the VA would grant Sleep Apnea back to 2011 since I dont recall claiming it but again somehow they did a DBQ for the fatigue issue.

Thanks.

Edited by Cloudbuster
update

• HadIt.com Elder

vba examiner decisions have nothing to do with whatever your  primary care doctor does- they are two separate things.

Your rating was based on what the examiner said at the time, then your claim closed, and they already commented on CFS and said you didn't have it. Examiners can't diagnose, and you didn't have a diagnosis for OSA so a vba exam couldn't have been ordered for you - you didn't meet all the standards at the time.

If you didn't appeal you don't have an open claim to hold your effective date back to 2011. You could file an 20-0995 and reopen it but your new and relevant information (OSA DX)doesn't include the time you would be appealing for and to file a claim for service connection you have to have a current diagnosis unless it's in your 2011 exam, which would be part of your CFile and exit STRS, or VAMC -if that's where the exams were done. Unless you can concede  it under CFR 3.317 due to unexplained chronic multisystem diseases.  So I would start by going to release of information to see if CAPRI has that eval (if it was done by VAMC). If it was a contractor then VAMC won't have it but your CFile should.

• Like 1

Hi.

I see, then is that normal that they do a DBQ and the decision for such is not documented?
Is not even on the rating code sheet so is like it never happened.

the 2017 sleep study recommendation to my primary care was from the Neurologist at the VA not an exam by the BVA.
But it was never done.

the 2013 DBQ was a contracted exam and they send me a copy that how I saw the notes and was trying to put this together with my new OSA DX.

I guess it suck, they did noticed I was having a severe issue of fatigue within that 1yr of separation but due to a wrong DX I missed out and you know you just let them win.
Now about 10yr later Im trying to get what I deserve as I been having this issue all this time.

All is not necessarily lost.  While I agree with Broken Soldier that you should have appealed the 2013 denial, "its possible" or even likely that you reopened that 2013 claim "if you sent in new evidence".  (38 CFR 3.156 b or 3.156 C).  

Va does not always reopen when they are supposed to.  

Even if you did not send in new evidence, if/when you are finally awarded benefits for chronic fatigue system, you can argue you deserve a 2013 effective date (the date you first applied).  

Lets not, however, get the cart before the horse.  First, get Service connected.  Then appeal the disability percentage or effective date or both.  

To get service connected, review your records for evidence of Caluza elements.  Its also possible your symptoms were not documented.

We dont get compensation for a diagnosis, we get compensated for SYMPTOMS of a SC diagnosis.  

Did your chronic fatigue system affect your work?  How?  

Its also possible, or even likely, that your chronic fatigue is really a symptom of sleep apnea.  

You could/should consider appealing the effective date of OSA (if/whn you get the envelope) arguing that it should be 2013, that is was misdiagnosed as chronic fatigue syndrome.  

This could well take an IMO/IME (doctors opinion that your diagnosis of chronic fatigue was at least as likely as not osa, instead).  Be careful, here tho:  OSA is not compensable until you start using a cpap.  You may just have to fight for chronic fatigue rating in addition to OSA.  

Chronic fatigue could also really be PTSD or Mdd, both of which can have some/all  of the symptoms of Chronic fatigue.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By Ranmic
      I'm planning on filing a claim with the VA for Sleep Apnea.  I do not currently have a CPAP machine and have not had a sleep study done at this point by my local VA Hospital.  Should I have a CPAP machine and sleep study completed by my local VA Hospital before I file my claim?
    • By Riplip
      I had my test last week and found my notes on Ebenefits. Nobody has called me and I do not have any appointments. Just wondering if anybody knows what some numbers mean? They don't have an average next to them. During my night recording i had 120 hypopneas, 7 obstructive apneas and 6 central apneas generating an overall AHI of 17.5/hour. The lowest oxygen saturation is recorded at 86%. Not sure if this is normal or not. I don't think I have anyway to SC it but at least they will take care of everything. Any expert advice would be much appreciated. Thanks all.
    • By bangkokbill
      Hi Board,

US Army vet needs advice on nudging NPRC and VA to acknowledge where my service records are and move my Tinnitus claim forward to a decision.

By way of background info, I filed an online claim with the VA on 1 Dec 2020. I tracked the progress online and noticed it was stuck on evidence gathering for several months. I then requested (online) for the VA to make a decision, since I had no further evidence to submit. I attended a C&P exam on May 21, but my claim remained stuck on "Evidence Gathering."

I reached out to my congressman and both senators; one senator ignored me but the other senator and my congressman promptly replied around 20 Jun 2020 (OK, a staffer  ) The VA says they requested my records around 28 Dec 2020 and 15 Mar 2021- and were still waiting. The National Public Records Center says my records were sent to the VA on 21 May 2021 and are no longer in their custody. 

During July, I have called the VA twice and was told they are still waiting for my records from the NPRC. 

Any advice on how to proceed? I'm stuck in limbo between two government agencies that are not taking responsibility and I have yet to find a decision maker that can move my claim towards a decision.

Thanks in advance!

Bangkokbill
    • By Wico1337
      I did not see my most recent decision denial letter in the mail. Anyone know where I can get ALL of my past denial letters and their reasonings for denying me? Also, is there a way to see all of my service connections and their wording on why they were able to service connect me? 
      One reason I also want to know the reasons I am service connected to things is because I was recently approved for Hypertension. They denied me Sleep apnea in the past because of my weight. But I believe in this recent decision, I leveraged the fact that I gained weight due to my mental health service connection. And I was able to use that as a nexus for hypertension. I am now wanting to point toward that service connection approval and use it as an "It was recognized in my Hypertension claim that I gained weight from Anxiety/depression service connection. I am wanting to transfer that recognition to my reasoning for my service connection to sleep apnea. Since the VA had prior listed the reason that I have sleep apnea is due to my weight."

Anyone know where I can get past approval and denial letters with details of connections?
    • By Donny Dollaz
      I am looking for anyone who can provide me some guidance. I was awarded 20% disability for knee arthritis on 5-17-21 but denied sleep apnea as secondary to my knee disabilities on 5-24-21. I did have buddy statements, a letter from my wife, documented diagnosis of severe sleep apnea, a prescription for my CPAP and a nexus letter from my sleep doctor. The nexus letter was ok but probably not as strong as it could have been. I am in the process of obtaining a second nexus letter. My question is, does it make sense to file a supplemental claim or should I appeal directly to the VA Board of Appeals. My VA Rep said we could go either way but the board will take 4 years. I dont want to waste up to 120 days if the local office is more likely to deny me again. Does anyone have experience with getting sleep apnea service connected at the supplemental review? Thanks for any help.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 20 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 58 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

406%
    $6,103.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines