VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is an IMO needed to summarize a claim?

Rate this question

mb76

Question

I think that I have enough medical evidence for sizable increase but I don't know for sure or how to word my statement because the medical notes and tests are Greek to me. I don't want to ask my VHA provider to opine. Should I get an IMO? I know that it might be overkill. Or should I get another doc to fill out a DBQ?

2 answers to this question

For an increase, you need "evidence" your conditions worsened  meeting the higher criteria levels.  especially when these levels of disability were not documented at your c and p exam where you were awarded benefits,

You dont need an IMO "if" you read your medical records and they document your current symptoms well AT THE PROPER EFFECTIVE DATE.   

If your current (worsened) symptoms are not documented, well, you need additional evidence.  That is rarely provided with an IMO, because the doctor renders his opinion by reading your history.  Instead you need a new medical EXAM, where a doctor can document your current worsened symptoms.  

Frankly, unless you are seeking an eed, becuause you applied earlier AND your c and p doc did not "give a date when your symptoms first began".  

In short, only a review of your medical records in your cfile can determine if an IMO will help you.  I dont recommend wasting money for an IMO, until you read your file and see if its needed.  

Edited by broncovet
  • Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I'm with @broncoveton this.

In my experience, an IMO may be needed depending on the circumstances.

For an increase, generally you would just need medical evidence showing you worsened and meet the requirements for the next higher level of disability.

Just keep in mind the VA may grant increases with a caveat stating your increased is considered temporary and will be re-examined in the future because you are expected to improve. If you are already P&T, TDIU, or meet certain criteria limiting future exams, the VA may just opt to increase w/o a future exam. Otherwise, if an IMO and/or your medical evidence or your provider states you are not expected to improve, the VA may opt against saying it is a temporary increase.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use