VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filed Claim 1 Dec 2020. NPRC says it sent my Records to VA 21 May 21. VA says it is waiting for NPRC to send records.

Rate this question

bangkokbill

Question

Hi Board,

US Army vet needs advice on nudging NPRC and VA to acknowledge where my service records are and move my Tinnitus claim forward to a decision.

By way of background info, I filed an online claim with the VA on 1 Dec 2020. I tracked the progress online and noticed it was stuck on evidence gathering for several months. I then requested (online) for the VA to make a decision, since I had no further evidence to submit. I attended a C&P exam on May 21, but my claim remained stuck on "Evidence Gathering."

I reached out to my congressman and both senators; one senator ignored me but the other senator and my congressman promptly replied around 20 Jun 2020 (OK, a staffer :) ) The VA says they requested my records around 28 Dec 2020 and 15 Mar 2021- and were still waiting. The National Public Records Center says my records were sent to the VA on 21 May 2021 and are no longer in their custody. 

During July, I have called the VA twice and was told they are still waiting for my records from the NPRC. 

Any advice on how to proceed? I'm stuck in limbo between two government agencies that are not taking responsibility and I have yet to find a decision maker that can move my claim towards a decision.

Thanks in advance!

Bangkokbill

• HadIt.com Elder

bankkpkbill If you haven't gotten all your records yet, request your C-file. It's going to take a year to get it but there may be something else in there you might be able to connect. I always ask the veteran "did you ever go to medical and what was it for?" Just turned my ankle, or I was getting frequent headaches is a response. That might get you ankle/foot/ back connection, or migraines. Or, most often, after reviewing you file you see medical entries you didn't remember and there could be a connection now. Keep reading and help other veterans.

GBA, is correct- get your VA medical records as well as the C file. And many veterans need to obtain their inservice SMRS

( service medical records ) and their 201 Personnel file as well.

I understand that the Military provides them for newly discharged service men and women, and I hope they leave the Mil with contact info for their unit buddies. Many veterans from older enlistments need to get them as every record you have could contain the evidence you need for a claim.

I like what GBA said- Help other vets. We all might know vets who have no idea how the VA claims process works, and I bet there are still BWN AO vets who dont know they have a valid AO claim, if they fall into the Blue Water Navy AO criteria here at hadit.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:15 AM, GBArmy said:

bankkpkbill If you haven't gotten all your records yet, request your C-file. It's going to take a year to get it but there may be something else in there you might be able to connect. I always ask the veteran "did you ever go to medical and what was it for?" Just turned my ankle, or I was getting frequent headaches is a response. That might get you ankle/foot/ back connection, or migraines. Or, most often, after reviewing you file you see medical entries you didn't remember and there could be a connection now. Keep reading and help other veterans.

Thanks GBArmy. 

Edited by bangkokbill

On 9/8/2021 at 9:24 AM, Berta said:

GBA, is correct- get your VA medical records as well as the C file. And many veterans need to obtain their inservice SMRS

( service medical records ) and their 201 Personnel file as well.

I understand that the Military provides them for newly discharged service men and women, and I hope they leave the Mil with contact info for their unit buddies. Many veterans from older enlistments need to get them as every record you have could contain the evidence you need for a claim.

I like what GBA said- Help other vets. We all might know vets who have no idea how the VA claims process works, and I bet there are still BWN AO vets who dont know they have a valid AO claim, if they fall into the Blue Water Navy AO criteria here at hadit.

Will do Berta. Thanks so much for your advice and help!

I'm surprised your claim hasn't been processed yet. The VA lost my SMR's and the years I went through hoops and dealing with my congressman and senators they still never found any. My medical records and my dentals are no where to be found. They even told me I wasn't in Panama so I showed them on my DD214 I was with 100's of pictures. They still processed all my claims. Just need to get a doctor to listen and be there to help. Sometimes thats the hardest part. Good luck and I hope they find your records. 

5 hours ago, Riplip said:

I'm surprised your claim hasn't been processed yet. The VA lost my SMR's and the years I went through hoops and dealing with my congressman and senators they still never found any. My medical records and my dentals are no where to be found. They even told me I wasn't in Panama so I showed them on my DD214 I was with 100's of pictures. They still processed all my claims. Just need to get a doctor to listen and be there to help. Sometimes thats the hardest part. Good luck and I hope they find your records. 

Thanks. I'm good now, my claim was approved September 1, 2021 and retroactive pay received Sep 7.

Edited by bangkokbill