VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU granted

Rate this question

Combat eng

Question

I finally received my decision letter granting me TDIU permanent and total. Where can I  find out about all the benefits associated with the grant. I read someone's post awhile back concerning free insurance. I want to personally thank everyone on this site. I couldn't have gotten here without your help. I urge every Vet I come in contact with to visit this site for advice and help. Me and my family are truly grateful and blessed !!!!!!

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Combat eng Well congrats to you! We all appreciate and celebrate when a veteran finally wins out and gets the disability they deserve. I might suggest you could also make a donation to Hadit out of your back pay, if you can afford it, to help keep this veteran site on line. Again, congrats. Stay connected and lend your knowledge of what you experienced to others with similar issues.

Congratulations:

Federal VA benefits are here:https://www.hillandponton.com/additional-benefits-for-100-percent-disabled-veterans/

Many/most states also have benefits for 100 percent Vets.  Some examples are:

Free or reduced cost hunting license.

Free disabled Vet license plates.  

Free or reduced cost camping in state parks (also national parks). 

Property taxes.  Your home taxes can be reduced or eliminated, but you have to apply at your state, bring proof of 100 percent disability.    Check with your state's VA benefits office or website.  Your VSO may know about that.  

Also: 

Yes, you get 10,000 free life insurance (waiver of premiums).  I have it.  Never paid a penny.  I could cash it in now for about 4000 cash.  

https://www.va.gov/life-insurance/options-eligibility/s-dvi/

Edited by broncovet

42 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Congratulations:

Federal VA benefits are here:https://www.hillandponton.com/additional-benefits-for-100-percent-disabled-veterans/

Many/most states also have benefits for 100 percent Vets.  Some examples are:

Free or reduced cost hunting license.

Free disabled Vet license plates.  

Free or reduced cost camping in state parks (also national parks). 

Property taxes.  Your home taxes can be reduced or eliminated, but you have to apply at your state, bring proof of 100 percent disability.    Check with your state's VA benefits office or website.  Your VSO may know about that.  

Also: 

Yes, you get 10,000 free life insurance (waiver of premiums).  I have it.  Never paid a penny.  I could cash it in now for about 4000 cash.  

https://www.va.gov/life-insurance/options-eligibility/s-dvi/

Another biggie: if you have dependents that are going to go to school some day. DEA- Chapter 35 Dependent educational assistance. It goes the the DEPENDENT (not to the veteran to give to the dependent, I think thats actually illegal- I came across a veteran on another site that was crowing about how "since he paid for college......" etc, and I told him that was probably not a good idea since his kid was an adult and the veteran is only the sponsor.....still pending on that one...)

It pays a monthly to the student- a little over 1200, like a stipend for GI Bill. It it does NOT go to the school, though you can pay it to them if you want. Its good for 36 months, which is "school months", so basically a free income of 1200 a month for 4 yrs of school. 

Many State schools recognize dependentes of 100% disabled P/T veterans with tuiition remission- partial or full. Each school's process on this, and whether they do it, is completely up to them and the state you are in. NE does it, California, Texas (Hazelwood Act I think they call it), etc. This is in addition to grants and scholarships that they might already qualify for and since it doesn't go to the school it doesn't reduce your potential for aid- because just like our disability DEA isn't "income". 

You usually have to dig on the Fin Aid site for the school, or contact them, or the Vet rep for the school. UNL in NE used to have it on the front of their financial aid page but had to remove it because so many people saw 'veteran' and applied, didnt get it, then called back to yell at the fin aid people because the veteran or student didnt read the instructions. Technically your dependent is supposed to apply completely on their own, you just have 1 blk to fill in with your information. I helped my son do it the first time, then we set a calendar reminder in his phone because you have to have the school certify it every term, usually the veteran rep or the financial aid office. 

FANTASTIC News!!!!!!

Also your wife and dependents are eligible for CHAMPVA- Lots of info here on this Wonderful Benefit-under search feature CHAMPVA -

It has to be applied for and VA does not mention it at all , as far as I know, in P & T awards.

They advised me in a separate letter of how to apply for it.

CHAMPVA Benefits | Veterans Affairs

Get the CHAMPVA app in ASAP. They take 3-4 months to process.

Also, ILP program in VR&E may be a bright light to look into. They can do a lot for you based on the 100% P&T IU that you have. Cannot go to school/college because then the IU will invalidate, but, they can help you with hobbies giving you something to do because you cannot work. One guy got a greenhouse, another guy got a wood shop with equipment. There is still a lot that you can do, all you have to do do is want it and apply. Ever doodle in photography, or with computer art? Lots of things via the independent living program under Chapter 35.