VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Payment Start Date same as your effective date?

Rate this topic

pawmbi

First, I want to say thank you to every single person who has contributed to this forum.  I have read or received great advice, success stories, encouragement and because of that I was able to pursue my claim.  August 2, 2021 I was granted 100% !!!!!!!!!!  I am beyond excited!  But of course I have questions.  So the rating official says in my rating decision..."An evaluation is assigned from August 19, 2020, the date of your supplemental claim since you have pursued the claim continuously since that time..."  On page two of the packet it has 3 boxes Monthly etitlement Amount, Payment Start Date and Reason.  In the Payment Start Date box it has Feb 1, 2021.  So am I getting back pay to August 2020 like the rating official says or does the 100% rating start in February??  So confused.  

Also where do I find that it is 100% P&T I didn't see that language anywhere.....

The payment start date is different than the effective date.  This may help understand it.  

We are compensated for disabilities "which have already happened", not those that will happen in the future.  That means Compensation is paid "in arrears", not "in advance" like your rent.  

Also, you get paid for the first "FULL" month..you dont get paid for a week, 2 weeks, 10 days, etc, or any "partial" months.  

In short, your compensation begins "on the first day of the month following" your effective date.  

Example:

Your effective date is June 14.  On July 1 your compensation 'begins", but you dont get paid until you have been disabled a full month, on August 1.  

We dont have to like this ( I dont), but good luck trying to change it!  

You can log on to Benefits and go to letter generator. Pull up the one that says benefit summary and service verification letter. It will state if you're P&T there.  The other letter are also important as far as commissary and taxes are concerned.

1 hour ago, Combat eng said:

You can log on to Benefits and go to letter generator. Pull up the one that says benefit summary and service verification letter. It will state if you're P&T there.  The other letter are also important as far as commissary and taxes are concerned.

Thank you found it!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use