VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increase to 100% without C&P exam

Rate this question

1454th Solider

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are trying to get 100% for a mental condition be prepared for an exam via VA.  Have you looked at the criteria for 100% for any mental condition?  If VA goes by their own criteria you have to be a basket case.  You must be psychotic and needing to be institutionalized.  I got 70% for bipolar disorder and my doctors were very supportive, but not to the extent I was psychotic and drooling.  You can get TDIU with 70% and not have to roll around on the floor and bark like a dog.

5 hours ago, john999 said:

If you are trying to get 100% for a mental condition be prepared for an exam via VA.  Have you looked at the criteria for 100% for any mental condition?  If VA goes by their own criteria you have to be a basket case.  You must be psychotic and needing to be institutionalized.  I got 70% for bipolar disorder and my doctors were very supportive, but not to the extent I was psychotic and drooling.  You can get TDIU with 70% and not have to roll around on the floor and bark like a dog.

Thanks for the input, I know a few Vets that have a 100% PT rating for Mental health disorders.

The hidden issue with being rated 100% PTSD scheduler is that the VA could try to determine that you are incompetent to manage your own funds (VA COMPENSATION) and also that you may not be allowed to have a gun. Veterans that are 100% PTSD cannot legally work unless they work in some type of sheltered environment that the VA has to approve. 

Va has nothing to do with approving or not what a sheltered environment is. SSA/DOL define it as: 

A sheltered workshop is a private non-profit, state, or local government institution that provides employment opportunities for individuals who are developmentally, physically, or mentally impaired, to prepare for gainful work in the general economy. These services may include physical rehabilitation, training in basic work and life skills (e.g., how to apply for a job, attendance, personal grooming, and handling money), training on specific job skills, and providing work experience in the workshop.

• HadIt.com Elder

I also know some vets who have 100% for a emotional/mental condition.  They are profoundly disabled and do live a pretty restricted life.  I am sure that at one point I was 100% when I got back from Vietnam.  The VA criteria for 100% for a mental disorder are severe.  You should read the DBQ for 100% if you have not read it already.  If you have 70% for a mental condition you probably cannot work at all  anyway. I got rated 70% for mental and I was in sad shape.    This is what TDIU is for without having to have some SOB contract shrink decide you just are not that disabled when you apply for 100%.  We all want 100% schedular but getting it for a mental thing is sometimes a bridge too far.  I don't blame anyone for going for 100% for mental.  I tried but the VA clowns said 70% and even denied me TDIU the first time.  I had three IMO's saying I was 100% and VA just ignored that.