VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just had my LHI c & p for Rhinitis. It lasted 5 minutes and they didn't do the Gulf War DBQ requested by the VA.

Rate this question

talusians

Question

I applied for compensation for Rhinitis. Service connection is presumed based on my time in Iraq in 2003, but it is also noted in my exit exam when I left service. The c & p was set up through LHI and I had the appointment today. Service Requested on the appointment confirmation says DBQ General Medical Gulf War, DBQ ENT Sinusitis, Rhinitis & Other ENT Conditions, DBQ Medical Opinion - MED: ENT Sinusitis, Rhinitis & Other ENT Conditions. The appointment was supposed to last 75 minutes. I went in at noon and was out at 12:05. I know for a 30% rating for Rhinitis, I would have to have nasal polyps. I don't know if I do. I asked the evaluator about it and she said an endoscopy would need to be done and that she didn't know if I did, but probably not. Ok. How would the evaluator answer the nasal polyp question on the DBQ? I'm assuming she would need to leave it blank. Will the VA ask for an endoscopy before rating me? If I end up only being rated 0% after being properly evaluated, that's fine, but I do plan on adding my asthma, vocal cord dysfunction and Eustachian tube dysfunction as secondary to Rhinitis once it's on my record. Has anyone had success doing this? Also, I wasn't asked anything on the Gulf War DBQ. I did call the VA and report that it wasn't done as requested because I don't want to find out later that this doc turned it in with made up answers. Has anyone had this happen before where an evaluator does not do any type of exam or ask any questions for a DBQ the VA requested?

• HadIt.com Elder

talusians I don't know what your dbq is that has to be filled out, but if there are questions on there that weren't asked or test eval done that should have been, then you are right to call out the examiner. If that situation continues to exist and you get a low-ball or denial, it is a CUE. The RO doesn't like obvious failure to assist errors. Veterans can indeed file secondaries related to a s-c disability rated at 0%. I would go one further; I would submit it as additional evidence to your file. If you end up going HLR and/or BVA, it would be very favorable evidence. Be sure to mention length of the exam time.

Maybe the examiner didn't have a clue on this:

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5699

You said:

"I did call the VA and report that it wasn't done as requested because I don't want to find out later that this doc turned it in with made up answers. Has anyone had this happen before where an evaluator does not do any type of exam or ask any questions for a DBQ the VA requested?"

Who did you call? the 800#????

Do you have a phone number for where the exam was done?

I suggest calling them (LHI) at the # below if you dont have that number.

Of course you dont have a copy of the C & P exam yet-but it sounds like it was not done right ---many here have had this experience.

The C & P exam is often the MOST critical part of a service connection claim. If a lousy exam is not corrected it can follow the veteran negatively for Years!

I strongly suggest that you call the White House Veterans Hot line:

347 237 4819

Tell them of the recent Presumptive Gulf War legislation and what you told us as to the C & P exam and where it was done and that LHI did it.

This is all we need- to have C & P examiners uninformed of new presumptives. That gives VA a way out for not making a valid  nexus statement .

When I got some BS from the VA on my AO IHD death claim ( survivor of Vietnam combat Vet)( they denied my death claim for a ludicrous reason)) I raised HELL and of course they reversed the denial with a proper award ( in mere weeks) ( Legal HELL----- a valid CUE claim)

LHI Headquarters

328 Front Street South
La Crosse, WI 54601

information@logisticshealth.com

Fax: 608.783.7532

16 hours ago, GBArmy said:

talusians I don't know what your dbq is that has to be filled out, but if there are questions on there that weren't asked or test eval done that should have been, then you are right to call out the examiner. If that situation continues to exist and you get a low-ball or denial, it is a CUE. The RO doesn't like obvious failure to assist errors. Veterans can indeed file secondaries related to a s-c disability rated at 0%. I would go one further; I would submit it as additional evidence to your file. If you end up going HLR and/or BVA, it would be very favorable evidence. Be sure to mention length of the exam time.

Thanks GBArmy!

Do we have the new DBQ for the new presumptive posted here yet?

2 hours ago, Berta said:

Maybe the examiner didn't have a clue on this:

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5699

You said:

"I did call the VA and report that it wasn't done as requested because I don't want to find out later that this doc turned it in with made up answers. Has anyone had this happen before where an evaluator does not do any type of exam or ask any questions for a DBQ the VA requested?"

Who did you call? the 800#????

Do you have a phone number for where the exam was done?

I suggest calling them (LHI) at the # below if you dont have that number.

Of course you dont have a copy of the C & P exam yet-but it sounds like it was not done right ---many here have had this experience.

The C & P exam is often the MOST critical part of a service connection claim. If a lousy exam is not corrected it can follow the veteran negatively for Years!

I strongly suggest that you call the White House Veterans Hot line:

347 237 4819

Tell them of the recent Presumptive Gulf War legislation and what you told us as to the C & P exam and where it was done and that LHI did it.

This is all we need- to have C & P examiners uninformed of new presumptives. That gives VA a way out for not making a valid  nexus statement .

When I got some BS from the VA on my AO IHD death claim ( survivor of Vietnam combat Vet)( they denied my death claim for a ludicrous reason)) I raised HELL and of course they reversed the denial with a proper award ( in mere weeks) ( Legal HELL----- a valid CUE claim)

LHI Headquarters

328 Front Street South
La Crosse, WI 54601

information@logisticshealth.com

Fax: 608.783.7532

Hi Berta...yes, I called the 800 number and spoke to someone in the Comp and Pen department. She wrote up what I told her, sent it on to Regional and said I should hear from them within the next week. I would like to ask them some questions. For example, the evaluator said I would need an endoscopy to determine if I have nasal polyps. Will the VA order that before making a decision? On the DBQ, she is supposed to list anything related to Ear, Nose and Throat that I have. She didn't ask me anything outside of specific Rhinitis questions. I believe my secondary issues should have been noted. There is a section for it. I think the vocal cord dysfunction might even fall under the laryngitis section. Anyone with half a brain can hear it when I speak which should have prompted a question from her, in my opinion. I voluntarily mentioned the conditions to her, but she was uninterested and said I would be asked about those if I submit future claims for them. Also, the VA requested the General Medical Gulf War DBQ be completed by this NP, along with the ENT DBQ for my actual claim. I'm not sure why they added it, but it certainly wasn't done so I want to make sure the VA is aware of that. There is no way that NP could answer all the questions on that DBQ without asking me. She has no idea what types of exposure I had or what issues I deal with now. The VA doesn't have everything in their records. She never even asked me anything about Iraq. How could she in a 5 minute eval??? Ridiculous. I was hoping the VA added the Gulf War DBQ because they were actually doing the right thing and wanted to add other issues to my claim. I haven't been able to find any information from other Vets that had the VA add that DBQ to their claim though. Anyways, I'm not sure I want to call LHI. I don't trust them. Should I call the WH hotline now or wait until I hear back from whoever is supposed to follow-up with me from "Regional"?

I recommend to try to see if LHI can rectify this-and if they dont, call the WH Hot line.

PS we call the 800# "Peggy"-for good reason:

You also can file an IRIS complaint.

Go to the main VA.gov site, click on Contact Us, be prepared for what they ask you-as to your service and then tell them what happened.

Ask for an email reply- not phone call- this way you have hard copy evidence of what IRIS says.

Edited by Berta