VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Doordash and TDIU

Rate this question

johnsoncm

Question

My question is can you be on TDIU  and still do Doordash?  Next year will be 10 years TDIU for me.  I'd like to make some extra money to payoff bills and think about a bigger home for my family.  I know there's no way I can work like I used to, I've accepted my limitations,  but Doordash would let me work when I want and if I'm hurting, I don't have to do anything.  Plus I think it would qualify under both marginal and protected environment work.

Honestly, though,  the VA terrifies me, and I've heard stories of vets who followed the rules and got screwed anyway.  So I'm asking for advice or anyone with experience here.  I tried going on the Board of Veterans Appeals site and searched up "Doordash" to see if anyone has gone through this, but nothing that applied.

Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

Tough spot to be in. I can understand you wanting to go back to work but you need to be very careful about it. As you are aware if on TDIU you can't make more than the poverty level requirements which are different geographically throughout the country. Rate would be much higher in NY city or Chicago than some small town in Alabama for instance. It is somewhere around $13k a year but check your area. You can also work if you are in a protective employment situation, and that is what it looks like you are considering. If the local Doordash employer writes up a description of your work conditions ex. unlimited call-outs for work, something in writing which shows how much they are willing to accomodate you, it MIGHT fly. But even if working part time  is it going to raise your standard of living enough to risk your disability rating is the question. Next year you will be under the 10 year rule: “10-Year Rule” says a condition cannot be reduced after being compensated for a full decade unless there is medical evidence of improvement of the condition. Have you been seeking and getting MH care, either thru the VA or private? Have your conditions stayed the same, gotten better or worse? Just because they shouldn't reduce, doesn't mean that they won't put you in for a reduction and you have to appeal the proposal to reduce. Last thing to consider is your age. You have 9+ years with that disability. If your med records document you are not going to get better and no real improvement, you can ask to be made P&T. Realistically, if you are in your 50's, it could happen. Then of course you wound not have to worry about the income cap. Consider all the facts and be honest with you self. Good luck.

Johnsoncm   Have you been going to the VA or private doctors for your disability’s has any of your disability’s improved, if not I would call the VA and ask them if I felt up to it, can I try being a doorhash deliveryman will it affect my TDIU yes or no if no get it in writing if yes them you have to make a big decision good lucky ( SemperFI Brother )

3 hours ago, johnsoncm said:

I'd like to make some extra money to payoff bills and think about a bigger home for my family. 

Instead of thinking going back to work I would suggest filing for SSDI (SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY INSURANCE). This benefit pays you your early social security retirement pay and would allow you to get both VA compensation and SSA benefits. Some veterans don't know they can get both and the income is not that bad. As stated above, if your conditions have not gotten better and or if you can get a medical opinion that you cannot work due to your service-connected disabilities, you can ask the VA to grant you P & T (Permanent And Total) and this would open the door for other benefits like DEA CH 35 (DEPENDENT EDUCATION), CHAMPVA (DEPENDENT MEDICAL), MWR (MILITARY ID CARD). 

The main thing about getting SSDI, is not only pays you your early SSA benefits, your dependent may be allowed benefits also but that would be up to the SSA Office. One of the main things about getting P & T is that your dependent would get CH 35 which is paid (COLLEGE) education for your dependents. The two benefits can add up to around $4,100.00 a month and could be more if your dependents get anything or work and the CH 35 is a separate payment to your dependents. 

• HadIt.com Elder

After 20 years at a  VA disability rate the VA cannot reduce you or cut you at all unless they can prove fraud.  If on TDIU I don't think that means you can go back to work.  If you are over the age of 65 I think VA stops looking at you regarding TDIU .  I would be real sure about that however.  If you were able to get 100% you could work all you want.

Each year, Social Security sends VA a form on how much you earned.  

The term is "unable to maintain substantial gainful employment".  Now, SGE is defined as earning the poverty level in 12 months.  

Therefore, if you earn under the poverty level in a year, you do not have SGE.  Here are the poverty levels.  Make sure you stay under those:

(They are based on number of dependents in household):

As you can see the poverty level for a single vet, no kids is 13k in a year, and about 18k if you have a spouse or dependents.  Stay below those numbers, and you dont have SGE.  

https://www.va.gov/pension/veterans-pension-rates/

This is why VA wants you to send the form in each year.  

Yeah, with Doordash,  if I don't want to do anything, I just don't hit the button, so it's on my own time, I control how much I do or dont do.  So I think that might qualify as protected.  I do see a doc on the economy who really just proscribes the meds I need.  As for SSDI I did apply but got denied a few times because I wasn't disabled enough by their standards.

Other than that, the tdiu is P&T without further examinations, for what that means.  I'm just looking to make a few hundred dollars a month, not like a full time income or anything