VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hi All, 

Have a couple of questions regarding chapter 35 benefits for my spouse.  I as awarded P&T Disability by the VA back in May of 2021 due to Unemployability.  My wife had already been in Nursing school for approximately 1 year.  So she chose the date to start her eligibility to begin when she started school. No problem, the VA reimbursed her for the monthly payment that she was due from when she began class, approximately $1,200.00 for each month for about 12 months.

My question is does VA only pay this $1,200.00 per month or do they also pay for tuition costs?  I have read online that they do also pay the tuition and read different posts that say VA does NOT pay the tuition, only the $1,200.00 per month.  We have talked to two different people on the phone at the VA, one says they do also pay the tuition, and another person we spoke to said they do not pay the tuition in addition to the monthly payment.  Confused to say the least.

My wife transferred to another nursing program here in Florida the first of May this year, she filled out all the paperwork at the financial aid department and gave them her certificate of eligibility from the VA.  We are not sure if the VA has paid them or not, she logged onto her account at school this morning and it shows a "zero" balance due, keep in mind she had been attending classes for three months and we have not paid the school anything.  This leads me to believe that VA is paying it or will pay it, I cannot imagine the school letting her attend for the last 3 months without receiving some type of payment.

Anyone that can clarify this for me I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a former Chapter 35er and VA paid for about 1/2 of my degree.Only 1/2 because I started the degree long ago when I didnt even know my 10% SC P & T huband.

https://www.va.gov/education/survivor-dependent-benefits/

It appear to me that their MOS regarding Chap 35 has not changed.

I had to pay my tuition first, and then tie in with the AMU veteran's liason rep( I was their first Chapter 35 civilian graduate,)and the liason person would check my online school account, see that I had paid the tuition, and then she transferred that info to the VA.

The VA would reimburse me-sometimes fairly fast, but there was one glitch- not bad during the 4 years I attended AMU.

The above Chap 35 link says this:

"Benefit payment:
We pay the monthly amount directly to the student. The current monthly payment for full-time training is $1,265."

But in the case of your wife, it seems odd to me that they didnt pay her directly for the course they say their is no amount due for......

You said:

"This leads me to believe that VA is paying it or will pay it, I cannot imagine the school letting her attend for the last 3 months without receiving some type of payment."

I agree. Perhaps she should call or email their Veteran's liason person or their Financial aid Department.

The text book grants are GREAT! VA never gave me a book grant but the USMC did.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use