Hi All, 

Have a couple of questions regarding chapter 35 benefits for my spouse.  I as awarded P&T Disability by the VA back in May of 2021 due to Unemployability.  My wife had already been in Nursing school for approximately 1 year.  So she chose the date to start her eligibility to begin when she started school. No problem, the VA reimbursed her for the monthly payment that she was due from when she began class, approximately $1,200.00 for each month for about 12 months.

My question is does VA only pay this $1,200.00 per month or do they also pay for tuition costs?  I have read online that they do also pay the tuition and read different posts that say VA does NOT pay the tuition, only the $1,200.00 per month.  We have talked to two different people on the phone at the VA, one says they do also pay the tuition, and another person we spoke to said they do not pay the tuition in addition to the monthly payment.  Confused to say the least.

My wife transferred to another nursing program here in Florida the first of May this year, she filled out all the paperwork at the financial aid department and gave them her certificate of eligibility from the VA.  We are not sure if the VA has paid them or not, she logged onto her account at school this morning and it shows a "zero" balance due, keep in mind she had been attending classes for three months and we have not paid the school anything.  This leads me to believe that VA is paying it or will pay it, I cannot imagine the school letting her attend for the last 3 months without receiving some type of payment.

Anyone that can clarify this for me I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I am a former Chapter 35er and VA paid for about 1/2 of my degree.Only 1/2 because I started the degree long ago when I didnt even know my 10% SC P & T huband.

https://www.va.gov/education/survivor-dependent-benefits/

It appear to me that their MOS regarding Chap 35 has not changed.

I had to pay my tuition first, and then tie in with the AMU veteran's liason rep( I was their first Chapter 35 civilian graduate,)and the liason person would check my online school account, see that I had paid the tuition, and then she transferred that info to the VA.

The VA would reimburse me-sometimes fairly fast, but there was one glitch- not bad during the 4 years I attended AMU.

The above Chap 35 link says this:

"Benefit payment:
We pay the monthly amount directly to the student. The current monthly payment for full-time training is $1,265."

But in the case of your wife, it seems odd to me that they didnt pay her directly for the course they say their is no amount due for......

You said:

"This leads me to believe that VA is paying it or will pay it, I cannot imagine the school letting her attend for the last 3 months without receiving some type of payment."

I agree. Perhaps she should call or email their Veteran's liason person or their Financial aid Department.

The text book grants are GREAT! VA never gave me a book grant but the USMC did.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By 10thFO
      I've been TDIU, since 2004, and last year, I knew my son was coming up near college time, so I pursued filing for an increase, and to ask for P&T.  It's been a long haul, and I put it off for awhile, because, well, went through a divorce, and I helped some vets at a Vet center, and in the end, I remembered the stress of fighting with the VA, but I knew that I had to do this for my son.  The state representative tried to persuade me not to push in case I got reduced.  Told him I wasn't worried about it, as my health had gotten a lot worse.  Well as soon as he digs in, he thinks I have a CUE claim, which I think we will still have to fight.  I did get an 80% rating on the claim that they denied before as it got worse and now I have a loss of use for my left foot.  So I got a letter, that I'm now 100% and it is P&T.  Whew, I've been overwhelmed for the last week.  Now I still have a question or two.  One, my son is 16, and now eligible to be on CHAMPVA, he's been on his mother's insurance as all I had was VA before, and her insurance isn't that great since it's in a small company.  Is it possible to drop his insurance or will they make her keep it even after he gets approved for the ChampVa, I know that he's eligible for it as well as the education benefits, but his current insurance is really crappy.  Any advice or answers?  Also, not as worried about this, I'm not dead, but am P&T now due to SC.  Wife got remarried, and is now divorced again, younger than 55, is she eligible now for insurance as well as a former spouse?  The rules seem to conflict with the wording, so thought I'd ask here, cause I really don't want to ask my Service Officer, because I can foresee him blowing it off and tellilng me to be happy.  I told my ex wife I would ask, and if she was eligible I had no problem with it, but I needed to ask some people that actually knew the answer.  Anyway, I'm very grateful that I finally got what I felt I deserved for a long time.  Hope everyone is doing well.  The burden  has finally been lifted.  Woohoo.  

• By JaeT.21
      Two of my kids are already using Chapter 35 for college, so I know that I lost the extra disability compensation for the kids out of my disability payments. 
      My question is if my wife uses the Chapter 35 for college, does that mean my disability payment will decrease as well? If so, how much?
    • By USMC_VET
      I was recently given 100% P&T and started filling out the Chapter 35 benefits for my wife as she has wished to continue her education, however i noticed that it says "If you are over the age of 18 once you receive either the DEA or FRY SCHOLARSHIP benefits, you will no longer receive payments of Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) or Pension and you may no longer be claimed as a dependent in a Compensation claim. If you are under the age of 18, on your 18th birthday you will lose eligibility for DIC or Pension payments and you will no longer be claimed as a dependent in a Compensation claim. CAREFULLY READ THE INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS ON PAGE 6, ITEM 22 BEFORE COMPLETING THE ELECTION BOX BELOW. YOU ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO DISCUSS YOUR ELECTION WITH A VA COUNSELOR." 
      I am not familiar with this, so does this mean IF she was a surving spouse she wouldnt get DIC payments while she was on Chapter 35 or does this mean if she uses Chapter 35 now she wont get DIC payments if i passed in 10,15,30 years and made her eligible for the 50% of my Disability payment as a surviving spouse?
    • By Bigkevo44
      This past Friday I received a decision from Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office regarding a NOD that I had filed nearly two years ago. In October of 2016, I was awarded benefits at 70% retroactively from 2010. About 4 months prior to actually being approved, I requested that I be awarded TDIU as well. After all the dust settled, I was awarded TDIU back to June of 2016. However, my original claim was from January of 2010. As a result, I sent in a NOD requesting that TDIU be retroactive back to 2010.
      I was just mailed a letter from the VA stating that "Entitlement to an earlier effective date for the grant of Individual Unemployability was granted because the evidence shows you last gainfully worked on March 2, 2015... We have assigned an effective date of March 3, 2015, the day after you last worked... This decision represents a partial grant of benefits sought on appeal.
      My questions are:
      (1) Approximately how long before I receive the back pay?
      (2) Should I pursue the amount back to 2010, since the time from 2010 to March 2015, my work record is spottier than Swiss cheese and I really didn't have a consistent work record.
      (3) My son who was awarded Chapter 35 Educational benefits once I received TDIU in December of 2016, had just graduated from college (undergraduate), but was too late to have benefited from Chapter 35. But now since I have a new TDIU retro date dating back to his senior year in college, can he receive back monies for that one final year that he should have been entitled while in school? He has the award going forth, but was wondering if they'd pay him back pay for his last year of college since it now falls under my new onset (TDIU) date. How to proceed if its possible?

Thanks so much in advance for all your help in this matter.

Kevo
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 20 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 58 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

406%
    $6,103.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines