VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU for Dummies

Rate this question

Smirak

Question

I swear I looked in the pinned post, but I guess I didn't see anything, or it wasn't clear.  I am ready to file a claim for TDIU.  Currently at 90% combined with 70% of that being PTSD.  So, I meet the 70/60/40 rule since one of my ratings is greater than 60%.  Also, I have been fired from 2 jobs within the past year, and most recently, it was due to (my thoughts) my PTSD (we have filed a complaint with EEOC for that as well) because I missed too much work for doctors appointments and such.

Background out of the way now...

Is there a "How to file TDIU for Dummies" guide somewhere around here?  Last claim I filed was on ebenefits, but as I understand that has now moved to VA.gov?  I need to know where to start. I already have all my civilian medical records, I have letters from doctors/friends/family stating how it impacts my ability to work.  I do not have a vocational letter (is this needed?).  I need to put myself out there and go ahead and call me stupid, but where do I start?  

Thanks,

Kevin

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have a letter from a doctor saying you are unemployable due to PTSD?  You need a shrink to do that or the VA might overrule you with a shrink of their own.  I got TDIU 20 years ago.  I had 70% for a mental health condition.  I had two doctors who were shrinks write letters for me.  The VA still denied my claim at first saying my being unemployable was due to my own misconduct.  This was all bull but you got to watch them because they will twist the words of your doctors if they are able.

2 hours ago, john999 said:

Do you have a letter from a doctor saying you are unemployable due to PTSD?  You need a shrink to do that or the VA might overrule you with a shrink of their own.  I got TDIU 20 years ago.  I had 70% for a mental health condition.  I had two doctors who were shrinks write letters for me.  The VA still denied my claim at first saying my being unemployable was due to my own misconduct.  This was all bull but you got to watch them because they will twist the words of your doctors if they are able.

I do have letters from my MH providers…one is from my psychiatrist and the other is from my prescriber.

I just am not sure where to begin.

You start by filling out VA Form 21-8940 and VA Form 21-4192 for each employee for the last five years or so as many as it asks, forgot how far it goes back. Make sure you keep a complete copy of everything you send the VA. I recently had to upload a form for the VA, and they called me and informed me that they lost my form, and it was not in the system, so they were closing/denying my claim and for me to start all over with a new claim. You can also have a cover letter that list all the documents that you are attaching. Make sure your name, SSN, claim number (if different) and date is on each page. If I forgot something I am quite sure others will add or correct me, It has been a while. I would get a Thumb Drive or a Removable Drive and load these forms on it and then fill them out and keep them just in case.

VA Form 21-8940

VA Form 21-4192

• HadIt.com Elder

Good advice from Pacmanx1 especially about making sure you make a copy. Notice the VA lost his documentation but were going to deny his claim because the VA lost the paperwork.( How does that work, anyway? ) I even make copies of my health records posings and secure messages. They are "retired" after a while and it can save you some time later on trying to retrieve it. I don't care where you find something that is important, if it's important, make a copy.

• HadIt.com Elder

I usually take my evidence right to the local VARO and get singed copies of every thing I give them.  The VA has lost every thing I have given them at least once.  I tried to hand carry things with the VA.  Can you imagine their mail room?  These people could give a sh*t less if your claim is lost or denied.