VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Epilepsy Diagnosis

Rate this question

Coffee123

Question

Greetings,

I was diagnosed with epilepsy this year after a seizure which resulted in two broken shoulders. I have been considering filing a claim for epilepsy. While I do have a EEG confirming the epilepsy, I do not have any army medical records indicating seizures. However, I did have a partial seizure 2 months after I returned from Afghanistan in 2010. I was just unaware that I had experienced one. I thought it was something else. I am wondering if I would have an uphill battle trying to prove that I actually had a partial seizure while on Active Duty. 

My condition is now stable- and I am no longer having seizures. Thankfully. My other concern is whether the VA would attempt to come after my license via DOT due to my condition. I have cleared my ability to drive with my neurologist. He believes my condition has stabilized to the point where he believes I will never again have another seizure. 

I was rated at 10% for a TBI. I'm wondering if a secondary claim against my TBI would be more appropriate. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Coffee123 epilepsy as secondary is the way to go. You don't need to show an event in service. You must get a good IMO/nexus from a doctor to support. Diagnostic code 8910 neurological has the ratings under 38CFR 4.12(a). See where your symptoms are.Your doc has to state that the epilepsy "is at least as likely or not" caused by your s-c TBI. And then he should show studies/medical publications that support that opinion.