VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Win after 4 tries

Rate this topic

GBArmy

• HadIt.com Elder

I finally won my claim at the BVA for GERD. Took me 4 tries to finally get off the hamster wheel. Well, not exactly; I got low-balled,  so I have to do another supplemental claim. But I finally got the service connection. As we preach all the time here, I'm posting not to gloat or anything. I just want to remind veterans to share your success stories AND, if you can, make a contribution when you win so this great veteran resource can continue. Make no mistake, I couldn't have had the success I had without all the great info and support here at Hadit.

4 hours ago, GBArmy said:

I finally won my claim at the BVA for GERD. Took me 4 tries to finally get off the hamster wheel. Well, not exactly; I got low-balled,  so I have to do another supplemental claim. But I finally got the service connection. As we preach all the time here, I'm posting not to gloat or anything. I just want to remind veterans to share your success stories AND, if you can, make a contribution when you win so this great veteran resource can continue. Make no mistake, I couldn't have had the success I had without all the great info and support here at Hadit.

Congratulations!

Don’t look at it as gloating, these wins are victories that we should share and feel good about them. It seems the VA does just about everything to lie, cheat, and steal veterans’ benefits, so I say good on you for sticking in there to fight. Make sure you get your correct percentage and effective date.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know that sometimes GERD can be the cause of certain cancers.  Getting GERD service connected may seem like a small deal because I guess you get 10% or something like than, but if you got throat cancer it would be a real big deal.  Not to wish this on you but all these things are connected in the world of health and disease.  I got SC'ed for DMII and that lead to three other disabilities.

I was recently denied for GERD, and or HIATAL HERNIA.  I think my first contracted examiner gave it to me (she said as much), but they sent it out west for a second opinion, which denied it.  Doctor trumps NP, etc..

I won't know what happened as I have to get my c-file to see what the examiners opined.  And, they made two claims themselves right after my 100%, so I am waiting to get that resolved so my file will be complete.

GOOD JOB!.  And yes, it's usually a 10'er, but its nice to have that in your back pocket when other stuff arises.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@GBArmy Congratulations! Having also had to appeal to get SC for GERD, I can tell you that I also had to appeal a lowball rating. The way they rate it is pretty open to interpretation. I had to spoon feed the VA and show them I had part of the symptoms noted during one doctors visit and the other parts during another visit, then both in a later visit. 

I also feel that the rating criteria for GERD is significantly lower than the impact it can have on you. The meds help make it somewhat manageable, but come with their own side effects. Plus, if you accidentally miss your morning dose, it can be very debilitating when the lava begins to rise.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use