Need a 60% rating to qualify for SMC-S

deedub75

Question

Hello all,

I've been trying to figure out a way to a rating increased to 60% so I can receive SMC-S. I'm already rated 100% P&T, hence the need for one disability to be rated at 60%. I've been looking through my ratings and I think my best bet is to try to get my 30% rating for insomnia disorder with bruxism increased to 70%. Of course, my insomnia has worsened a lot since I received a 30% rating for it in 2014 and I have extensive medical records showing how bad it's gotten. I even take Provigil now for excessive daytime sleepiness. I know there is not a specific rating criteria for insomnia so the VA rates it analogous to mental disorders. I have also been diagnosed with anxiety and major depressive disorders as well and tried and failed on many antidepressants. I'm not service connected for this but I could probably I could probably get this on a secondary basis. 

I'm looking for advice on the best way to attack this. Should I just ask for an increase in my in my insomnia rating? Should I try to get service connected for anxiety and major depressive disorder? Should I apply for both and just let the VA combine them? 

Any thoughts?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry guys. I misinterpreted the SMC-S qualifications. I would need to get my insomnia disorder increased to 100% which would be very difficult! I should have known this since I’ve claimed temporary 100% multiple times for all of the foot an ankle surgeries I’ve had and was approved for SMC-S each time, albeit on a temporary basis. I just had another foot surgery this past June and I’m getting my paperwork together to file temporary 100% again.