VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Current Status Error?

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

Just curious to if anyone has seen this before.  I filed a new claim on Sun(17Oct) and when I just logged in to check it tonight the claim said last updated on "17Oct Initial Review".  When I looked at the actual details of the claim it stated "a decision has been made....blah, blah, blah".  Nothing gives me any indication that the claim has been reviewed at this point (only in their queue for 3 days).  Do you think this update is just a glitch?  I see nothing else as far as a percentage update on my VA disabilities page, nor anything suggesting that it was actually closed or denied.

• HadIt.com Elder

It would only be speculation if we tried to figure what's going on. If you have a VSO, they can look in VBMS and see more of what's happening. You could call "Peggy" at 800-827-1000 and see if they can shed any light, but not likely.  If they sent a letter, ask the date of the letter and call back in 10 business days and get a copy emailed to you. Sorry, but that's the VA process.

Decisions aren't just a click and a percentage. They still can take time to finalize, and there are more than just 1-2 people involved. After the deciding there is double checking it, then the promulgation people (figuring up the award if there is one), then signatures- there higher the amount the more people it has to go through and they aren't all local at there RO. 

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are claiming 30 years of retro you can bet the VA is going to look at your claim inside and out regardless of what appears to be an open and shut case.  Nobody at the VA wants to sign off on $250,000 in back pay for a vet.  That is what I was asking for and it took 6 years to get to finally get to a big "NO".

Thats not true- we've had more than 10 claims this month with between 100,000 and 400,000, with 1  being 762,000 in backpay just in my RO that is a Nehmer and MST specific site. That's not great that it took this long (Nehmer/new contentions for AO) but once the claims were worked and sent to rating it was only a few weeks for them to get signed and promulgated to finance. They get signed like anything else. The appropriations from where the disability awards come from is not the same as the operational budget that we have to wheedle for every year before Congress. Its just signing another piece of paper/PDF. How much is paid out is not any part of our review or performance as employees. 

11 hours ago, john999 said:

If you are claiming 30 years of retro you can bet the VA is going to look at your claim inside and out regardless of what appears to be an open and shut case.  Nobody at the VA wants to sign off on $250,000 in back pay for a vet.  That is what I was asking for and it took 6 years to get to finally get to a big "NO".

It happens more than you could think, and the VA does not post this information.

I've been through the process a couple of times but I do find this one odd.  I filed a claim on Sunday,  two days later a "decision" was made according to the status on the claims and appeals page. Now today I log in and my claim isn't even listed at all.  I have old ones that are showing as closed but the one from Sunday is totally gone.  It hasn't been combined with any others because I didn't have any other claims pending.   Never seen this before.