VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Direct express(direct deposit question)

BentArrow

Recently, last week approved 70% SC VA, and I'm grateful with 9 months retro but I had backpay returned to VA as "Undeliverable - Bad Address (1) I use the direct express card as is all have for banking and direct deposit and there is no acc # or Routing # which is required when using "My VA.gov" portal. It will not let you proceed without this info so I assumed acc # was my card # and tried contacting VA 1-800-827-1000 and Direct Express and Treasury Dept no help? My backpay sitting guess at VA so it says on ebenefits mine. I am homeless vehicle been in shop 2 months temperatures dropping some can't go shelter just now or my things get stolen etc even asked VA mail to me but ? This is only numbers get contact with VA and sorry do best they can I guess but young folks at VA answering 800 # just reading off a card no help. I tested to point I well trying stay as positive and focused as can but I thank all if have any way contact VA real person plus did away w/iris web portal replaced with ask VA one I can't get it to work. Thanking all fellow veterans any help also thAnks for allowing me to join your web site. Future I will limit my responses questions etc to allow space/time for all vets, god bless all be SAFE.

Direct deposit for your VA benefit payments

Learn about getting your VA benefit payments through direct deposit. If you don’t already have a bank account, the Veterans Benefits Banking Program (VBBP) can connect you with a bank that will work with you to set up an account. If you already have one, find out how to change your direct deposit information.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/docs/veterans-benefits-banking-program-faq.pdf

Good luck,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

"Direct Express" is basically a centralized way to transfer money, probably inferior to crypto currency. (In other words Bitcoin).  Think of direct express as the name of a bank, such as First National Bank.  https://militarybenefits.info/direct-express-card/

Right now, the government does not accept Bitcoin, but, since Bitcoin has a market cap of 1200 billion (1.2 trillion) which is MORE than any bank, I predict the time is coming.  

ONE reason direct express is  inferior to bitcoin:  The government, (IRS), can garnish your bank account, with ease,  such as if you owe taxes, or child support.  But they can not garnish bitcoin.  Its possible they can confiscate your bitcoin, (and sell it), but the government rarely confiscates bitcoin unless you have committed some major fraud, such as bought and sold drugs with your bitcoin, or used it for terrorism.  

Its a huge problem for the government to even "find" your bitcoin, especially if you take steps to hide it.  This is not so with any (American) bank account.  For example, you could store the (electronic) keys to get your bitcoin on a jump drive buried in Canada.  

• Founder

I used direct express for a couple of years, but after i got my retro pay this year. I had $3000 in fraudulent charges and filed a claim. they denied it many of the charges were for pizza delivery in the UK. I do not trust them and would not recommend them. That $3000 really put me behind, a week after that happened, the va sent a letter that they didn't pay my rep so i owe them $2000 so this year everything has been a struggle.

Direct Express "gets away" with things like "not making the card zero fraud liability", such as Chase, then refusing to remove fraud charges,  because they can.  Direct express is mostly for the poor people who cant get a bank account, sometimes for past checks/banking issues.  If you write a bad check, even if your balance was only 1 dollar short, that is reported to companies which banks check before they open you an account.  (One company was called Chextra, but Im not sure if its still called that). 

People with very low money cant afford a lawyer to sue Direct Express, they know it and take advantage of you.  If a rich person gets hornswaggled by a bank, they can sue them.  Worse, Banks dont want a bad reputation by rich people.  

For example, Chase has a division called "Private Client".  That means you have MONEY..I dont think you can become a private client unless you are a millionaire.  

(I went in to a chase private client and asked them, some years ago).  You are treated like Royalty if you are a private client.  

If you have big money at a bank, you dont pay for anything.  They automatically cover bounced checks, take off bad credit card charges, give you free stuff like free safe deposit boxes, free checks, no charge for checking, etc. etc.  They even used to give away stuff like toasters if you deposited a large amount.  

It does not seem fair.  Rich people, who dont need the money, get everything free.  Poor people pay all kinds of fees.  No, its not fair.  But, its one of the many perks of being rich.  No, Im not rich but know people who are.  

BUT:  You may be able to contact "legal aid" to help you.  Legal aid is for poor people.