Retro pay after TDIU?

allansc2005

Question

Afternoon folks, hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Back in January, 2017 I was awarded TDIU P&T, got all the back pay, goodies such as no taxes on vehicles, dwelling...

In December of 2019, I filed a secondary claim of overactive bladder-OAB in connection with spinal issues for which I was already awarded SC, and was denied.

I asked for a higher level review due to the denial, was granted the review, was sent to a C&P exam for that same OAB claim, and got a call yesterday from the C&P doctor telling me he concurs that my OAB "is connected to my SC spinal conditions", and that he would tell the VA the same thing on the DBQ.

So, my question is: Will there be any back pay from the time I was denied SC for the OAB back in December, 2019?  FYI, I'm 90% Scheduler.

Thanks

Allan 2-2-0 HOOAH!

@brokensoldier244th,

I'm TDIU and my scheduler is 90%.

In going over the Urinary Rating System which is 20-40-60 percentages, and considering the questions the C&P doctor asked me, it looks like 40% will be my award.

Allan 2-2-0 HOOAH!

16 hours ago, allansc2005 said:

Afternoon folks, hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Back in January, 2017 I was awarded TDIU P&T, got all the back pay, goodies such as no taxes on vehicles, dwelling...

In December of 2019, I filed a secondary claim of overactive bladder-OAB in connection with spinal issues for which I was already awarded SC, and was denied.

I asked for a higher level review due to the denial, was granted the review, was sent to a C&P exam for that same OAB claim, and got a call yesterday from the C&P doctor telling me he concurs that my OAB "is connected to my SC spinal conditions", and that he would tell the VA the same thing on the DBQ.

So, my question is: Will there be any back pay from the time I was denied SC for the OAB back in December, 2019?  FYI, I'm 90% Scheduler.

Thanks

Allan 2-2-0 HOOAH!

Unless something unusual happens, you will not likely get any retro. Reason being is that the VA has already been paying you at the 100% TDIU compensation rate since January 2017, even if your rating is increased to the 100% scheduler rating that would only balance your payment to equal the same 100% compensation rate. Now if for some unusual reason that you meet the SMC criteria it is possible, but many would say that it is way too early and pure speculation(GUESSING) because we do not know what you are service connected for and what is in your records. 

Edited by pacmanx1

@pacmanx1,

I kind of figured your assessment is correct.

Using the VA's "math", the 40% I mentioned above will get me to 100% scheduler from the C&P exam.

Now pacmanx1, how can I find out what conditions the VA used to get to my TDIU?

Allan 2-2-0 HOOAH! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By MarineJohn
      Hello,

My name is John, I served in the Marine Corps from 90-94 and I am getting ready to start my process with the VA. I have a good job with insurance benefits but have some issues.
      I have been dealing with stomach issues (?), I have pain on my left side that keeps me from sleeping, my spleen is enlarged 3 times its normal size and liver is not working properly. I have been seeing Gastroenterologist and a Oncologist for this but they have no answers. I am hopping maybe seeing a VA Dr will help. I also have Urinary Incontinence; I have been incontinent for the last 9 years. My Dr prescribes catheters but they hurt like hell and our insurance wont pay for my diapers. My last issue is hearing loss; I have constant ringing in both ears and have been told that I have noted hearing loss in both.

Hope I can get some assistance through them.

Stay safe,
      John
    • By Armyfor9
      Hi,
      I am hoping someone with a lot more knowledge than me can figure out if I am misinterpreting the rating descriptions or if someone made an error. I will copy and post from what I read at the end of this. I will omit just one section that is irrelevant.(actually I will include it, just in a small font. I have highlighted the areas I feel are important.
       I have cystitis with recurrent UTI's causing constant (pain, discomfort, urgency) 
      I also have incontinence (aka voiding dysfunction)
      My claim I stated bladder urinary problem. I wasn't sure how to state it. Clear medical evidence and documents provided to be approved service connection at 40%. My question is that I felt it should be 2 separate ratings. #1 Chronic Cystitis causing frequency meeting 40% AND
      #2 Voiding Dysfunction meeting requirements for 60% (Or at minimum 1 rating at the higher of the 2 at 60%.

I'm curious as to your take on my rating for the "Urinary System"    Facts: I have a diagnosis of Cystitis 7512(Interstitial Cystitis) which causes pain, frequent urination, urgency, etc.  also I have recurring and frequent UTI's  I also have  Urinary incontinence 7542(which is not technically a symptom of cystitis, I suppose unless due to urgency, which is different than mine.)   On my claim I claimed "Bladder Condition" Note I was rated at 40% My question is looking at this couldn't I have two ratings? One for the Cystitis at 40% under frequency and also one for Voiding dysfunction at 60%. If not at least rating at the higher 60%????? What do you think? Please let me know if I'm mistaken or if I should submit in hopes of correcting and by what method. Thank You  

Urinary Rating Systems

There are three different urinary rating systems.

Urinary Frequency: A condition is rated under this system if it causes the body to urinate more often than normal. If you have to urinate 5 or more times during the night, or if you have to urinate more than every hour during the day, it is rated 40%. If you have to urinate 3 or 4 times during the night, or if you have to urinate every 1 to 2 hours during the day, it is rated 20%. If you have to urinate 2 times during the night, or if you have to urinate every 2 to 3 hours during the day, it is rated 10%.

Obstructed Voiding: A condition is rated under this system if there is something in the way that makes it hard to urinate, like a kidney stone. If the condition makes it so you cannot urinate at all and must always use a catheter, then it is rated 30%.
      If there are obvious symptoms (slow or weak stream, hesitancy to start urinating, etc.) and if there is one or more of the following: 1) more than 150 cc (cubic centimeters) of urine left over in your bladder after you urinate, 2) less than 10 cc of urine per second are passed through the ureter, 3) there are regular urinary tract infections because of the obstruction, or 4) the urethra becomes narrow because of an infection and requires regular dilatation (stretching) treatments every 2 to 3 months—then it is rated 10%.
      If there are only obvious symptoms (slow or weak stream, hesitancy to start urinating, etc.) but none of the other 4 conditions listed above, then it is rated 0%. This 0% rating is still given even if there is narrowing of the urethra that requires regular dilatation (stretching) treatments only once or twice a year.
        Voiding Dysfunction: All urinary conditions that cannot be rated as urinary frequency or obstructed voiding are rated by this system. If the condition requires the use of a catheter to remove urine from the bladder, or if the condition requires the use of absorbent materials (like pads or Depends) that must be changed more than 4 times a day, then it is rated 60%. If it requires absorbent materials that must be changed 2 to 4 times a day, then it is rated 40%. If it requires absorbent materials that must be changed only once a day, then it is rated 20%       Code 7512: Chronic Cystitis is the swelling of the bladder most often due to infections, but it can be caused by other things as well. If it is caused by a urinary tract infection, then it is rated as described for that condition. All other causes of this condition are rated under this code.   Code 7542:A Neurogenic Bladder occurs when a person looses control over urination because of damage to the nerves or the brain.  
    • By junction30
      deleted, no help from forum, I will askk for help elsewhere

• Ads

• Our picks

• Burn Pit Claim Assistance
      The NVLSP launched its Burn Claim Assistance program:  Details at the NVLSP website:

https://www.nvlsp.org/what-we-do/burn-pits-claims-assistance-program/
      • 0 replies
    • I have a C&P exam scheduled for next week for sleep apnea. I completed an at home sleep study sent by VES. However, I just visited ebenefits and noticed that my claim has been closed before my scheduled exam. Anyone ever experience this?
      • 11 replies
    • I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 20 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 58 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

444%
    $6,673.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines