Cavc remand

Mr cue

Question

Man I am really sit here try to figure this one out.

Ok here is the cavc remand.

Upon consideration of the foregoing, the portion of the January 30, 2020, Board decision 
finding that Mr. October 2018 NOD did not encompass that portion of the July 5, 2018, 
rating decision granting a 70% evaluation, but no higher, for a psychiatric disorder is REVERSED
and the matter is REMANDED for further adjudication; the portions of the January 30, 2020, 
Board decision denying an effective date before May 9, 2018, for the grant of SMC and entitlement 
to SMC in excess of the housebound rate, from May 9 to July 17, 2018, and at the aid-and-
attendance rate from that point are SET ASIDE and the matters are REMANDED for further 
development, if necessary, and readjudication consistent with this decision; and the balance of the 
appeal is DISMISSED.
DATED: January 29, 2021

Ok now the board change the cavc order and granted the same effective dates set a side by the court.

An remand them To be granted in the first instance.

So the board volate the court order.

The cavc set them a side an told the board to address early period.

So now the droc DC just used the nod that was send to me to continue my appeal.

An remove the issue from the cavc remand docket which is to be expidate and return to the board.

An now it's in the new appeal system I never check the box to opt in. Smh.

An now been treated as a new appeal with a docket of 2021. In the new appeal system

This is part of my petition for extraordinary relief.

The Board response to the court.

They it ok to change my docket. Lol that was it.

Told the court that the board found that they need to be granted in the first instance.

So now I guess the board doesn't have to follow cavc remand order now. Smh

It's been with judge almost 7 weeks.

And it with the chief judge the same judge who did my case an set it a side.

And the judge was part of the grove cavc decision.

I even ask the court to sanction the veterans affairs for this.

I can't let this go because I didn't fight all the way to court.

To fight the same effective dates over again. 

Lol I am venting again.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

You posted:

Ok now the board change the cavc order and granted the same effective dates set a side by the court.

No.  A remand can result in at least 2 different results:

1.  Additional benefits CAN (but not must) be granted. OR

2.  No additional benefits are granted as a result of the remand.  

This includes effective dates.  A remand to the Board, from the CAVC, even involving effective dates, does not mean more retro.  It means it goes back to the board "to determine if" an earlier effective date is warranted.  

The board is required to grant an earlier effective date, OR deny same AND give a reasons and bases for their determination.  A remand is not the same as an award or grant.  A remand gives the board discretion on what to do.  

The board must "address" the remand, but that does not mean grant an eed.  The board decides, and is given that authority by the court.  

If you dispute the board's remand implementation, you can appeal it to the CAVC if desired.  

Lawyers often appeal to the CAVC if the board did not give an adequate "reasons and bases" for decision.  

Its pretty much automatic remand from cavc if the board does NOT give a reasons and bases for what they decided.  

Welcome to the hamster wheel of remands, I finally got off the hamster wheel about 2 years ago.  

How did I get off the hamster wheel?  Simple.  I got a Voc rehab assessment (IMO) that was favorable.  My  attorney advised same, I complied and won.  

You see, while this wont likely be mentioned, the courts are bound to res judicata:

Generally, res judicata is the principle that a cause of action may not be relitigated once it has been judged on the merits. "Finality" is the term which refers to when a court renders a final judgment on the merits.

Res judicata is also frequently referred to as "claim preclusion," and the two are used interchangeably throughout this article. 

Breaking Down the Concept

Claim preclusion can be best understood by breaking it down into two sub-categories:

1. Bar - a losing plaintiff cannot re-sue a winning defendant on the same cause of action
    1. example: Plaintiff P sues Defendant D on Cause of Action C, but P loses. P may not try for better luck by initiating a new lawsuit against D on C.
  2. Merger - a winning plaintiff cannot re-sue a losing defendant on the same cause of action
    1. example: Plaintiff P successfully sues Defendant D on Cause of Action C. P may not again sue D on C to try to recover more damages.    

What "res judicata means" to you, is that you can essentially tell the judge "they did not know about THIS evidence when they judged it the last time".  Then submit a favorable IMO.  

Otherwise, a claimant could simply keep applying until finally a very Veteran friendly judge got it and awarded.  This clogs up the courts.  Thus, the reason for res judicata.  

Edited by broncovet

I was not talking about the remand.

I am talking about the set a side order on the effective dates.

the portions of the January 30, 2020, 

Board decision denying an effective date before May 9, 2018, for the grant of SMC and entitlement 

to SMC in excess of the housebound rate, from May 9 to July 17, 2018, and at the aid-and-

attendance rate from that point are SET ASIDE and the matters are REMANDED.

I stated the board remand it to be granted in the first instance.

The same effective dates the court set a side.

This is volating a court order.

You posted:

Ok here is the cavc remand.

Then you seem suprised that I spoke of the CAVC remand.   

You also posted:

I am talking about the set a side order on the effective dates.

the portions of the January 30, 2020, 

attendance rate from that point are SET ASIDE and the matters are REMANDED.

It sounds like you are interpreting "set aside" to mean "granted".  

No.  The judge would use the term "granted" if granted.  But they used "set aside and remanded" instead.  

"Set aside and remanded" means, well, what it says it means.  It does not mean effective dates are granted.  It means, instead, that your (applicable) claims are remanded.  The "set aside" portion has to do with finality.  A claim becomes "final" if the Veteran does not appeal within the applicable time period, and the "set aside" means that the claim continues (set aside) and does NOT become final UNTIL the Board re adjuticates the claim per the remand order.  

Here is my point again

The court set a side the effective dates granted by the bva.

Which means address a different time period. Not the same period

The board remand it to the ro to granted the same effective dates which the court set a side.

Which means the board volate the court order.

By granting the same effective dates I appeal to the court.

If the court set something a side.

It means not to address that period on remand get it

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By Mr cue
      Ok so I go to to a look an see if my cavc remand for smc o and r had been return to the board.
      And I find this for my effective dates for smc s and l. Smh.
      They change one month smc s to s smc l award.
      I look and it a 370.00 retro check now I might be wrong but the difference between smc s and l in 2018 was not 370. Smh.
      Than I see this. Ok how do u ask for a supplement review on a cavc remand.
      They are just doing anything to not say they mess up processing a cavc remand. Now I got beef to get this decision.
      Shit I aint even got the ssoc that was done nov14 in the mail yet.

The Veterans Benefits Administration corrected an error
      On November 23, 2021, a judge at the Board of Veterans’ Appeals made a decision that changes your disability rating or eligibility for benefits. On November 29, 2021, the Veterans Benefits Administration sent you a new decision that updates your benefits.
      If you disagree with either the Board decision or the Veterans Benefits Administration decision, you can request another review. The review options available to you depend on which decision you disagree with.
      This appeal is now closed What if I disagree with the November 23, 2021 decision?
      If you disagree with VA’s decision, you can choose one of the following review options to continue your case:
      Add new and relevant evidence
      A reviewer will determine whether the new evidence changes the decision. This option is called a Supplemental Claim. Available until November 23, 2022.
      Appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
      The court will review the Board’s decision. You can hire an attorney to represent you, or you may represent yourself. Available until March 23, 2022.
      Not available for this decision
      Ask for a new look from a senior reviewer (Higher-Level Review) Appeal to a Veterans Law Judge (Board Appeal) Your decision has information on additional ways you and/or your representative can address errors.
      Learn more about your decision review options.
      What if I disagree with the November 29, 2021 decision?
      If you disagree with VA’s decision, you can choose one of the following review options to continue your case:
      Add new and relevant evidence
      A reviewer will determine whether the new evidence changes the decision. This option is called a Supplemental Claim. Available until November 29, 2022.
      Appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
      The court will review the Board’s decision. You can hire an attorney to represent you, or you may represent yourself. Available until March 29, 2022.
      Not available for this decision
      Ask for a new look from a senior reviewer (Higher-Level Review) Appeal to a Veterans Law Judge (Board Appeal) Your decision has information on additional ways you and/or your representative can address errors.

• By Mr cue
      Ok so I need a few opinions on this.
      38 CFR § 3.340 - Total and permanent total ratings and unemployability § 3.340 Total and permanent total ratings and unemployability. (a) Total disability ratings -
      (1) General. Total disability will be considered to exist when there is present any impairment of mind or body which is sufficient to render it impossible for the average person to follow a substantially gainful occupation. Total disability may or may not be permanent. Total ratings will not be assigned, generally, for temporary exacerbations or acute infectious diseases except where specifically prescribed by the schedule.
      (2) Schedule for rating disabilities. Total ratings are authorized for any disability or combination of disabilities for which the Schedule for Rating Disabilities prescribes a 100 percent evaluation or, with less disability, where the requirements of paragraph 16, page 5 of the rating schedule are present or where, in pension cases, the requirements of paragraph 17, page 5 of the schedule are met.
      (3) Ratings of total disability on history. In the case of disabilities which have undergone some recent improvement, a rating of total disability may be made, provided:
      (i) That the disability must in the past have been of sufficient severity to warrant a total disability rating;
      (ii) That it must have required extended, continuous, or intermittent hospitalization, or have produced total industrial incapacity for at least 1 year, or be subject to recurring, severe, frequent, or prolonged exacerbations; and
      (iii) That it must be the opinion of the rating agency that despite the recent improvement of the physical condition, the veteran will be unable to effect an adjustment into a substantially gainful occupation. Due consideration will be given to the frequency and duration of totally incapacitating exacerbations since incurrence of the original disease or injury, and to periods of hospitalization for treatment in determining whether the average person could have reestablished himself or herself in a substantially gainful occupation.
      (b) Permanent total disability. Permanence of total disability will be taken to exist when such impairment is reasonably certain to continue throughout the life of the disabled person. The permanent loss or loss of use of both hands, or of both feet, or of one hand and one foot, or of the sight of both eyes, or becoming permanently helpless or bedridden constitutes permanent total disability. Diseases and injuries of long standing which are actually totally incapacitating will be regarded as permanently and totally disabling when the probability of permanent improvement under treatment is remote. Permanent total disability ratings may not be granted as a result of any incapacity from acute infectious disease, accident, or injury, unless there is present one of the recognized combinations or permanent loss of use of extremities or sight, or the person is in the strict sense permanently helpless or bedridden, or when it is reasonably certain that a subsidence of the acute or temporary symptoms will be followed by irreducible totality of disability by way of residuals. The age of the disabled person may be considered in determining permanence.
       Ok here my thing part b.
      To get a PT rating u must have one of these conditions.
      Loss of use hand etc.
      So if veterans get a PT rating they should be getting loss of use under smc benfits by this
      Now in my case they keep make me apply for loss of use. When I been out over Pt 26 years.
      Am I reading this wrong.

• By Mr cue
      Ok here it is and I can't believe this
      Ok let start with do u see that nothing is address before 2018.
      We understand smc Is effective by the record and granted by the record.
      Ok. The court set a side the effective dates an explain to the va to address early time period.
      Not done because they change the court remand order to granted effective dates in first instance.
      So now I am back at the court to appeal the same effective dates the court set a side.
      Ok. I apply for smc s under Howell v Nicholson.
      It is never address I even got denied because I can travel medical appointments.
      The same reason Howell was denied smh.
      Last I had a judge remand the cavc.
      That a different judge remand it again.
      Than a different judge just made the decision.
      All in six months I guess the judge who was handling the remand st first retire than the one who remand again retir.
      Because this is the only way you have 3 different judges on a cavc remand.
      Ain't no 2 bva judge's retire In.6 months of handling my cavc remand.
      Here the decision I will.ein st the court just made.they are playing all these games.

• By Mr cue
      Ok so just now the va put in there response to the court on my petition.
      And just like I thought they are saying they made decision on my appeals once again.
      Never addressing the change of my docket numbers. Which the court order them to address.
      Here is the insert from the decision if you notice it doesn't state this is a remand from the cavc. 

This matter comes before the Board of Veterans’ Appeals (Board) on appeal from a May 2021 rating decision of a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Regional Office (RO).  That rating decision effectuated a January 2020 Board decision that granted entitlement to special monthly compensation based on housebound criteria and aid and attendance criteria being met and assigned the respective effective dates.  
      On his VA Form 10182, the Veteran elected the Direct Review docket.  Therefore, the Board may only consider the evidence of record at the time of the May 2021 rating decision on appeal.  38 C.F.R. § 20.301.  Effective Date of Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) The Veteran contends that he is entitled to special monthly compensation prior to May 9, 2018.  In this case, effective May 9, 2018, the Veteran was awarded SMC under 38 U.S.C. § 1114, subsection (s) based on statutory housebound requirements being satisfied.  Effective July 17, 2018, the Veteran was awarded SMC on the basis of aid and attendance under 38 U.S.C. § 1114, subsection (l). 

well I am just get ready to appeal to the court again because I believe the court is about to let this all stand.
      and dismiss my petition in the next week or two.
      think I might start the appeal to the court Friday I am try to wait on the last decision but the way I see it I will not get it until the 120 days to appeal these decision is almost over. 
      smh
      this make no sense.

• By Mr cue
      Man so I am looking at the granted for the 70% for adjustment disorder.
      I forgot I use my service records to reopen this.
      Is the effective date the date of the services records.
      It was denied in 2001.
      But my case go back to 1993 service because the va never cretifed my appeal to the board back then.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Burn Pit Claim Assistance
      The NVLSP launched its Burn Claim Assistance program:  Details at the NVLSP website:

https://www.nvlsp.org/what-we-do/burn-pits-claims-assistance-program/
      • 0 replies
    • I have a C&P exam scheduled for next week for sleep apnea. I completed an at home sleep study sent by VES. However, I just visited ebenefits and noticed that my claim has been closed before my scheduled exam. Anyone ever experience this?
        • Confused
      • 11 replies
    • I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 20 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 58 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

444%
    $6,673.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines