VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

0% for CFS

Rate this question

Lavish

Question

From e-benefits and speaking with an American Legion rep, it looks like the VBA has rated me 0% SC for CFS effective 2015.  I thought the ratings for CFS had to be 10, 20, 40, 60, or 100.  As of 2015, I am rated 50% for MDD w/ anxiety, and 40% for Fibro.   As of 2020, I am 100% for MDD w/ anxiety.   They are trying to screw me out of back pay and SMC.   

I did a C&P exam in August for CFS and Gulf War Illness.  I was hoping they would rate me for all of the many other issues that I have since the examiner did DBQs on them, but definitely the headaches, which I was denied for back in May.

I have so many issues that have been documented by the VA.  How can they rate me at 0% for CFS and nothing for GWI?   I know they are trying to lump the fatigue in with the Fibro and MDD, but there are a WHOLE lot of other issues related to CFS that isn't included in the MDD and Fibro award.  I didn't think I would need to file a supplemental again for the headaches and other issues, since the examiner did DQBs for 20 different things - I "thought" VA would list them as secondary to the CFS or something, but I guess that was wishful thinking. 

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think the 0% is a mistake, but you are rated for it.  I got 0% presumptive for IBS which I think is a mistake, but I'm rated for it.  You can contest it if you want, but it may not go your way.  I got denied for CFS due to being rated for PTSD/MDD (100%) and Fibro at 40% causing the CFS symptoms.  I had a diagnosis and a solid IME from an MD that put me in the 60% range.  They took the VA's NP opinion over My MD who's credenza is two pages long.  A small victory for the VA.  Small since it doesn't matter for me.  I have 100% P&T with smc-s.  

I have heard of only one person who got rated for PTSD, Fibro, & CFS.  My guess, he got away with it by a raters mistake since it is so rare.  Just sayin.

2 hours ago, El Train said:

I think the 0% is a mistake, but you are rated for it.  I got 0% presumptive for IBS which I think is a mistake, but I'm rated for it.  

The difference is, from what I understand, is that IBS can be rated at 0%, but CFS starts at 10%.   Maybe they meant to put in 100%...I doubt it.   I should be rated at least 40% though -easily.  

The claim isn't showing closed out yet, so maybe they are going to rate some of the other systems separately.

17 hours ago, Lavish said:

The difference is, from what I understand, is that IBS can be rated at 0%, but CFS starts at 10%.   Maybe they meant to put in 100%...I doubt it.   I should be rated at least 40% though -easily.  

The claim isn't showing closed out yet, so maybe they are going to rate some of the other systems separately.

No, all GWI presumptive should be at least 10% disabling to get it.  My decision letter actually states 'direct service', which it really isn't.  I had no complaints or treatment in service to make it direct service.  Maybe this is why I got the 0%.  However, ebennies states 'Gulf war presumptive'.  Ebennies is not always accurate however.  Maybe I'll re-read the decision letter out of curiosity.

I can tell you this, my symptoms are at the very least 10%.  I'm on constant medications for it and have developed diverticulitis because of it.  Contesting it does me no good.  I'm maxed out and I am rated for it even at 0%.  This means I can use the FMP (foreign medical program) when I spend large amounts of time out of country and get reimbursed for any treatments.

3 hours ago, El Train said:

No, all GWI presumptive should be at least 10% disabling to get it.  My decision letter actually states 'direct service', which it really isn't.  I had no complaints or treatment in service to make it direct service.  Maybe this is why I got the 0%.  However, ebennies states 'Gulf war presumptive'.  Ebennies is not always accurate however.  Maybe I'll re-read the decision letter out of curiosity.

I can tell you this, my symptoms are at the very least 10%.  I'm on constant medications for it and have developed diverticulitis because of it.  Contesting it does me no good.  I'm maxed out and I am rated for it even at 0%.  This means I can use the FMP (foreign medical program) when I spend large amounts of time out of country and get reimbursed for any treatments.

Wow, I didn't realize a 100% vet could get reimbursed for any treatment out of the county!

21 hours ago, Lavish said:

Wow, I didn't realize a 100% vet could get reimbursed for any treatment out of the county!

Ya, check it out.  Even a 0% is a service connected disability that can be covered.  I don't even think you need to be 100% to qualify.

https://www.va.gov/communitycare/programs/veterans/fmp/index.asp

I think that CFS can be rated under fibrosis, or it may be considered pyramiding. Chronic fatigue is a symptom of fibrosis from what I understand. I would read the decision letter and see if this is what they explain. Zero % would be a correct rating to prevent pyramiding, that is what they did with me 2 times now.