VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this topic

Al329

Hi,

Just drop in to say thank you to this board.

I just won my claim, now sitting at 10%.  I know not a lot. 

Waited 20 years after I got out to file for anything. I had no idea where to start. Then I found this site.

Thanks!

Edited by Al329

Congratulations!  If you feel you deserve more, file a nod and dispute the disability percentage or effective date(s).  Well, that is, after you savor your win.  

Many/if not most of us got our ratings "a little at a time".  VA rarely gives you the farm on first try.  They deny you.  Then they give you one fence post.  Gee what good is that?  You appeal and get it all, after a battle.  

Thanks!

Question, I feel I was underrated at 10%.

If I file a disagreement, could that open the claim back up to reduction or complete denial? 

Edited by Al329

To be honest yes and no, whenever a veteran files a disagreement it does reopen his/her claim but in most cases the VA can not reduce your previous/current rating unless the VA can prove with more than one medical examination that your disability has improved. This is not likely to happen but some VA employees, VSOs, and some veterans would want you to believe. If this were the case the VA would have tried their best to reduce most of my ratings. Even if the VA does try to reduce your previous/current rating they (the VA) would have to send you a proposed reduction letter where you would have sixty days to respond, and your rating would not be reduced until after the VA makes a new decision. You would have sixty days to submit new evidence to support your claim against reduction and or increase.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have filed many claims and the VA has never attempted to reduce me.  However, the VSO's I have used have constantly warned me not to file for increases for fear of being reduced.  I filed a claim for an increase about a year ago and got a major increase from VA.  Don't let fear rule you.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use